none
Anytime Upgrade option missing from Win7 Pro install

Question

• I have a laptop that has our MDT 2010 deployed install of Windows 7 Pro on it. It is on our corporate domain.

I'm attempting to upgrade the laptop from Pro to Ultimate to access the Bitlocker funcitonality, however I am unable to locate the "Anytime Upgrade" option, either by searching, or by looking in the Control Panels (Small Icons).

I have done the following so far:

1) Run a "Enable Anytime Upgrade.reg" file
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\WAU]
    "Disabled"=-

2) Confirmed that our domains GPO does not prevent Anytime Upgrade from running:
    "Prevent Windows Anytime Upgrade from running." State - Not Configured

3) Reviewed rsop.msc on the local laptop to confirm Group Policy settings.

I'm still unable to gain access to the "Anytime Upgrade" function. Any other suggestions on how I can gain access to this screen? Is there something as part of MDT2010 that's causing this feature to be disabled?

Thanks!

Brendan Reid
    MCSE, CTT+

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:32 PM

All replies

• Contacted Volume Licensing.

It seems that if you use a MAK (multiple activation key) to do your initial install, you're unable to access the "Anytime Upgrade" functionality, this is by design.

Currently researching how to upgrade an existing installation of Win7 Pro volume licensing to either Win7 Ult or Ent.

Will post again if I find anything else relevant.

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:04 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Also, check this thread out: Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:05 AM
  • Thank you for the reference to that post, however it still doesn't clarify the actual mechanics of the upgrade process, whether a full re-install is required, or whether I'm able to use VAMT to insert a new key and have the Bitlocker feature go live or not.

Thanks

-B

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:07 PM
  •  

Also, check this thread out: Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade

the thread  Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade  does not discuss or explain Anytime Upgrade at all.  it totally evades the topic.  it does not really even explain OEM Upgrade, although it alludes to.  the key doc it references has apparently had its info cut-out (deleted) about the OEM Upgrade.

that thread ultimately comes down to this doc  Qualifying Operating Systems for Windows Volume Licensing.xps

the first paragraph says  "If you don’t have a pre-existing license for a genuine, qualifying OS on your PC, see the “Get Genuine Options” section in this guide."  but that blue link is not a link at all.  it is just blue text.  clicking it does nothing.

at the very bottom, the legend says  "See chart below of pre-installed OEM versions that are eligible for upgrade."  but there isn't a chart below.  there is nothing below except a final white page.  blank.   that's the end of the document!

Les quoted that same sentence about the "chart below".  was the chart absent then too?  i think so...

for consistency, i'll probably (delete) this post too.

i cannot see any images in these step-by-step instructions either.  can you?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:49 PM