none
What is the recommended way to deploy the minimum drivers from a driver pack for a specific machine? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, I am imaging HP laptops using WDS. I am finding that all drivers from a driver pack are being pushed. Is there a way to just install the necessary drivers. For example, I have a HP Probook in which imaged about 100 of them. When i check the driver count it shows about 300. When I just install the drivers individually, it shows about 80.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:21 PM

All replies

• Julio,

You should think about using MDT as it gives you better control over things like this.  If you're using MDT, it's as simple as checking a box in the deployment task that says to install ONLY the drivers that apply.  I have a dozen or so different hardware configs, and for each one, I have driver directories that have EVERY driver put out by the manufacturer.  I just setup the deployment task to apply all drivers, but only install those that apply to that hardware set.

It works just fine, and you can use WDS in conjunction with MDT.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:07 PM
  • Hi Julio, 

Like Obujuwami said that, we could use MDT to control installed drivers. We also could tick "install only matching drivers from the selection profile" in MDT. 

Here is a detail steps for using MDT.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/deploy-a-windows-10-image-using-mdt

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Hi Julio,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Currently, I am imaging HP laptops using WDS. I am finding that all drivers from a driver pack are being pushed. Is there a way to just install the necessary drivers. For example, I have a HP Probook in which imaged about 100 of them. When i check the driver count it shows about 300. When I just install the drivers individually, it shows about 80.

Hello All, thanks for your replies. Please let me restate my question. What I would like to know if there is a procedure or script to determine which missing drivers are the minimum required ones that needs to be installed on a system in general. I know driver packs sometimes support more than a single computer model and they include many more drivers than needed for a single system. I am currently pushing complete driver packs plus any driver showing as not installed regardless. By the way not using plug and play detection.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:54 PM
  • One of the things that MDT does when you run a task (capture or deployment) is to inspect the hardware it's working on.  It catalogs the hardware and uses that catalog as a reference against the drivers you have added to your MDT workbench to determine how to install drivers that will be needed on the system.  I'm not 100% sure how it does it, but it does it very well.  You could try looking in their scripts to see how it does it.  All the scripts for MDT are in the %deploymentshare%\scripts folder.

I really suggest moving to WDS and MDT working together.  It will do what you need and more with not a whole lot of setup.  There are REALLY good how to guides on the web to help you get started.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:39 PM
  • Hi Jolio,

We have not heard from you for several days, was the issue resolved?

Bests, 

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi Julio, 

As my know, the drive store is depends on device manufacturer which will decide your hardware needs how many and what kinds of drivers. I have not heard or found any procedure or script could meet your desire. But we could contact with Script forum if any one could help on create a script or if they have more resources about script.

Script forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

But at last, for your working produce more simple, I recommend to use MDT and WDS together. 

Bests, 

Joy.

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Julio,

We would like to know if those replies in your thread is helpful for your issue. If yes, we are appreciate if you could mark useful replies an answer.

Bests,

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi Julio,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:38 AM