none
USB flash drive not recognized (code 43) in Win 7 64-bit (not "the other nVidia" problem)

Question

• Hello,

I have Windows 7 64-bit running on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R, Intel P55 chipset, 4 GB RAM.

I have several USB ports, but on some of them, the USB flash drive (Kingston Data Traveler and Compact Flash external card reader) are not recognized, except for as stated below.

The driver for the bad USB port is reported as up to date.

My observations until now:

1) Memory set to 2 GB in Windows (as per instructions in the earlier thread about similar problem) caused BSOD and I had to reinstall the OS.
    2) On some USB ports, the USB flash drive is recognized.
    3) The keyboard works correctly on the same port, actually even the USB drive flashes one time before the error.
    4) Maybe the most interesting part: I have two front USB ports and internal card reader connected to two internal dual USB "hubs" on the motherboard. When I unplug the card reader (from one hub), the USB flash drive plugged into the front USB port (and connected to the other hub) is suddenly recognized.

What could be the reason and how to solve this problem?
    Is the mobo bad?
    Is the chipset "overloaded" when using both internal hubs?
    Is there a bug in Windows?

Thanks for any assistance.

Tomas
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Tomas,

It's better to update your BIOS to the latest F5 version, and apply the latest Chipset driver for your computer. You can download them from the following link:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=3240 

In addition, you can run the Troubleshooting tool in the system. If the issue persists after updating the driver and BIOS. Please upload your troubleshooting log.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to connect card reader and two USB ports to share a controller. It would reduce the power supply.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:09 AM
  • John, thanks, but I probably won't follow this at the moment as it seems I finally got the reader running properly after I got another card reader (the same as the first one). I plugged the reader to external USB port and it works ok even when the front USB panel is in use (which was the original problem where it was possible to use only either one or other connection at the same time). I will try later using the internal port for the reader, but unless there will be any problem with this (or any other device in the future) I'd rather don't play with inf files if everything I need will be working as I need. :)

So possibly the BIOS update fixed the problem.

Thanks for all tips.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 9:35 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Have you tried installing the latest BIOS for this motherboard?  That seems to have resolved the problem for other people using Gigabyte P55 boards.

Edit: Proposing as answer since Tomas mentions below that the problem appears to be resolved.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:29 AM

All replies

• Have you tried installing the latest BIOS for this motherboard?  That seems to have resolved the problem for other people using Gigabyte P55 boards.

Edit: Proposing as answer since Tomas mentions below that the problem appears to be resolved.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

It's better to update your BIOS to the latest F5 version, and apply the latest Chipset driver for your computer. You can download them from the following link:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=3240 

In addition, you can run the Troubleshooting tool in the system. If the issue persists after updating the driver and BIOS. Please upload your troubleshooting log.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to connect card reader and two USB ports to share a controller. It would reduce the power supply.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hello,

BIOS update didn't help (I also checked for chipset driver update for sure). The only difference now is that Win 7 now report an A: floppy drive (whatever that is - maybe the card reader unit itself? The integrated CF/SD slots etc... are displayed separately - I didn't connect anything new and USB is still not recognized) and that the Win7 font settings were reset to defaults. :(

Troubleshooting reports the problem but is not able to solve it.

As for the usb connection, maybe I was not precise - there are four internal USB ports (for connection of devices in the case) in form of two dual "hubs". To these I connect two front USB ports (it is one "fat" connector) and one card reader (one "slim" connector), so actually I have one spare internal port, no sharing.

Devices log is here:
    http://cid-62dc0d327defa148.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/setupapi.dev.zip

There are also two more files here:
    http://cid-62dc0d327defa148.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1
    - the unzipped log contains older data (before I reinstalled Win7)
    - the etl file may contain some relevant data from the pre-reinstallation period (the same problem was there then, too)

Please let me know if there are any more things I could do, if I should contact Gigabyte or if this seems to be Win 7 problem...

EDIT: This may be just a stupid idea, I know only little about configuration and interaction of PC components, but couldn't it be that there is some problem with the voltage on the motherboard which causes that the USB is detected, but not recognized, but when I unplug the card reader (as described in my first post), it works fine...?

Also, is it acceptable that the dev.log reports (at the very beginning) "Architecture = amd64"??

Thanks,
    Tomas
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:48 PM
  • I have virtually the exact same problem with my Gigabyte p55a-ud3 (with intel core i7 860 because that might matter) motherboard.  Sometimes it will momentarily be able to read from the usb (jump) drive, even, but that only lasts a few seconds (long enough to generate a few thumbnail previews) before explorer locks up, unable to complete it's read operations on the usb drive.  I also have a Card Reader attached to an internal USB port, and the Cared reader actually has been recognized and supposedly had the drives installed properly, but when I put an SD card in one of its slots it doesn't react at all (no read activity light on the reader itself, either).

This is incredibly frustrating since I had problems even getting this board to post in the first place.  I am on the latest firmware from gigabyte (F4) and though I saw it reinstall all the bus drivers after the update, this doesn't seem to have fixed my issue.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Have you installed the latest Intel chipset driver package for these machines?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:02 AM

• EDIT: This may be just a stupid idea, I know only little about configuration and interaction of PC components, but couldn't it be that there is some problem with the voltage on the motherboard which causes that the USB is detected, but not recognized, but when I unplug the card reader (as described in my first post), it works fine...?

Also, is it acceptable that the dev.log reports (at the very beginning) "Architecture = amd64"??

You can probably disable the floppy controller in the BIOS to make that A drive go away.

This could be power-related, esp. since you say that the drive works in some ports and does not work in others.  Please look in device manager (view by connection) and try a few different ports again.  When the drive works, do you see both the drive and the card reader appearing under the same USB hub?  Or does it only work when they appear under different hubs?

Yes, the 64-bit version of Windows refers to the architecture as amd64.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Just two comments now before I continue with experiments:

Aaharnos , the latest BIOS for UD3R is F5, perhaps it is the same also for UD3? (But it didn't solve my problem anyway.)

Mark , I found out that Intel drivers do not care about USB:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3151&DwnldID=18052&lang=eng

"The Intel Chipset Device Software does not install drivers for AGP or USB. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UTILITY IF YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER IS RECOMMENDING IT TO CORRECT AN "AGP DRIVER," "AGP GART," OR "USB DRIVER" ISSUE; IT WILL NOT CORRECT YOUR ISSUE. "

What is the way to set up the drivers correctly then? According to the dev file I posted, is it possible to say what exactly in the .inf file is causing the non-recognized status?

Thanks.
    EDIT again - Hm, but this Intel driver http://www.techspot.com/downloads/486-intel-chipset-software-installation-utility.html actually gets installed by Win 7 without any trouble... Spooky (to me).
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Soo, now I'm in the state when the card reader is not recognized nor detected at all anywhere... :((

Is it safe to downdate BIOS to the previous version where it worked at least under certain conditions? (Such as when the USB front panel was disconnected.) I see no other change that could suddenly make the reader disappear.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:21 PM
  • EDIT again - Hm, but this Intel driver http://www.techspot.com/downloads/486-intel-chipset-software-installation-utility.html actually gets installed by Win 7 without any trouble... Spooky (to me).

Just to clarify, installing that version of the chipset driver package didn't resolve this USB issue, right?

As for your card reader not appearing anywhere, do you mean it's not showing up in device manager, or that you don't see it in Explorer?  There was a change made in Win7 so that if there's no media in a card reader, the drives won't appear in Explorer.  (There's a way to disable that if you want.  Let me know if you're interested in that, and later tonight I'll try to track down another thread where I posted details on that.)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:45 PM
  • No, installing the mentioned version of chipset driver didn't resolved the USB problem.

The card reader is not shown neither in Explorer nor in Device manager. I have inserted a few cards (already earlier) to try. It worked before the BIOS update (inserted card was detected etc.). Now there is no trace of the card reader in the system nor any error message appears about it, wherever or however I plug it. Earlier I was able to see USB front panel was all four slots as extra units in the Explorer even if they were empty (then it was only the USB front panel that was making trouble). Now, after I updated BIOS and played with various USB front panel / card reader connection scenarios, the card reader is "lost". (The green light is on on the card reader though.)

So basically all the updates led
    from "not recognized" (for USB flash disks inserted to some USB ports) and OK (card reader) status
    to OK (for USB flash disks inserted to USB ports) and "not detected" (for the card reader - whatever port is used) status
    - where earlier I was able to see one or other USB device at least under certain circumstances, now the card reader is never available.

How should I proceed?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Ah, at the moment I suspend my query as it seems I "burned" (already yesterday) the reader signal (transfer or whatever) cable when changing the connector orientation while trying various to be functional connections... Will get back when (if) I try a different reader...
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:46 PM
  • The latest BIOS listed for my p55a-ud3 model is F4 on the gigabyte product site.  I have upgraded to the latest versions of all of the drivers listed on the gigabyte site, and have installed the Windows 7 (64-bit) driver for my card reader (although when I initially updated to Win 7 on my older AMD hardware, this card reader kept functioning just fine).

It seems I'm caught in some bad combination of Windows 7 64-bit, P55 chipset, and Core i7 860 processor.  All of my USB ports work just fine (including the one on the card reader itself) when I connect a printer or keyboard device.  But none of them work for an reasonable amount of time when I attach a device with removable storage (card reader, usb jump drive/key, or even my T-mobile G1).  THey all either show up as "Unrecognized Device", or they are recognized, but not actually accessible through explorer (or even cmd prompt).

I'm calling Gigabyte directly about this tonight because it seems directly related to the P55/Win7 64-bit iPhone syncing issue I heard a lot about last month (and thought had been completely resolved).

I've tried almost every combination of settings I can think of in BIOS (disabled USB/SATA 3.0 support, USB legacy Support, etc.).  I have also trid setting the C1 execution state to both enabled and disabled without any noticeable difference.

I'll post back here if Gigabyte has anything helpful to say.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Yeah... nothing helpful.  They just suggested I do a fresh install or that I try not connecting any my card reader/front usb ports.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

After updating the BIOS, it would load the default settings, as the floppy drive A, you can disable it. As your Chipset driver, i recommend you try the one from the GiGABYTE website, you can get the it from the following link according to your system version:

In addition, you can try the following hotfix to replace some USB files in your system.  

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976972

Good Luck!
    John
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:02 AM
  • John, thanks, I had all the updates but as far as I know the nVidia set didn't help and before I was able to evaluate possible success of BIOS update, I (at that time probably) messed up the polarity and the reader was gone so I was not able to evaluate further.

But, well, you won't believe me... I got another card reader, this time Eurocase with Genesys drivers, but the drivers are not compatible with Win7. I am able to see individual slots in Explorer, but the cards are not recognized (and no LED lights). I tried to google something but seems there are no new drivers... Is there any way how to make this running, or do I have to try another reader maker? (Like going back to the original Scythe Cama Reader which was funcional under certain circumstances before I burnt it...) I tried to install the older drivers in compatibility mode, but no success. I tried to install them in Virtual PC - XP mode, but nothing changed.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Tomas, after checking the log you uploaded, i found some inf files are corrupted. It's better to try the folloing steps to fix your issue. 

Show hidden folders
    ========================= 
    1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options". 
    2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders". 
    3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Rename the USB inf relate files
    =========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.
    2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked as Allow, click OK, click OK.
    3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.
    4. Please select all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. 
    5. Press Delete to delete them
    6. Please restart your computer.

Please plug in the USB device to test the results. If the issue persists, please try the following steps. 

Modify the Registry
    =====================
    1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.
    2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}  entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.
    5. Restart the computer, and test our issue.

If the issue still persist, please reinstall USB controllers
    ===========================
    Use the Mouse
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    =============
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu. 
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it. 
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

I hope this would help you!

John
    Friday, December 18, 2009 10:04 AM
  • John, thanks, but I probably won't follow this at the moment as it seems I finally got the reader running properly after I got another card reader (the same as the first one). I plugged the reader to external USB port and it works ok even when the front USB panel is in use (which was the original problem where it was possible to use only either one or other connection at the same time). I will try later using the internal port for the reader, but unless there will be any problem with this (or any other device in the future) I'd rather don't play with inf files if everything I need will be working as I need. :)

So possibly the BIOS update fixed the problem.

Thanks for all tips.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 21, 2009 9:35 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:23 PM
  • It's a good news, I also think it's the new BIOS make it heppened, since updating the BIOS can improving the hardware's compatibility.

Thanks for your feedback. If the USB issue occur again, you can ty my last suggestions to fix it.
    John
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:47 PM
  • I had this problem and it was a royal pain in the A** for me  too.  I tried all the fixes which of  course didn't work, then some smart Alecky kid comes along with this fix which I tried and it worked.  I doubt it will work for everyone, laptop users in paticular, but hey, like I said it worked for me and my desktop.

Now it may sound silly but this is what I did.  Uninstalled the device in  device manager which had an error code 43 next to it.  Shut the machine down. Disconnected the power cord.  Press the power button a couple of times for good measure, (to make sure the capacitors are completely dischared) you may notice a brief LED flash or Fan whirl when you first press the on button even though the power cord has been removed, this is residiual power left behind being discharged.  Leave the machine for a minute or two just to make sure.  Boot the machine up.  The card reader will automatically be installed, you can try it once you've have logged in.   

This worked for me.  For some unknown reason there was a device error produced during installation, and even though I had subsequently removed it from device manager (many times) residual power wasn't allowing the process to be completed properly.  Removing the device and allowing the power power to drain completely from the system allowed the device to be reomved properly.  I expect that there is a way to remove it via the registry, but like I said, if it can be done this way, you may save yourself a headache.  Removing the battery if you have a laptop may also do the trick.  Just make sure you remove the faulty device from device manager before you do the power drain step. 

This happened to both my son's and my own windows 7 64bit machines, and this fix did the trick.  Hope this helps you guys.

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Trinaty Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

I tried all the solutions I found on the Internet like removing the power, removing battery, removing my external seagate drive, deleting from the device manager, etc. etc.

For a while if I just swapped out USB cables it would work.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Seagate and Lenovo.

I paid for driver update software that is advertised all over these sites - tell you it is free but when you want to use it you have to pay.  BTW it did not update all my drivers so I found it to be a waste of money.

I finally went to the Lenovo site myself which was www.customersupport.lenovo.com and updated the machine.  Most companies have an automated driver update site for you. (When you buy a computer you should check that they do)  After I flashed the Bios my external drive is working again.  Hopefully that was the solution.

We are not in the Renaissance of Technology yet!!!

Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Yesterday, I suddenly got the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" when attaching my USB memory to the front ports.  Connecting to the rear ones were ok, though!?!?  I stayed up most part of the night fighting this problem and trying a lot of suggestions in different forums - including the above method of removing UpperFilter - but to no avail...

This morning, I started VMware Player and found that it could not start its USB service for managing USB ports between the host and guests.  Googling that error, I found an article in their knowledge base:
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016809

The article is not aimed at the "USB Device Not Recognized" error, but reading #3 and #4 I started to see a connection...  I have an AMD system, but could not find an "AMD USB Filter Driver" in the Device Manager, so I proceded to the manual registry method in #4.  This is an extended version of the UpperFilter method above, where the usbfilter driver is removed more thoroughly.

And this did the trick!  Yaay!  Not only does VMware work, but my USB memory works in the front ports again.  I'm soo happy right now!  Sometimes, even the littlest thing can save your day! ;-)

I think I found the source of this "AMD USB Filter Driver" and how it ended up on my computer.  I upgraded the AMD ATi Catalyst package, and I believe it also installed the filter driver.  Removal via the Catalyst installer is described here:
    http://www.smartdongle.com/remove-amd-usb-filter-driver-ati-catalyst-install-manager

A conflict where (at least this particular user) needs the filter drivers for a Bluetooth dongle is described (but not solved) here:
    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=383&threadid=145280

I have not installed my Bluetooth dongle yet, but with my usual luck, I bet I end up with a similar conflict...

Anyways, I hope my findings will help some of you out there with similar problems!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:15 AM