server 2012 r2 live migration fails with hardware error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, we just upgraded one of our hyper v hosts from server 2012 to server 2012 r2; previously we had live replication setup between it and another box on the network which was also running server 2012. After installing server 2012 r2 when a live migration is attempted we get the message:

"The virtual machine cannot be moved to the destination computer. The hardware on the destination computer is not compatible with the hardware requirements of this virtual machine. Virtual machine migration failed at migration source."

The servers in question are both dell, currently we have a poweredge r910 running server 2012 and a poweredge r900 running server 2012 r2. The section under processor for "migrate to a physical computer using a different processor" is already checked and this same vm was successfully being live replicated before the upgrade to server 2012 r2. What would have changed around hardware requirements?

We are migrating from server 2012 on the poweredge r910 to server 2012 r2 on the poweredge r900. Also When I say this was an upgrade, we did a full re install and wiped out the installation of server 2012 and installed server 2012 r2, this was not an upgrade installation.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:39 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem, similar setup to yours.

Make sure the VMSwitches on both hosts have the same name. Silly, but that's what fixed it for me.

• Marked as answer by Theantioch Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

Make sure the VMSwitches on both hosts have the same name. Silly, but that's what fixed it for me.

• Marked as answer by Theantioch Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:44 PM

You are correct, to be clear on this you have to delete the virtual switch on either box and rename it the same as the other. If you have a teaming setup the team name does not need to be changed, nor does I imagine, a single network adaptor name (though I could not test this).
    • Edited by Theantioch Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:53 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:51 PM
  • I also had same issue after installing a Server 2012 R2 into our 2012 Hyper-v farm.  I did not have to delete and re-create like Theantioch however. I just renamed the Virtual  Switches on the new system to mach the existing systems and it worked. 
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I had to delete one of my switches and recreate it too get them in the same order on both machines. Then I could "move.." machines again.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:54 PM
  • This is absolutely ridiculous that a) this is broken in the first place, b) this is the solution and c) it hasn't been fixed yet!

Sort it out Microsoft!!

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem however my Virtual Switches are both named the same and they still will not move. Some of my VM's have moved OK (including some which are the same spec and set up as the ones that won't move). Any other ideas?
    Friday, January 17, 2014 10:56 AM
  • The only cause I’ve seen so far is virtual switches being named differently. I do remember that one of our VMs didn’t move, but we simply bypassed this problem, using one-time backup (VeeamZIP, more specifically).  

If it’s one-time operation you can use the same procedure for the VMs in question -> backup and restore them at new server.

Kind regards, Leonardo.

Friday, January 17, 2014 11:58 AM
  • I had the same issue but I found changing the virtual switch name on the source and rebooting the source VM then allowed the move to take place.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 3:52 PM
  • I can confirm it's the vSwitches. I had different naming conventions on 1 of the hyper-v hosts, so i renamed them but still no go. But after i removed the nic from the VM that was attached to this (just renamed) vSwitch i could move the VM.

As i cannot reboot the hyper-v host at the moment, i suspect a recreation or reboot or mayby a restart of the responsible service might do the trick. 

• Proposed as answer by cg123 Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Theantioch Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:42 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:28 PM
  • Same here...switches have the same name, yet had to remove the NIC from config to be able to "move" the vm...seems to defeat the purpose rather...

Why am I not surprised M$?

Cheers

Colin.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:16 PM
  • I had the same problem, even with the Virtual Switch named the same (I always leave it default.)

To fix this error: I had to disconnect the NIC card from the Virtual Machine's Settings. Then it worked.

Hyper-V Manager -> Click the Virtual Machine -> Settings ->Network Adapter -> Virtual Switch drop down -> Not Connected

• Proposed as answer by dxyong Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:11 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:03 PM
  • If you use the following Powershell command on the Virtual Machine you can leave the Switch connected:

Set-VMNetworkAdapter “VMNAME” –MinimumBandwidthWeight 0

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:23 PM