none
Windows 7 Starter on HP Mini, Reinstalling it from a wiped HDD

Question

• My HP Mini hard drive was wiped because of an error.  Im tryin to reinstall windows7 starter and i kinda figured out how to get past the error when i first turn it on cuz it says im missing a bootMNGR.  I have to boot from a flash Drive and i got to the installation part a couple time but then i get the message to click on my OS and if its not in the window then i need to install drivers.  I browsed the files and find driver there but i dont know what im looking for or if the right ones are even there.  I also tried Windows 7 PE Rescuer but i have no clue how to use it or if it will even help my problem.  The HP Mini i have has ATOM N455 @ 1.66GHz, 1666 MHz, BIOS Version F.13

I Would just like to get my OS back on it so i can use it again and trying to contact HP is a Joke.  Any and All help is appreciated.  Its also a pain cuz i have to copy everything to a flash to do cuz i dont have a CD drive. thx

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you need reinstall Windows 7 via flash drive due to you have not a CD drive.

If you want to boot from flash drive, you should set your USB device as the first boot device in BIOS configuration.

Whatever, if you want to reinstall Windows 7, you need the installation files.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:51 AM

All replies

• Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Hi kkutta, how did you setup the bootable usb to install windows starter? Maybe there is an issue there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:59 PM
  • yes the initial problem was i got an error when turning on the computer about a missing bootmngr so i was unable to boot from the flash drive.  i set it up correctly by partitioning the flash however i hadto partition it on a different cpu cuz when i tried to do i from bios recovery it would reject that option and restart back to the initial error of missing a boot mngr.  That might of caused the problem.  i eventually was able to get past that point with windows PE recovery but it wouldnt list my OS then asked me to install drivers.  I know thru trial and error that from that point i cleaned and wiped the NetBook HDD and was following a guide which didn't give specific ratios on volume to set to system and windows when partitioning.  I know i need to do that again cuz it cant even try to install windows now because i didnt leave enough space for the OS on the windows dir.  however i still need to resolve the problem of the boot mngr and drivers.  I prob need to repartition HDD but i dont want to do it until i know the correct amount of volume to allocate to each partition so i dont have to repeat that process.  The main issue i really need is repairing bootmngr and drivers if anyone can supply that info i believe i figure it out from there.  Thank you everyone for the help and i am not gonna try contacting HP again because it is almost impossible to get effective and efficient help so please DO NOT reply about contacting that worthless company and for windows with their outrageous fee to talk to there tech that will not be an option either.  Thanx everyone and i look forward to your help

krys harris
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you need reinstall Windows 7 via flash drive due to you have not a CD drive.

If you want to boot from flash drive, you should set your USB device as the first boot device in BIOS configuration.

Whatever, if you want to reinstall Windows 7, you need the installation files.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:51 AM