Store issues after updating to Windows 8.1 Update 1. 0xc03f42e5 / 0xc03f424e RRS feed

• Question

• On my new laptop I was installing store/modern apps just fine earlier tonight, now since the update to the new 8.1 update the Store has become very unstable. When I click install on an app in the store, I get the loading animation at the top for a very long time, then the store closes. It does however add the app to my app list, though in an "Error" state.

If I click on this app, I get the error "This app can't install. Check the Windows Store for more info about Adobe Photoshop Express.", followed by a link to "Go to the Store". If I click the link, it takes me to the Installations screen where I see this app (and others I've tried to install), all with "This app wasn't installed - view details.".

Clicking on that link gives me "Something happened (how very specific of you Microsoft) and this app couldn't be installed. Please try again. Error code: 0xc03f42e5".  I've also had error code 0xc03f424e too. Bizarrely, neither of which bring up ANY results on Google or Bing. Have I found a brand new bug here?

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling my NIC and Wireless NIC, doing a troubleshooting on Windows Update (which did say it fixed stuff), a sfc /scannow. The only thing I've not done that I can think of is to create another admin user and delete the profile of this user, because that's a hassle I'd rather not have if I can avoid it.

Any MS employees here care to lend me a hand please?

Edit1: The error code that the Windows Update troubleshooter indicated, 0x80070490, pointed me to an article that recommended I run the following commands:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

The first of which is running now, though after 5 minutes it's still at 20% so might take a while.

Edit2: Well the first above command said it found no problems after about 20 minutes. Am running the second restore one though anyway, just in case.
    • Edited by Ryster Friday, April 11, 2014 8:58 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:44 PM

Answers