none
Drive "free space" is missing in Windows Explorer, why?

General discussion

• What advantage was there in removing this? Why is this better for the customer?
    The Status Bar is disabled by default, the people who will be enabling it are technical people who need to get that kind of information.
    I can understand if the option was never there before, fine - but you've ACTIVELY REMOVED a feature since Windows 95? What are you guys thinking?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22status%20bar%22%20drive%20%22free%20space%22%20%22Windows%207%22%20&hl=en&meta=
    Please address this!
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:58 AM

All replies

• The new Libraries span drives, and it was also removed due to a user anxiety problem, usually caused by reserved space allocations for the Virtual Memory or TEMP set asides. If you want free space data, rightclick the drive icon and Properties.
    In 7 it is intended that you use your Libraries to handle data, and leave the data management to the system. It was an 'ease of use' issue. For the more technically minded, (an unbelievably small minority) the data is still there to see.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:36 PM
  • So you're actually suggesting that I right click on a drive and choose properties because someone was foolish enough to remove the option for drive space in the status bar?
    When the ____ are you MVP's going to stop blindly defending stupid decisions and be honest here? I don't think I've seen a single complaint on here with "hey that's a good point, we'll be sure to forward this on"

Are your jobs just purely to deflect problems?
    Seriously you've LEFT THE STATUS BAR IN it's an OPTION - if you dont' want us to use it, remove the bloody thing, don't just make it useless for no apparent reason.
    Also, you know as well as I do libraries aren't going ANYWHERE, if I were to guess I would say the libraries are a poor attempt at the begginings of users becoming accustomed with datatypes, it looks like some cheap consolation prize fo the lack of WinFS

Final comment - it doesn't really matter what reason it was done, see the google link and the frustrated customers at this idiot change and how many are complaining?
    Thank you for your response but frankly it does not cut it in the slightest and I _really_ tire of any suggestions here being shot down with some terrible, terrible excuse!
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Agreed, scotty.

Not so much an answer as a(nother) M$ condescension ... being a Microsoft user I'm surprised you're surprised by it ;-)

So ... there's a bunch of people who want this feature, and another bunch who apparently have panic attacks if they know how much space they have left.

Microsoft, how hard would it be to offer a tick-box somewhere in your layouts - "Show free space on the status bar yes/no". Set to "no" by default for people who prefer to live in the Library nether-world, where you don't get to know how much space you have left (even via Properties); just how much you've used).

On that note, could someone at Microsoft please tell me which brand of hdds to buy such that I never have to care about big my Libraries get?

Being one of the amazingly astonishingly tiny number (so small as to be statistically irrelevant, evidently) of technically minded people in the world who understand the concept (and cost) of finite resources, I'd like to understand a bit more about this new limitless bounty.

:-)
    • Edited by Swordfrog Sunday, June 14, 2009 9:58 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 9:14 PM
  • It isn't missing, it is just not displayed by default.

To show drive free space in the Computer folder, press Alt+V to open the view menu.  Click on the "Chose Details..." item.  You will see that "Free Space" is one of the available items.

"Percent Full" shows a nice graphical representation as a bar.

These details will be shown both in the details view and tiles, but they won't be shown for removable media drives.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Yep, that info certainly is there at the Computer level, and is displayed there by default (at least in RC1) - no need to choose the Free Space coz it's already selected.

But it IS missing from the drive/volume-level & folder-level status bar, and that's the point.

The Computer view appears to be the only place it's visible. You've got to go out of your way to find it, and manually choose the drive you need a free-space display for - breaking your workflow in the process.

No-one is going to die because it's not there, don't get me wrong, but it's handy enough that you really notice the lack if you got used to having it there for the drive context you're working in.

Appreciate your input bnborg, and thanks, but sorry the change albeit small is a retrograde and ill-considered one IMHO.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Scotty

Just because you don't understand or don't agree with an answer to your question does not give you the right to post abusive comments directed toward the people who are simply trying to be helpful. This type of behavior can only deprecate your point. If the Moderators here know why a particular change was made, it's our responsibility to pass that information on without any FUD or speculation included.

Mark's answer was technically correct, the free space reporting for the Status Bar was removed when the new Libraries were included in the OS. Because of the way the Status Bar reports free space and because it was designed long before the Libraries were conceived, it was seen to be reporting inaccurate information about the free space on the drives. There was a choice of completely recoding the way the Status Bar reported the free space or simply removing that capability. Since there are many other ways to see the free space for a drive, they decided to remove that code.

Another reason is that the Status Bar has always been close to useless when reporting free space, since it is not a realtime component. If the free space on a drive changes, the Status Bar will not reflect the new free space number until there is a refresh of Windows Explorer.

The Status Bar was not completely removed, because it is still useful since it is an easy way to see the number of parent objects in a folder.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, June 15, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Oh, my bad.

Yes, I misunderstood the OP.

You are absolutely correct.  Removing that useful feature is completely wrong. 

I too always enable the status bar.  By removing the usefulness of it, maybe they are trying to encourage us to use the horrible details pane instead.

Free Space on the Status Bar isn't the only feature they removed from Windows 7 that has been with us since the introduction of Windows 95, not to mention all of the other nice features that were added since and are now suddenly gone.  Flyout sub-menus, customizable toolbars, etc.  But these removals are being discussed in other threads.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I meant what I said, I didn't mean to seem sarcastic.

I guess it's my lack of enthusiam for the Windows 7 interface.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:05 PM
  • What everyone is forgetting is that Win7 = Vista 2nd Edition nothing more!  I think there are tons of missing features that were either there or easy to do in every version since 95 that now take more effort to do in vista and Vista 2nd Edition(win7 LOL)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:44 PM
  • What everyone is forgetting is that Win7 = Vista 2nd Edition nothing more!  I think there are tons of missing features that were either there or easy to do in every version since 95 that now take more effort to do in vista and Vista 2nd Edition(win7 LOL)

Or Vista R2, to borrow a naming practice from the Microsoft server products.  The server version of Windows 7 is Windows Server 2008 R2.  I've said it before:  Windows 7 is like Vista--only worse.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Look frankly I couldn't care less why it was removed, it's two thousand and nine, Microsoft have been around longer than I have. (that is a long, long time!)
    If you can't get someone to code something as simple as a check on drive free space, that's TERRIFYING.

If it's so easy to display it when I right click and properties, how hard is it to call that data and drop it in the status bar?
    This is one of many, stupid, unnecessary annoyances with an operating system VASTLY superior to Vista.

You've come so far, cleaned up so much rubbish yet leave such silly things in there like this.
    How you got it faster than Vista I don't know, I figure once you add features and bloat you're not going back but somehow Windows 7 IS faster than Vista.
    Why the heck cant a simple coder in the explorer team add this.

I don't give a darn if it's 15 vocal people here or 5 vocal people here there are MANY people who don't like this change, it's stupid and frankly it wastes my TIME, I do not want to damn well have to run some stupid gadget on my second display just to show me drive space free!
    Just because something is old doesn't mean it needs 'fixing' - libraries be damned.

and for goodness sakes, let us turn these horrible breadcrumbs off and have the up button back would you? We have to use the damn thing and changing it to be awkward isn't cool, it's not clever, it's not helping me - why can't someone solve this.
    As for the comment about tthird party solutions, that's a sad sad tale - that's useless because I work in support, I work on literally hundreds of machines a month - I do not and can not install a third party solution in to each machine! Therefore the CORE EXPLORER of the OS needs this, otherwise I'm going to be frustrated.

I wouldn't create such a damn fuss if it wasn't there in the first place buti t was and now explorer is worse.
    Also thanks for your reply Ronnie at least yours wasn't the typical condescending fud we're getting accustomed to around here.
    Tell your people we're not happy, seriously not bloody happy (and just watch how many 'vote as helpfuls' I get for this, make a foolish decision and I'll call on it.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I'd just like to +1 this request - the free space number missing from the status bar is one of the very few things that annoy me with the otherwise excellent W7. Please add it as an option, with a warning that it won't work correctly in libraries spanning multiple drives etcetc - my libraries span exactly 1 drive, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see my free space without additional clicks. Thanks.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Thanks minttunator!
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Insert Windows 7 Media and start Windows Setup (setup.exe) as administrator. Click install now and accept license agreement click next Select UPGRADE and wait 40-60 min to fix Drives Free Space indicator...
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:54 PM
  • What? No it doesn't!?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Has anyone actually tried this and had it work?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Yes I have, it's rubbish, it does not work and it's still broken.
    Unacceptable.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I am also frustrated by the lack of Free Space in status bar.
    Since Win7 is already in RTM branch cycle this option will not be in RTM.
    But hopefully they will put it in SP1
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:38 PM
  • "But hopefully they will put it in SP1"
    ashrack, I'm sure they will fix a number of broken things in SP1. However like Vista it won't help.

Win7 is well on its way to setting a new record for lack of adoption. And the strangest thing may be that the reasons are already completely obvious. We truly haven't seen this little user configurability since perhaps Win 3.0.  Add to this 'our way or the highway' attitude things like the utterly bizarre new command line search function that requires you to memorize what is essentially a "search language" and Win7 is floundering before it hits shelves.

Large companies which are the bread and butter of MS customer base are already expressing doubt. Because we have several thousands lisences (All XP) my own company had reps from MS stop by. I got so tired of hearing nonsense like "It seems strange now but we think your people will like it".

There is a disconnected arrogance that you can see from MS as well as the people here answering questions. I've lost count of how many times I've read here what is essentially "we think this is better for you".
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:10 PM
  • It does not work, he is wrong.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Ronnie,
    Whilst some of us may not be happy with the reason and outcome of this at least you have posted a resonable reply (unlike some of the other replies).

Thank you!
    Old Windows User
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:57 PM
  • It's sad we have to thank them for a 'reasonable reply' since we've become accustomed to them blindly supporting 'the motherland'
    It's still a ridiculous answer and a ridiculous move to take the feature away, let's make using explorer harder!
    Stupidity.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Explorer is becoming less and less usable every new version. I can not understand how they managed to broke a tool that was very good in the past (XP).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:47 PM
  • +1 on the "bring back the up button"
    +1 on the free space
    +1 get rid of the navigation pane, bring back XP style
    +1 on the Classic" theme

+1 on the ....... aw forget it, just stick windows 2000 GUI on Windows 7 instead of yet another fisher price GUI
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:54 PM
  • It's a travesty Zaphiris, they simply do not give a damn about people trying to get work done, they are trying to appease the mac crowd.
    The stupidity is epic.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:19 AM
  • I installed w7 on a test machine and after spending about an hour trying to retrograde file explorer to be useful like it used to be I went on a search to find out why the status bar does not display free space.  Ths MVP answers are stupid, not the mvp's themselves.  If i can click computer and see the free space then they can display it in the status bar.  I was going to install w7 on 3 different machines and recommend it to my work for several other reasons but the lack of the free space indicator in the status bar is enough annoyance to wish I had never intstalled W7 in the first place.  Its like removing the fuel guage from your car.  Sure you can thump the tank but why???
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Doubleplusgood on all the plus-one newspeak stuff, unless Amazon erases it.

Or just ACK, as it used to be known.

>aw forget it, just stick windows 2000 GUI on Windows 7 instead of yet another fisher price GUI
    ..pondering.

I won't insult the MVPs.  I presume they at least have to sip the Kool-Aid.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:35 PM
  • you are clicked on computer of course it will display.  We are going to have to wait for someone to sell an addon just like they did to fix the ribbon issue in office 07.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Dear Ronnie and Mark,
        I happen to agree with Scotty... I am barely able to contain my contempt for your poor, arrogant, and condescending answers. The part that really makes me angry is that you don't even see that you are doing it. Scotty and the many others out there who are totally outraged at how dumbed down this "OS" is, are not small in number. This is a step backward. I think you underestimate how many people use many if not most of the items removed from this edition of Windows.

I made my living programming on Unix system. Serious programming on billing systems that can handle hundreds of millions of accounts. I say this so you understand how into Unix I had to be. I still like programming on it more than on Windows. Now here is my point: many if not all of Unix and Linux 'people' for want of a better word, slag Microsoft and its OS and its office suite and its database product, etc. etc. etc. I didn't. In fact I usually was the lone voice saying that MS products are not at all bad and do what they are supposed to, as advertised. I agree that poor decisions were made vis a vis security (like userland having direct access to the kernel... an invitation to hack a system), and I absolutely despise Microsoft's business practises. Embrace and extend means the same as corrupt someone else's code base to ensure MS vendor lock in. Snuffing out the little guys. Abusing its monopoly. I include this so you know exactly where I stand. I think Microsoft's products are decent and I have no problem using them, even if I don't like how they conduct themselves. And I don't think Apple is any better, including vendor lock in on hardware as well.

Now here is the thing. I said had no problem using MS products. 'Had' is the key word here. Now I just built a very expensive work station for use as a Digital Audio Workstation. So I am stuck with it for a while until it wear's out or I feel like replacing it in a few years. However I now have a problem with MS products. I think Windows 7 literally sucks. It is as I say so dumbed down it becomes a chore for any power user out there to do things. And whenever someone asks if a feature can be put BACK in (and usually there are hundreds of people asking this across the forums which means thousands are wishing for it), all they get is condescending answers from MVPs who defend this heaping pile of turd they call an operating system. I know you don't think of what you are saying as such, since you obviously have such a love for MS or you wouldn't try so hard to be recognized by them as MVPs. As you might be aware, love blinds people to the flaws in the one they love. You are too close to MS to see the flaws and don't see that MS bone headed this OS only slightly less than Vista. Everything works, or most things work in this edition, except it is a pain in the ____ to use.

Good operating systems can present a simplified interface for average or casual users, but allow the system to be personalized, adding extra functionality to the interface through configuration or adding system configuration utilities via install apps. The same as adding Windows Components from the add programs tool, with some added from options menus. If Microsoft wanted to simplify the interface, this was a far better way to do it. And don't try to give us some snivelling MS suck up speech. This OS has a poorly thought out GUI. It is oriented to the slowest kids in the class, slanted to the lowest common denominator instead of the average user who is smarter than you think they are. Most MVPs I know work as data nazis in corporate environments. That's right, I said data nazis. People who like to lock everything down, and not allow people the freedom to personalize their PCs a little in a world of total conformity. If you don't allow them to do much with their system, it is no wonder you don't think them capable of things. I see the people using their PCs and they do use many of the things that have been removed from the GUI which made life easier to use. Probably by the same Einsteins who are telling me that 'ribbons' are far easier to use. I spend brutal amounts of time trying to find features that are not on the ribbons. It is ridiculous. And I am not the greatest 'office' user.

The bottom line here is that MS is managing to piss off many of their most important customers. The power users who help the managers on the floor decide what to buy. You think the data nazis have the final word. No. Wrong. Nadda. The managers of the computer users tell the IT boss what they want, and if the manager of the computer users don't like it, they tell them to get something different. Computer users who don't like a product won't use it. And if they have to use it, there will be a lot of complaints and a change will come. And usually power users will be listened to. And I'm sure they won't like this edition. To top it off, businesses are already pissed at MS for the continual forced obsolescence of products that work perfectly well in terms of what is needed out of them. Truthfully, if MS doesn't force businesses to move on from XP they wouldn't. When people find out that they can't do many of the things that made life easier for them in XP, you will have a lot of unhappy customers. Same goes for Office 2007. There is a reason so many haven't switched to it yet. Too many people don't like ribbons, like me. So there is no point switching from 2003 to 2007, especially if the latter isn't as easy to use/makes it more difficult and time consuming. Those ribbons cannot possibly hold as many functional elements as menus. And yes I know you add individual commands to the top of the application, but by the time I am done there won't be any more room for them.

Ah well... when my computer gets old enough, or when I finally lose my patience, I will start buying Apple. I like Apple less than MS because I really hate the hardware lock in. Buy I have used Apple computers, and the interface is better and not as dumbed down as Windows 7. That is quite a trick, getting someone to buy something from a company they don't like. I actually almost went with a power mac pro instead of my new windows workstation. I  am now sorry I didn't.  If Apple should come to their senses and offer to sell versions of the OS to install on PCs, I will be the first to dump this sorry excuse for an OS.

I have tried not to cuss, but was not successful everywhere. But understand this, it is no where near how upset I am especially with your replies. I am taking it out on you, but you are just the straw that broke the camel's back. I have seen similar comments and 'answers' from MVPs in the last few months that I have had W7 installed. I didn't like any of them either. Not at all. Now you are chastising someone's honest response. Instead of being patronizing, you should ask yourself, 'why is he so angry to respond like he did? maybe I should take a look at this OS from arms length, instead of blindly supporting the MS point of view.'  MS GUI designers should too. But it seems

Regards,

Bill Rosmus
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:44 AM
  • I was a power user - a departmental head at a site with 5000 people using PCs and the like.   I took very seriously the choice of hard and software.   Now I'm retired, and I take a more relaxed view.   Win 7 works a lot faster on my machines than XP Pro, and is pretty competent.   I like the way it found drivers for all the various peripherals, without me having to search the web for them.   GOOD!   There are bugs and snags - like this one - but I am the eternal optimist and I hope Win 7 SP1 will fix it.   The message should have got through by now (or MS are stupider than I give them credit for).

BUT - a BIG BUT - I've been called in by several friends who bought new machines, with Vista and Office 2007, and couldn't drive them.   The end result, with happy customers, was to revert to XP and Office 2003.  Ribbons are not intuitive to the folks I talk to - maybe it's their age.  Worse, several of them are lawyers in large practices, and they use features in Office 2003 that were removed in 2007.   So they are all using XP and Office 2003, and wondering what the heck to do when those products die.

I wish I knew what to advise them.   Is there going to be an Office 2010 with configurable menus - ribbons for those who like them, proper menus for those who don't?   Otherwise, I'm going to have to borrow my daughter's Mac and learn how to drive that.
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:01 PM
  • How hard is it to select either tiles or content. Now your drive space indicator is restored.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:19 PM
  • It isn't missing, it is just not displayed by default.

To show drive free space in the Computer folder, press Alt+V to open the view menu.  Click on the "Chose Details..." item.  You will see that "Free Space" is one of the available items.

"Percent Full" shows a nice graphical representation as a bar.

These details will be shown both in the details view and tiles, but they won't be shown for removable media drives.

Now how hard is that?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:40 PM
  • I agree and would like to also request that this feature be added to Windows 7 SP1.

+1 to bring back free space in the status bar
    +1 to bring back the "up button"
    +1 to give the option of reverting to XP Classic menus
    +1 to bringing back the "save as" dialogs in XP, thus removing the need to click on "computer" each time you want to save to a drive

Microsoft, I think you should have a poll and see how many users want this back.  I think you would be very surprised by the results of how many users are angered by this feature being missing from Vista and 7...
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I second those!!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I too find the lack of the free space in the status bar to be a major annoyance. I am a software developer and one of our goals when enhancing our products is to reduce the number of clicks that a user must do to perform a function. In this case, Microsoft has gone from no clicks to several clicks. Doesn't seem like good customer focus to me. One of the MVPs suggested:

"Mark's answer was technically correct, the free space reporting for the Status Bar was removed when the new Libraries were included in the OS."

Well how about this idea? Don't display it for Libraries (which at this point I see no reason why I would use them) but DO display free space for physical drives. Everyone wins! I think we all understood that the display was not always real time since that would most likely be somewhat of a performance hit, but when I am in file cleaning mode, I understood this and hit F5 periodically. It is important to keep at least 20% free space on drives and the amount of space you are using SHOULD be in your face.

I would hope that Microsoft looks at forums such as this and not just "MVPs". Do MVPs feed all this information back to Microsoft?

Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:28 PM
  • My solution was just find an alternative Explorer replacement. I felt Vista's explorer was very difficult to use, compared to the ease and ability to quickly navigate around the file structure in XP; the Win7 is improved, but it's still a little clunky, I admit. I'm not keeping my hopes up for Win7 to make itself better, so that's why one of those Explorer alternatives might be a good choice for everyone else that is dissatisfied.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:08 AM
  • eli2k, in fact, from my expertise until now, the user will not look at the explorer and say: Windows 7 is better, lets start searching for a alternative to explorer. NO. The user will look at it, dislike it a lot, and just say to the IT guy: "This new windows is terrible, wipe it out and gimme my xp back, please".

Just the way they did with Windows Vista, and just the way they did with Office 2007 -> 2003.

So, the "solution" is stop covering MS errors, and pressure then to fix what was NOT BROKE before.

It´s funny to see how many people ask for: "Can I have it BACK, please?". People used to have something that is now out of reach. They dislike it. I very rarely see people asking: "Can I have this NEW feature, please?". So, my advise is just: Stop dumbing it down. Stop removing useful features. Stop annoying the customers for no reason.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:39 PM
  • The VERY First thing i do when i install a new windows, i enable the Status Bar!
    i was shocked when i did not see the "Free Space Left" between brackets. WHAT THE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows Explorer is getting worse and worse and worse and WORSE!

THANK YOU for your effort in making Windows STUPID!
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:58 PM
  • While on the whole I have been pleased with the stability of Windows 7 on new hardware. I am nearly balistic about:

1) Explorer changes
    2) Classic start menu mode (which is well documented as well)

My irritation that brought me here came after spending several days of tweaking to where I almost have the system in an acceptable state only to be stupified that I couldn't get a free space reading by clicking on a drive.

But guys, it doesn't stop there. You no longer get any kind of storage space readings in the status bar.

Try going into a folder with 20 files and select 10 of them. Previously you would get a notice "10 items selected" "X.X MB". That MB # is also missing.

I spend alot of my time doing micro-file management moving material between drives and folders... eg, I build out data CD/DVD builds by manually selecting X # of files in a drop folder. I highlight as many files as I need to get me close to the storage cut off for the target medium and then I move those files over to their destination folder. Nice, fast and efficient. Ballpark #s are perfectly fine here. Last night I found myself having to select 17,432 files and select "Properties" and wait while it churns to come up with a number. Too many MB? Now I cancel properties and change my selection set, and if it was too many files for me to ballpark the difference I have to select properites again to get a new MB reading. This is a nightmare.

MS really needs to restore this feature.

• Edited by Bryan-C Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:37 PM sentence tweak
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:36 PM
  • The alternative is to skip W7 and not recommend it to my company.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:46 PM

An excellent alternative. I would have proposed your comment as an answer had this thread not been  labeled as a discusion.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:35 PM
  • The details for drive space and used space is one of the first features I noticed missing in 7.  Yes, you have other alternatives to find that information, but that is not the issue. Nobody complained to say that the information was not available, nor was it a matter of "how can I..". The issue is, it was pretty damn handy to have that data 'also' available in the status bar of Windows Explorer. The data was available at a glance (once the status bar was turned on in Explorer), and from a usability standpoint, far easier and intuitive than having to navigate to a different area, and/or performing other activities.  Which is a easier, a glance, or navigation?  That is the point. Sure, the data is still there, but for those who liked the simple feature, it was damned sweet for how simple it is.

Why the reply would be deemed condescending, was the implying that removing that feature is somehow an improvement, and that we are the limitation by not navigating to find the data.  Yes, we know how to find the data, telling us is not addressing the intent of the request. One had to enable the status bar to even have access to that feature, so the citing of how stress is lessened for less seasoned users is moot. Less seasoned users would not enable that feature in the first place. Because it is such a simple feature (how much more simple could it be?), the intuitively expected answer would be "ok, we'll pass that suggestion along". ____, it could be implemented as an after thought... seriously, it's just that simple of a feature.  No pretty graph, no aero dazzle, no nothing. Just simple numbers in a tiny area of explorer.

The equivalency is like this: Windows 8 removes the clock from the taskbar, and does not give an option to enable the clock.  All the people that got used to looking at the clock are now all out of sorts, because they got used to looking at the clock via a *glance*.  They write about the issue in a forum such as this, and are told that they should instead navigate to an area of the OS that now has a stunning display of a beautiful clock with all the time info they need.  The reason for this is cited that users were getting stress about how much time they spent on the computer, and removing the clock allowed them more time to enjoy their windows experience. But for those who needed to know the time, that info was so easily navigated to that even an 11 year old can find it.. duh!  Now tell me, do you now see any condescension in this scenario?   ;)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I'm an IT manager that manages more than 40 servers at my company and the lack of the free drive space in the status bar is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$ as it is something I use EVERY DAY.

A junior programmer could figure out how to display this information in the status bar.  In fact, a junior programmer could figure out how to provide the user the OPTION to turn it off (for those that panic knowing how mush free space is available).

Friday, October 30, 2009 1:08 PM
  • I'm an IT manager that manages more than 40 servers at my company and the lack of the free drive space in the status bar is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$ as it is something I use EVERY DAY.

A junior programmer could figure out how to display this information in the status bar.  In fact, a junior programmer could figure out how to provide the user the OPTION to turn it off (for those that panic knowing how mush free space is available).

I agree completely. The game plan for Win7 seemed to be make everything different even if it makes no sense to do so.  The only thing more strange than the removal of this useful feature is the rationale for removing it. It was removed because it "worked poorly" since it didn't report in real time. So the response to a feature that worked poorly was NOT to make it work well but to remove it. In fact it seems to be the thinking behind the removal of many useful features and options. Example, I keep reading statements from MS about how useful the new search feature is and yet if you read posts here it's all but useless to many people. Why remove all of the search wildcards that people have used for years? Apparently just to make it different.  Okay, fine create a new SQLesque search language for people who have a desire to memorize dozens of new search commands but don't throw out what people are using and like using. Or at least put all of the command line nonsense behind a GUI so I don't have to memorize it like I'm learning DOS all over again. I used the release candidate for weeks wanting and trying to like it but it was simply too painful. And as you point out very well MS has for some strange reason decided to ____ off their largest customer base - businesses. Businesses hated Vista and stuck with XP. The response from MS seems to be almost bitter contempt for those customers since they made Win7 even less business friendly.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Wow, I can't believe they removed this feature.   Are the designers at MS so out of touch with their userbase?    Is it some rogue manager who "decided" this was unnecessary (one who probably doesnt' understand what a file system even is?)

Really, this is one of those things that makes you go wow.

Come on MS, bring this back asap.   I can't believe you think adding SEVERAL steps to many processes is a good thing when an existing feature already provided this!
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Incriminified,
        Excellent example to more clearly explain the frustration and questionable removal of a useful feature.  There might be many, many people who won't use it, but IT techs who use this features several times a day to support the majority of corporate machines will miss it terribly.  It will add time to their work in small, but signficant amounts over time.

MS, please fix this, bring it back, or whatever the correct term would be to make it happen.  Its a darn useful tool for power users, and we're the ones who will help make or break Win7 just as we did with Vista.  If you don't make our jobs easier, we won't encourage our companies to adopt the new OS.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I have to agree with this too!

It was a very helpfull feature that was plainly removed without a good justification (and I've seen a few).

Microsoft is trying to hard to reach the dumb user while totally forgetting the power user!

I love windows 7, but there isn't a day that goes by without me finding something that was removed or that is 10 times more complicated to do now. I feel totally appalled and the only thing that occurs to me is: Do they actually use this OS? Does the MVP who answer in this forum really meaning that???

Please don't dumb us down!!!
    We understand that you have no power of decision whatsoever, but before answering try to find and excuse that don't call us stupid!

In case of doubt: options! The dumb user (that W7 is designed for) don't even see them, the power user is still happy. Too much overhead? Ask yourself if is more or less than using shinny little animations and other eye candy.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:02 PM
  • This thread is STILL alive because Microsoft screwed up, just patch it back in for goodness sakes.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Is there a third-party app out there that will patch it in?

I've had a good week finding patches for other gaps in Win 7, so will keep looking!
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:35 PM
    Careful. I started a discussion along these lines and the thread was deleted. I still say that MS is about to be 2 versions of OS removed from it's largest customer base, businesses. My own company started looking for alternatives after an early look at Win7 proved that many of the complaints businesses had about Vista were not only unfixed but actually made worse in Win7. We've moved away from Windows, reluctantly I might add, but it was necessary as Windows became less and less of a business friendly OS. In a company of 6000+ employees we went from running roughly 8000 XP licenses to almost 0 at this point. We were far from MS haters and I personally use Vista at home but we had to make a business decision. A year or so ago with MS announcing they were going to stop supporting XP, computer makers charging extra for shipping with XP and the outlook for Win7 looking worse than Vista we started the transition.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I'll agree. MS has made Windows Explorer useless now in my opinion.  Will be moving on to 3rd party explorer software now.  Thanks for making me pay a 3rd party vendor for one of the most important features in Windows MS.

+1 on the "bring back the up button"
    +1 on the free space
    +1 on the "Classic" theme

Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:54 PM
  • I'll agree. MS has made Windows Explorer useless now in my opinion.  Will be moving on to 3rd party explorer software now.  Thanks for making me pay a 3rd party vendor for one of the most important features in Windows MS.

+1 on the "bring back the up button"
    +1 on the free space
    +1 on the "Classic" theme

I couldn't agree more.

MS have an advertising campaign here in Australia (possibly overseas as well) for Win7 telling people that the customers suggested ideas and MS made them happen.

But as we all know, that never really happened - if it did, we wouldn't have a dumbed down OS that seems to be more of a downgrade then an upgrade.

With every new release, MS just keep pushing me towards using another OS.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Come on Microsoft. Please put back those useful tools that so many of us got used to.

Windows Classic was one and the other is the amount of disk space left wwhen you view a hard drive. The information for these are avaialble, please get someone to retro fit them back in as a patch or fixlet. It will not cost the earth and a lot of us Old Timers will appreciate the effort.

You want Windows to stand for 'I wanted it in Windows 7'; here are some items that would make that statement truer than some of the ads you created for Windows 7.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:41 AM
  • I'm finally getting my hands wet on Win7 after doing my best to avoid Vista like the plague. I've had to use Vista a few times (not by choice) but after the first few minutes with it, I already knew I would despise making the switch. Windows 7, overall, feels much better than Vista.

That said, when I noticed that the 'free space' was missing from the status bar, I too went on a search for information about it. It's something I pay attention to extensively and I don't use complex storage systems (I make a partition, use it, done).

Without going into a full analysis of what I like or dislike about Win7, I'll just summarize a few things I miss from XP or think should have been included by now.. Free space in status bar (duh), right click/search option (with the multiple search options as before), balance control in the volume mixer, XP style start menu/all programs and the simplicity of the Windows Explorer interface. An option to use the 'old school' interface or layout/feel, including free space, would be wonderful.

With the number of people that actually use it, as opposed to the estimated 'few', it only makes sense to conclude that this low estimate was inaccurate and that the free space should be added back in. If it's felt necessary to include a timestamp with it (free space: ##.# gig at 12:34:56PM) then that's fine and in fact welcome. Because then if I do a refresh, then that time updating will let me know that it's actually refreshed and finished.

To think, I signed up to chat here just for the free space issue.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:54 PM
  • How is it improved?
    Seasons greetings!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Another +1 here. Generally, I've found myself liking Windows 7 (much more than the cesspool that was Vista). However, it is too dumbed down in places. After becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of the "Free Space" option in the status bar, I had a quick search around on the net for it - feeling sure that there'd be some hidden way of turning it back on.

And then I ended up here, reading to my dismay that Microsoft obviously have their brains in their underpants because yet again they've broken something which worked by removing a very useful feature.

I understand the comments about Libraries, so (as someone else has said), just don't display it when browsing libraries! Are MS's programmers so incompetent that they can't tell whether someone is browsing a disk structure or a library and hence whether to display the disk space or not?

The whole point of a new OS is that it's supposed to be better. With XP, no matter where I was in the directory tree for my drive, a quick glance at the status bar would tell me the free space on the drive. With Windows 7, I've either got to navigate right the way up to the "Computer" option in the left hand tree, or mess around finding the entry for the current drive, right clicking and selecting "Properties". Can anyone from Microsoft give me one reason why this isn't a slower, more fiddly and more annoying way of finding out information which used to be easily and readily available?

Thought not.

So! Please start listening to your customers, stop dumbing things down so much and add this feature back in. I've not yet seen one single comment in favour of its removal (apart from the comments from the MVPs of course).
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:58 PM
  • +1 Give it back as an option !
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I'm strongly in favour of bringing this back. As many have said before, displaying it when user is working with physical drives and not displaying it when libraries are used would be the most obvious choice of action here.

Of course, you can't really expect MS to do the obvious choices I guess.

It's a real bummer too, I really want to like W7, but there are so many little things that aren't there anymore or are behind so many clicks that it breaks my workflow entirely.

Just patch it in already.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Enabling the Status Bar in windows explorer is the first thing I do when I go on a new computer. Removing the "free space" information makes no sense to me. If this information is available from an alternate source, why not re-use that source to update the display in the Status Bar?

Removing it is as stupid as asking why Microsoft released the Xbox when two alternate consoles were already in the market.

Please put it back via a patch or a voluntary update. Introducing more steps to find the current free space just wastes time.

Thanks
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Enabling the Status Bar in windows explorer is the first thing I do when I go on a new computer. Removing the "free space" information makes no sense to me. If this information is available from an alternate source, why not re-use that source to update the display in the Status Bar?

Removing it is as stupid as asking why Microsoft released the Xbox when two alternate consoles were already in the market.

Please put it back via a patch or a voluntary update. Introducing more steps to find the current free space just wastes time.

Thanks

Why restore it with a patch? All you have to do is switch to Vista. For starters, Vista has the drive free space indicator.
    Also, Vista has the ability to copy user profiles. With Vista you can place icons anyhwere you want within any folder - not just the desktop. Another thing, Windows Vista remembers the size of individual windows as they appear on the desktop whereas with 7 the last window you close will be the same size and position as the next one you open. Additionally, more hardware and programs are compatible with Vista but with 7 some fairly recent hardware not even two years old are not and never will be. So what is the real advantage to windows 7? It seams to me Windows Vista is nearly identical to windows 7 yet has more of the usefull features that were originally included based upon test users and suggestions and survays from all over the world.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971762

Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:23 AM
  • If anyone is interested in the mean time, I have found a free app that will enable this feature in Windows 7. It's amazing how much a small change makes such a difference.  It is called Classic Shell and is on sourceforge. Once installed, in explorer's view menu, just enable the classic toolbar.  Voila.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:02 PM
  • It sounds perfect - but doesn't seem to work!   I get the "Classic Explorer Bar" option under "View - Toolbars" but it doesn't do anything.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:21 PM
  • If anyone is interested in the mean time, I have found a free app that will enable this feature in Windows 7. It's amazing how much a small change makes such a difference.  It is called Classic Shell and is on sourceforge. Once installed, in explorer's view menu, just enable the classic toolbar.  Voila.

WOW this worked for me. Got my start menu back AND now I can EASLY see how much free space I have on my drives with out going threw all the right click bla bla BS.

I am using Windows 7 64bit. The place to get Classic Shell is   http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:09 AM

Also, allllllll I did to get it to work was install it and then close all open explorer windows I had open at the time and reopen them and BAM I can see what free space I have on allllllllll my drives. Sooooo this lil tiny free program does what whatever people worked on explorer should have left alone in the first place. HMMMMM.. You all sure windows 7 still isnt beta?!?!
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Sorted!  After restarting the PC and working through all the settings options in Explorer, it suddenly appeared.   BRILLIANT!   Just what's needed.

I wonder why Microsoft, with all its personnel, couldn't do that.  Never mind:  we have it now.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:10 AM
  • WOW this worked for me. Got my start menu back AND now I can EASLY see how much free space I have on my drives with out going threw all the right click bla bla BS.

I am using Windows 7 64bit. The place to get Classic Shell is   http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    It´s an amazing software! Windows Explorer is becoming less terrible now! And, as anyone can see, it´s not thanks to Microsoft.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Ok wow, Classic Shell totally works and doesn't seem 'intrusive' or crashy as a 3'rd party Addon.
    I hate to be a smug ____ (not really, I love it) but look Ronnie, Look at how clueless your coding goons are, some indie develope on sourceforge has bested your suited goons on the campus.
    Your people should be bloody embarassed - we shouldn't have to damn well run a 3'rd party addon in order to get such simple functionality out of Windows Explorer.

I don't care if you find me abrasive or harsh, I'm going to call you people out when you make dumb decisions or you won't fix things.
    STOP changing things for the sake of change, STOP changing things to try and capture the Mac Market - and if you DO change things, think before you do it, just because you want a nice, pleasant desktop experience for your average mouth breathing user, you've still got sysadmins, developers and power users making use of Windows, and we damned well need a reliable, robust and clever OS - you guys are making improvements in some departments but for goodness sakes stop making things worse too.

Argh.
    EDIT: Classicshell author is a hero, truly and internet hero.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Ok wow, Classic Shell totally works and doesn't seem 'intrusive' or crashy as a 3'rd party Addon.
    I hate to be a smug ____ (not really, I love it) but look Ronnie, Look at how clueless your coding goons are, some indie develope on sourceforge has bested your suited goons on the campus.
    Your people should be bloody embarassed - we shouldn't have to damn well run a 3'rd party addon in order to get such simple functionality out of Windows Explorer.

I don't care if you find me abrasive or harsh, I'm going to call you people out when you make dumb decisions or you won't fix things.
    STOP changing things for the sake of change, STOP changing things to try and capture the Mac Market - and if you DO change things, think before you do it, just because you want a nice, pleasant desktop experience for your average mouth breathing user, you've still got sysadmins, developers and power users making use of Windows, and we damned well need a reliable, robust and clever OS - you guys are making improvements in some departments but for goodness sakes stop making things worse too.

Argh.

LOL.. easy boy easy!!! speaking the truth can get you wacked lololol or called "abusive" or even worse a MEANY lol bad boy lol. But yeah look how EASY it was for someone to write up a lil bit of code and we got our free space back even with the added funk and gunk of libraries and a host of other unneeded junk. And we got our classic start up menu back wich for that mater is so many less clicks and easer to find programs then using the start menu that comes with windows 7, that tiny little square box that cant be adjusted at all that I can find. Just seems more and more to me Windows 7 was pushed out the door just in time for the big money making time... Christmas! cha ching!!!!
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:09 PM

Argh.
    Hi Scotty

I do understand your frustration, but you're preaching to the choir here?

We perform tech support on these forums. We can tell you how it's designed, how to use it, and what to do if it breaks and doesn't work the way it was designed, but when you ask the question 'why is it designed that way' or 'what were they thinking' or 'will it be changed' the answer is that you know as much as we do.

If you really want to make a difference and let the proper people know how you feel, you can use the following link to send your feedback directly to the responsible department at Microsoft.

Windows 7 Feedback: Speak to us at Microsoft

When you use that link, write your feedback in a mature and responsible manner and it may actually do some good.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:22 AM
  • We perform tech support on these forums. We can tell you how it's designed, how to use it, and what to do if it breaks and doesn't work the way it was designed, but when you ask the question 'why is it designed that way' or 'what were they thinking' or 'will it be changed' the answer is that you know as much as we do.
    This is an interesting phrase.
    What immediately comes to mind, is that you also have to guess "why" something was done that way and try to find a reasonable response that could fit the bill. We can do that too, we need a bit more. I was hoping that in having MVP in this forums that a better communication channel to the devs would be created. This does not seem to happen :(

With the e7 blog, a lot of these challenges were answered, but, of course, not all items could have been addressed (I still think is sad that the blog was stopped - after all, W7 is still in dev with Service Packs).
    Steven Sinofsky made some great posts about how you have to deal with all this ranting and all the actions that it triggers around those messages, but seems to miss some of the problems in making this kind of decisions.
    This is not the place for this discussion (and I wished that there was one) but you definitely have to start to listen a bit more and try to understand that on this side of the web there are also experienced users that want to help you and not only granny's with problems in setting up the webcam.

PS: Jumping to classic shell too because it does what Windows7 should always have been doing.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:26 AM
  • We perform tech support on these forums. We can tell you how it's designed, how to use it, and what to do if it breaks and doesn't work the way it was designed, but when you ask the question 'why is it designed that way' or 'what were they thinking' or 'will it be changed' the answer is that you know as much as we do.

That's kind of ironic, because the Windows 7 advertising campaign here in Australia is that Windows 7 was "my idea" and that Microsoft listened to its customer base, and then Microsoft implemented the ideas from that customer base.

Complete BS of course.

If Microsoft had listened, Windows 7 wouldn't be missing some of the functionality that made Windows XP great (and still liked by so many people and businesses) and wouldn't have kept much of the "clunkiness" of the Windows Vistas interface.

The Microsoft developers need a good kick in the pants, and a wake up call.

Clearly they - and Microsoft - haven't learnt from the mistakes of Vista.

Maybe one day they will - I won't hold my breath though.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:42 AM
  • mcdazz:
    The funny part is: they actually listened and improved a lot of it based on User input. Unfortunately, it was not enough. The feedback is humongous and most of the time there isn't a solution that pleases everyone.

I'm not trying to defend microsoft here, like I was yesterday discussing in twitter with some friends, Microsoft made a huge step in order to improve Custumer Support and listen to users, but is still noticeable not enough. This thread shows this pretty well.

The attempt is welcome and is probably one of the reason why W7 got so many good reviews.

Microsoft says that we (geeks) are not the target user, and they are right: The non-savy users are the majority and the ones who buy and use the OS. Unfortunately, they do not care about this. The tests that Microsoft makes revolve around shinny windows and they love them. If the window show the free space (or the total size of the folder) the "normal" user does not care.

But we do, and Microsoft needs to understand this. You are almost there...

PS: Note that there wasn't a good explanation about why this feature was removed.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:41 PM

Argh.

LOL.. easy boy easy!!! speaking the truth can get you wacked lololol or called "abusive" or even worse a MEANY lol bad boy lol. But yeah look how EASY it was for someone to write up a lil bit of code and we got our free space back even with the added funk and gunk of libraries and a host of other unneeded junk. And we got our classic start up menu back wich for that mater is so many less clicks and easer to find programs then using the start menu that comes with windows 7, that tiny little square box that cant be adjusted at all that I can find. Just seems more and more to me Windows 7 was pushed out the door just in time for the big money making time... Christmas! cha ching!!!!

Actually don't tell anyone but I actually don't mind the new start menu - I'm used to it now and I'll stick with it.
    If they make changes which I think are positive, I'll go with them - it took me a long time to adjust but the search at the bottom is quite powerful and I must admit the old start menu is quite antiquated in design.  I do miss hitting "control esc" + "s" + "c" for instant control panel (I can do it quick) but I'm adapting to the new one.  (Would like to see better shortcut support)

I still quite like Win7 but some changes need to be made :/  sadly they often fall on deaf ears.
    Now if only the "avenobreadcrumb' author can come back and write a Win7 64bit version to disable those god awful bread crumbs!
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:44 AM

Argh.
    Hi Scotty

I do understand your frustration, but you're preaching to the choir here?

We perform tech support on these forums. We can tell you how it's designed, how to use it, and what to do if it breaks and doesn't work the way it was designed, but when you ask the question 'why is it designed that way' or 'what were they thinking' or 'will it be changed' the answer is that you know as much as we do.

If you really want to make a difference and let the proper people know how you feel, you can use the following link to send your feedback directly to the responsible department at Microsoft.

Windows 7 Feedback: Speak to us at Microsoft

When you use that link, write your feedback in a mature and responsible manner and it may actually do some good.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Preaching to the choir? Ronnie you're one of the MS lads who is on the defence squad, I will at least say you don't make the totally blind defence of 'the business' or come across brainwashed but I'm pretty sure I've seen your posts in other threads go that way.

Thanks for the link - I will do just that, however I'd be surprised to see them make any explorer changes post release now.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Hi, all,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post.  If not, please let me know.

Anyway, I got Classic Shell and Classic Explorer in Windows 7 shows free space in status bar.  However, Classic Explorer in Windows 2008 R2 still doesn't show free space.

Anyone has the same experience or fix to the problem, please let meknow.

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the link to the sourceforge proggy.  Haven't tried it yet, but will as soon as I finish this reply.

+1 to the list of ppl who want "free space" back.  I signed up just to provide this show of support.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I love the Classic Start Menu and Classic Explorer Bar.

But NovaIT is right.  It still does not show free space, etc.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:07 AM
  • I love the Classic Start Menu and Classic Explorer Bar.

But NovaIT is right.  It still does not show free space, etc.
    you have to enable status bar under view.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the link - I will do just that, however I'd be surprised to see them make any explorer changes post release now.

I also just filled the feedback to Win 7. Suggest everyone else do the same rather than bitching in this thread which IMHO will do no good.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:04 PM
  • you have to enable status bar under view.

Do I have to disable it first?  I have always had status bar enabled.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Similar to this problem, one more feature which is removed in Win7 is the Network Activity Lights on the Network Icon on bottom right side of task bar.

Wish MS enables these features back for those users who are using Windows since version 3.1 :)

Would recommend to build new features (e.g. Libraries), without disturbing the existing features.

Thanks,
    Kamlesh

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Similar to this problem, one more feature which is removed in Win7 is the Network Activity Lights on the Network Icon on bottom right side of task bar.

Wish MS enables these features back for those users who are using Windows since version 3.1 :)

Would recommend to build new features (e.g. Libraries), without disturbing the existing features.

Thanks,
    Kamlesh

I too really hate the removal of the network lights, not to mention the idiot network and sharing Center.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:05 AM
  • try change permissions and owner...

right click any drive select properties and click security tab and click advanced go to owner and click edit select your user name in the list press ok.
    close all boxes with pressing ok. right click same drive and go to security tab again. click edit and select your username in the list. click full control and press ok close all boxes with pressing ok again.
    restart windows... [free space and using space is returns]

testing [if this feature removed from your pc]

right click computer and select manage
    select disk management  [or type diskmgmt.msc to start search box and press enter]
    select any volume and right click. select shrink volume
    type 100 and press ok [more than 100 mb] and press shrink
    right click new emty space [black] and select new simple volume
    press next 2 times and select drive letter
    select format to [file system to] fat32 and change or delete label press next and press finish
    restart windows and copy 20-30 mb file to new volume
    free space returns if this feature installed...

Friday, February 5, 2010 2:40 PM
  • try change permissions and owner...

right click any drive select properties and click security tab and click advanced go to owner and click edit select your user name in the list press ok.
    close all boxes with pressing ok. right click same drive and go to security tab again. click edit and select your username in the list. click full control and press ok close all boxes with pressing ok again.
    restart windows... [free space and using space is returns]

testing [if this feature removed from your pc]

right click computer and select manage
    select disk management  [or type diskmgmt.msc to start search box and press enter]
    select any volume and right click. select shrink volume
    type 100 and press ok [more than 100 mb] and press shrink
    right click new emty space [black] and select new simple volume
    press next 2 times and select drive letter
    select format to [file system to] fat32 and change or delete label press next and press finish
    restart windows and copy 20-30 mb file to new volume
    free space returns if this feature installed...

Hmm Interesting.  Seems like a bit of a roundabout way to get this done...I wonder if a registry comparison b4 and after this operation yields any hint as to what creating a small 2nd partition would do for Win7 users.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Its like removing the fuel guage from your car.  Sure you can thump the tank but why???

that's amazingly true and very well said!  #microsoftFAIL

Sunday, August 1, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Bring it back is all I can say! I am another power user and a software engineer and I admit I get "really" annoyed with something is pulled out because it is easier for the average user. THere are a LOT of power users and we have a right to decide how to use OUR computer.

And I know this is somewhat off topic (I will also post this seperately) but the one thing that made me the angriest is when I upgraded from VIsta Ultimate to W7 Ultimate (notice the keyword upgrade) and the OS in its infinite wisdom decided to CHANGE permissions on a bunch of directories such as the infamous C:\Program Data for example to where I could no longer access them and I had to spend the better part of a day taking ownership AGAIN!!

Sorry but MS does NOT have a right to change things like this during an upgrade. I don't care how these permissions default on NEW installs but do NOT change permissions on MY computer without my permission!

And not to mention that in the process they broke my Norton Internet Security because of the changed permissions!

MS seems to believe they own our computer or something, but it belongs to US. I don't think anyone is going to complain much if new installs default to blocking these directories but NO ONE (not even MS) has a right to change PRE-EXISTING permissions when we upgrade the OS.

Now having said all this, don't get me wrong. I do LOVE Windows and I think W7 is a HUGE improvement but don't treat everyone like a non computer savvy newbie. You have a LOT of power users out there, much more than you think and you need to realize the computer we install your OS on belongs to us and not you.

THanks for listening, so to speak. :)

Allen

Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:18 AM
  • To re-quote one of the 1st "Microsoft" replies to this complaint, this is what Mark L. Ferguson, MS-MVP, wrote:  

"The new Libraries span drives, and it was also removed due to a user anxiety problem, usually caused by reserved space allocations for the Virtual Memory or TEMP set asides. If you want free space data, rightclick the drive icon and Properties.
    In 7 it is intended that you use your Libraries to handle data, and leave the data management to the system. It was an 'ease of use' issue. For the more technically minded, (an unbelievably small minority) the data is still there to see." 

Guess What?  Windows 7 also comes in another flavor, called "Windows Server 2008 R2", for the IT community of "technical people" who work with computers sytems everyday.    The same problem exists in Windows Explorer with Windows Server 2008 R2, and unfortunately, monitoring available free disk space is ABSOLUTELY ____'ing  CRITICAL.   Now that Windows Explorer, in order to support Libraries (which trust me - are going ZERO nowhere on server systems), Windows Server 2008 R2 has been rendered unuseable in an industrial environment. 

This fault, or draw-back, would require IT departments to identify and source 3rd Party replacements to Windows Explorer, in order to be able to roll out Windows Server 2008 R2 in Production Environments.   Unfortunately, as you all know, such a 3rd Party replacment software system is just simply not available and not feasible.  

Next week, I am drafting an I.T. Advisory Committee "Alert Document", strongly cautioning my large enterprise organization against implementing Windows Server 2008 R2.   It just simply is not a useable product, without this most critical piece of information, that has existed in Windows Explorer since Windows 3.0.    CORRECTION To the Reply Above:   Windows 95 was NOT the 1st operating system to contain this information in Windows Explorer.   It existed from day #1 with Windows.    But in all honesty, isn't the whole Windows 7 thing an arrogant "Take This!!" reply by Microsoft, in response to the rejection of Windows Vista?   This feature is not the only feature REMOVED/DELETED - there are many others - especially Windows Search, which has been deleted/bastardized in Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 to a mere box, the width of 2 words, in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer, which returns over 1,000,000 hits no matter how you can restrict it using the miniaturized options shortcuts in the new "2 word wide box" that Windows Search has become. 

Can anyone provide some information on Linux, for I.T. Server environments?   My corporation needs techology that has been built upon, not deleted from. 

Thanks,

RW

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Add one more vote to bring it back, at least in the case where you already append a drive designator to the library item.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Another vote to please bring this back.  It is one of the most disappointing things about Windows 7.

If this is a matter of libraries or pleasing non-technically minded people, why is it gone from Server 2008R2?

Surely most Server 2008R2 users are technically minded and can make that decision for their RDS users rather than having it made for them.

I can't install a 3rd party file manager on every 7/2008R2 box I touch.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Far be it for me to say too much about the situation as I believe most have completely covered the issue at hand:

A) Microsoft attempting to appease the MAC crowd.
    B) Removing features that have long been in place and widely used.

Personally, (and having been a user & developer on these systems since the DOS 5.0 era), I have always had to fight with whatever my current employment is to adhere to one simple concept:  The User Is Always GOD. 

Ultimate Configuration and Customization.  I am quite sure that a vast number of research teams and sociological analysts did countless studies to determine what may or may not provide a "helpful" and "easy to use" interface.  And I'm sure that a vast majority of the Tom's, Dick's, Harry's, and Sue's out there enjoy the change.  The problem is that appeasing the "Mac" crowd is pretty much useless, since if they wanted a Mac, they'd have bought one.  Most PC users tend to either be extremely simplified in approach and accept the interface as it is OR to the other extreme modify the registry daily, reconfigure every possible interface and take control of the system more than the kernel does.  It's to these people that I think Microsoft has not quite addressed respectful awareness.

Sure, Include that craptastic abomination called the "Ribbon Bar" in Office.  Include these idiotic "Libraries" as the default locations, and yes add in this "Favorites" concept.  For all those people that accept what they are given and work with it as it, these systems are great, and hey, for my job in helping those who don't use/like/understand computers all that much, these things actually do make their life simpler.

But give us some control too.  Let the power user and developer have control in a way that we decide.  Let me turn off the ribbon bar, or create more customizable views.  Sometimes I like to sort and evaluate formulas and adjust grid bordering really fast.  I have to 3-4 extra motions with the ribbon bar over the old tool bars. I define my own data structure for my own systems for specific reason and rarely if ever use the "My Documents" systems even as it has evolved to "Libraries", so let me change the layout so the first entry in the Explorer List is the "Computer" which is what I prefer to see. 

It is user customization that is the issue.  Currently the last 5 years of Microsoft Development has moved away from the Ideas that originally made the PC more viable than the Macintosh, because the user could make it what they wanted.  If you don't like making decisions, or don't have an independent thought about how a computer/OS should work, (or prefer little pictures to text) buy a Mac.  And hey, they are good computers, nothing wrong with them, but they're for artists, not techs.  The PC i can build out of any hardware and install any OS, with any application.  Within most OS's, including Windows up until the Vista/7 era, you could control a lot more within the system.  Now, it appears that Microsoft is becoming the doting parent telling us, "Oh, we know what's best."  Tragically, like many learn as they get older, what is best for you is not best for me.  A thousand people may like the "Favorites";  I Don't.  So I have to suffer with every time i open explorer to have to close the favorites.  (Now i finally found how to remove it so at least that's taken care of).  But the concept is still sound.  Please, return to the concept of "User Customization" and let the PEOPLE decide what they want at the point of use, not in some poll or study, but instead of removing or altering features based upon one demographic, alter the "Default" behavior, while leaving the option still in there for those that aren't cut from the targeted mold.

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

"Never Trust a computer. Your brain is smarter than any micro-chip."
    PS - Don't mark answers on other people's questions. There are such things as Vacations and Holidays which may reduce timely activity, and until the person asking the question can test your answer, it is not correct just because you think it is. Marking it correct for them often stops other people from even reading the question and possibly providing the real "correct" answer.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Btw note to everyone, Microsoft cannot tolerate that Classic Shell fixed it therefore the status bar has been modified once again in Windows 8 so now Classic Shell can't fix it: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/69de0cc1-b91b-4fd8-96c3-8299f8ed0488
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:31 AM
  • I just read over your locked thread (why it's locked I don't know)

Why are they doing this stupid shit AGAIN? Windows Explorer is becoming less and less usable for system administrators and technical users, what's so goddamn difficult about users wanting to know how much free space is on a disk or the total size of the 3 selected files?  I can not fathom why this was removed a second time around.

I don't really have any interest at all in Windows 8 so it's not going to impact me for 5+ years when I move to something else but I'm pretty bloody dissapointed others are going to have to go through this.

Can one of these "MVP" (lol) guys PLEASE take this to someone with some actual clout in the organisation and at least provide a sufficient answer. I don't think I can endure another thread of you guys mindlessly defending design choices you have either no real understanding of, or no actual insight on.    We all know how large Microsoft is and I find it increasingly difficult to accept you guys have and know the inside scoop on every little design decision in the OS which you spout on the forums

In conclusion, FFS fix this ASAP.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Ha ha, holy shit microsuck, you guys are fucking blowing it big time. SO MANY ANNOYING DOWNGRADES IN WIN7. I'm guessing if I were to keep a list there would be at least 20 little things like this that make win7 a fucking disaster to anyone who's a remotely efficient/"power" user. It's especially retarded because it clearly shows that there have to be a fucking shit ton of MS employees with either a complete lack of SW development skills, or a complete lack of common sense. It's amazing these dipshits have jobs.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:00 AM
  • You may be right about the way Scotty responded to the answer from Mark.  However, that does not detract from the fact that this was a very useful feature and since I work with Windows every day and have to manage disk space for servers (which I do by mapping the admin shares to my computer), I for one am glad that I kept one Windows XP machine around because right clicking on the drive to click on properties to see how much free space is left is downright inconvenient.  There has to have been a better way of addressing the "panic attacks" than to remove a feature that so many people found to be useful.  I hope that this feature finds its way back into Windows 8, otherwise I might be keeping Windows XP around for quite a while.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 1:16 PM