winload.exe is missing or corrupt (no it's not!)

Question

• Pretty basic PC, IDE drive. Win98 on C:, XP on D:, installed vista on E:. When you try to boot vista it complains about a missing or corrupt e:\windows\system32\winload.exe. I've seen other discussions of people running into this with a PC already setup for dual-boot. Anyone have any ideas?

Results from bcdedit (I gave up and changed the default to {ntldr}):

E:\Windows\System32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {ntldr}
    displayorder            {ntldr}
                            {50c73d4f-e6b3-11da-bc73-d30cdb1ce216}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 3

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    identifier              {ntldr}
    path                    \ntldr
    description             Earlier version of Windows

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {50c73d4f-e6b3-11da-bc73-d30cdb1ce216}
    device                  partition=E:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Microsoft Windows
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                partition=E:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {50c73d50-e6b3-11da-bc73-d30cdb1ce216}
    nx                      OptIn
    detecthal               Yes

E:\Windows\System32>
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 1:41 AM

Answers

• Gentlemen I have the fix for this problem.  I upgraded from Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Home Premium and hated the program from the beginning.  Anyway…during the hundreds of command to get back to Windows XP I got the exact same error message missing file windows\system 32 \winload.exe.  I called Microsoft and after hours of waiting the fix was a simple fixboot command at the C:\windows prompt.  I then restarted my computer and the problem was gone.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:33 PM

All replies

• I am getting the exact from my bcdedit. And I also gave up and defaulted back to {ntldr}. What a messy OS!!
    Monday, June 19, 2006 7:26 PM
  • We're having the same problem here. And according to a Google search, so are a lot of people, and nobody's got a fix yet.

So far, every case of this I've seen (including ours) involves adding Vista on an additional HD/partition. Has anyone had this problem trying to install Vista on C:?

More importantly, has anyone gotten Vista to work on a second HD/partition?  And did you have to take any extra steps to make it work?

EDIT:  We changed a few things and it seems to be working (fingers crossed here).

First, we had the hard drive disabled in the BIOS.  But somehow the installer saw it anyway, so maybe this wasn't the issue.

Second, we used the Vista installer to format the drive before installing this time.

The install went MUCH more quickly this time, and no more winload.exe missing error.  But now we're getting some hangups on totally blank screens, so maybe all is not well yet.

EDIT:  Fixed!  We removed all USB devices (and plugged in a PS2 keyboard/mouse) and hooked in a VGA cable instead of DVI.  Vista boots!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:37 PM
  • I started my Beta installation on my Evesham Laptop model C510 (AMIBIOS v0206). I used an external USB HDD in order to preseve my XP OS.

Everything went fine until the first reboot and then Windows Boot Manager Displays:

File:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I'm not sure how to overcome this. I read somewhere someone solved this by unplugging all USB devices - but I am trying to boot from a USB HDD! The Bios in the laptop allows me to select this HDD as a boot device so I assume it is detecting it OK otherwise it wouldn't give me this option. Any ideas!?

• Proposed as answer by Umer Ather Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:56 AM
  • Further to above.

I tried to re-install Vista and use the Vista Format facility when choosing Custom Setup. This failed to cure the problem. (I know this worked for some people).

I then used Vista Setup again and used the Repair Facility. It detected the installation and ran a diagnostic but then reported it could not fix it and then wanted to connect to Microsoft - but could not do this over my Wireless Lan connection (I guess this only works when booted into Desktop).

Further to this - I tried to install Windows XP to this USB Drive and it was more useful in reporting the following error after I selected the external drive:

Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install Windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn’t installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your computer or hard disk controller manufacturer for more information. On x86-based computers this message may indicate a problem with the CMOS drive type settings. See your disk controller documentation for more information”

So maybe this indicated my laptop is unable to boot from a USB HDD anyway.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:31 PM
  • I have one EIDE HD setup on my current PC with windows XP pro currently installed. When booting up off of the DVD for the first time to begin installation, it states it is copying files to start installation, finishes that, and then displays the winload.exe error. I only have one partition, one HD. Very odd!
    Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:43 PM
  • Hi!

I was told by others that you MUST do a clean install not an upgrade, that will not work!

Re. USB hard drive
    I think Vista will not boot from USB. As a matter of fact it will not install properly if an USB device is pugged in. I had the same message and finally I solved the boot problem by following the advice on this page, ie. removed my USB memory stick. My mouse and keyboard were already PS2.
    However unless you like to experiment, I would advice to wait until the final version with at least SP2 comes out.
    My installation is very flaky, and unpredictable, it will work flawlessly during one session, but when restarted again it will do all sorts of weird things. The biggest problem is that Windows explorer would stop working and the OS will try to fix it, it can go on for a long time.
    But if the system finally settled I think it will be better then XP, for instance once I installed my cable modem driver I was connected to the net, no setup needed, just setup your Email and away you go.

Hope it helps
    Cheers
    Saturday, July 22, 2006 8:14 AM
  • I installed Vista to a spare partition on my hard drive in the end - so I'm up and running anyway!

I'm sure you're correct about booting from USB HDD. I had an added problem anyway in that my BIOS allows you to select a USB HDD as a boot device and even detects it - but I verified it would not boot any OS from a USB HDD as I also tried this with my Win XP setup and it specifically told me I wouldn't be able to boot from the USB HDD partition and wouldn't even let me start to install XP on it.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:40 AM
  • I also had the same problem- I have installed Vista on separate HDD, but it also broke my XP. Version about USB devices is good but I have only USB extender connected to PC, and before disconnecting it I deleted folder "boot" and $windows and files $*** on my system (c:) drive, but I think the main folder is "boot" erasing which problem is solved. Windows XP now is booting OK
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:58 AM
  • EDIT:  Fixed!  We removed all USB devices (and plugged in a PS2 keyboard/mouse) and hooked in a VGA cable instead of DVI.  Vista boots!

[/qoute]

I also had the same issue on installing and replaced the usb mouse with standard ps/2 and all booted as expected.  This is i feel is a  bad show as 90% mouse keyboard sets sold today are USB.

Also, Why does Vista RC1 insist on ignoring BIOS settinsg - as i had a HDD set to ignore as new it was on way out - but vista kept finding it on install and offering it as a drive to install when it won't work as BIOS will not see it on boot=up or would vista have modified BIOS to it's own wants.

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:21 PM
  • Had the same issue on a Dell Dimension 3000.  The Installer found the hard drive and formatted it.  Enabling the second HD fixed the issue.
    Saturday, January 06, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Hey, i THINK i've just fixed this problem for me. I'm not dual-booting, but i was having the same problem just booting on Vista.

I changed the path of winload.exe and just rebooted without the Vista disc, and it seems to have worked.

OK - here's what i did (change the partition and identifiers to suit your circumstances)

C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier                     {bootmgr}
    device                         partition=C:
    description                 Windows Boot Manager
    locale                          en-US
    inherit                          {globalsettings}
    default                         {current}
    displayorder               {current}
    timeout                        30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier                     {current}
    device                         partition=C:
    path                             \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
    description                 Microsoft Windows Vista
    locale                          en-US
    inherit                          {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                     partition=C:
    systemroot                  \Windows
    resumeobject             {77baf773-b959-11db-b80e-bb7df25a441f}
    nx                                OptIn

Inside sys32, there is a "boot" directory, which contains winload.exe and winresume.exe, so i changed the path to make the bootmgr look there instead.

As i'm sure you all know, the command to change it is "bcdedit.exe /set {current} path \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe" (- the "")

Hope this helps.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I agree with the previous post.  What I believe is going on is that the winload.exe is corrupted.

Here's why:  I was running vista with no problems, installing drivers and having a great old time.

Then all the sudden my windows lock up and I can't do anything. (explorer is about to bite it)

Then when it rebooted it gave me the winload.exe error.  So I ran the automated repair and it failed of course.

So the error message leads me to believe that it is telling me the truth.  Winload.exe is really missing (which

it isn't) -OR- Corrupt.  So what I was going to try was search for an untainted copy of winload.exe either from

the Vista media or the internet and then replace it.

But as the previous post suggests, it may be as simple as telling Vista, "Don't look for your corrupted file here, look for a good one here".  Either way, I am continuously lead back to the conclusion;  if you replace/repair the winload file somehow it may work with USB periphrials, since it was working with my USB junk before.

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Gentlemen I have the fix for this problem.  I upgraded from Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Home Premium and hated the program from the beginning.  Anyway…during the hundreds of command to get back to Windows XP I got the exact same error message missing file windows\system 32 \winload.exe.  I called Microsoft and after hours of waiting the fix was a simple fixboot command at the C:\windows prompt.  I then restarted my computer and the problem was gone.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:33 PM
  • I can help you fix this problem visit this link anything to do with winload and so forth I can help you get your system back up and running. http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=windows

I have done labs on this and have even delete files using break programs that remove files form the system, and in just a few hours I repair the system and recover my data.

I have many work around, but I need your help to resolve these issues, All you need to do is let me knwo at the link above and  I can help you.

I am currently repairing  the online chat where you will be able to speak live with technical support staff for free. an coming soo we will be giving up a free Visita home premium Key. So if you have a disk you can use the, but will you complete the istall first and activate? As you know he who activates first, own the key.

Your one meida conatin all  Visit install, just choose the right one and activate.

http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=windows

]

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:37 AM
  • hey  i have this exact problem and im sitting with my busted alienware thats just sick over this bad vista winload file. Im in command prompt and im not sure how to fix the problem. Any help would make me a very greatful man.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Ok sorry to hear that you are having such a hards time with your installation. I will try to help you with all I got.

OK I know winload in the windows loader, so what we will have to do is fond out how to copy the files back onto the boot partion. or in the main boot device.

Firat I will see if I can find the files which I know I have before but this was not a common one for me. but I have repair this issue before. Visit me here, this is the first place I will post the notes.  http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=windows 

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:45 AM
  • unlike anybody else I can't even get to c:/prompt or anything.  It just keeps rebooting right back to windows error recovery screen.  If anybody knows how I can get into c:/prompt please let me know.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:27 AM
  • Hi All,

I had this problem and I have just fixed it. The winload.exe is not currupt. What is wrong is that entries in your bcdedit are corrupt. Once you change that manually, you will be back up and running. Once again, there is no need to re-install or even do a repair as vista suggests. You do not need to replace winload.exe file. 

Solution:

If you can get to a command prompt/DOS screen, go to d:\windows\system32

"d" is the drive where vista is installed.

Once there, type: "bcdedit.exe" or you can just type "bcdedit". Do not include the quotation marks " ".

It will generate a screen like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    default                 {default}
    resumeobject            {fe04aef5-e49c-11db-9f2f-cdf57e93812b}
                            {default}
    timeout                 10

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    description             Windows 2003 Server Enterprise

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {default}
    device                  partition=D:

description             Microsoft Windows Vista
    osdevice                partition=D:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now check your result against the above, make sure that all the parameters above are the same (except for your drive letter, which might be different from mine).

Now look at the "windows bootloader" section and note what you see in your report/DOS screen:

You may notice that instead of displaying "osdevice partition=D:" it may display "osdevice unknown". The same applies with "device". I have highlighted what I am referring to as bold in the report above.

If these settings are not showing the drive on which your vista is installed, you must change it. Since mine is drive "D" for vista, this is the command you must type:

D:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /set {default} osdevice "partition=D:

Also, if the "device" is showing as unknown, type this command: 

D:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /set {default} device "partition=D:

If the path is  \Windows\system32\winload.exe, then that's fine. Remember "D" above is the name of the drive on which your vista is installed. If your vista in on "F", use "F", etc. "default" in the blue text command above is the identifier for the os boot-up that you are trying to fix, in this case, vista. Sometimes, for the identifier you might have some long random numbers (GUID), just copy it and use it if is not the "default" that is shown.

Exit the DOS screen, restart your system, and you should be ok. If you have any problems please let me know.

Regards....DivineLogix

• Proposed as answer by Tony Sangha Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tony Sangha Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:57 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:01 PM
  • I keep having this problem when my computer locks up, or when it just reboots for no reason.  What I usually do is boot from the Vista disk and go to the repair screen.  Sometimes I have to disconnect the second Hard Drive just to get the system to load...  Then I go to the command promt.  From there I go to the location to where the Vista disk is loaded and go to the boot directory. 

I then type:  bootsect /nt60 c:

example:  E:\boot>bootsect /nt60 c:

This is supposed to change the MBR (Master Boot Record) to load the OS if it where on C:.  I also think it adds a config.sys and autoexec.bat if it isnt there already.

This to me is only a temporary fix because i still get this error often.  When i first had this problem, i used this command and the bcdedit and i think it worked for me also...since then i've reinstalled...reinstalled...reinstalled...etc...  and forgot about the bcdedit, but hopefully that works.

Also!!! if you did not disconnect secondary hard drives, make sure you are giving the command to your main OS or you will possibly make another HDD a bootable disk and more problems just occur from then on

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Boot off your Windows Vista CD/DVD, select your language and press next.

At the bottom of the "Install Vista" screen theres a "Repair. .. " button, click on that. You can access command prompt through this. You can also browse through your harddrives through one of the other on-screen menus.

I had the same problem with vista just yesturday and it really disappointed me that this could of happened with UAC enabled.

I had been running vista without a problem for weeks now and just when I needed the system most (at a lan party), it died.

I was unable to perform any repair as the repair could not find my windows directory (c:\windows) even though I could browse through my directory and through one of the other on screen options and see that my c:\windows was there AND that winload.exe was within the system32 folder. (I installed a clean install of vista previously without any problems)

I ended up doing a reinstall of windows, all my programs and games (annoying). After I had done this it still managed to get corrupted AGAIN!!! I was pritty annoyed and frustrated at this point so I tried a repair again. Fortunately the repair worked this time. It found the vista installation and I was able to get back in without a problem. I've since hadn't had to do any repairs and I've done updated on windows without any problems (till next time).

If winload.exe is being corrupted, would changing it to read only make any difference??

What is winload.exe used for??

What could cause it to go missing and/or corrupted??

I hope you can help me with my questions.

Sunday, July 01, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Could you post or send the steps to fix this problem please? I'm having a really hard time with my PC here. Thanks: Vianick
    Monday, July 16, 2007 10:50 PM
  • I found this advice from Raptor007 and it works:

First, we had the hard drive disabled in the BIOS.  But somehow the installer saw it anyway, so maybe this wasn't the issue.

Second, we used the Vista installer to format the drive before installing this time.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:32 AM
  • pls share the solution

Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:46 PM
  • <looking at the post by DivineLogix above> Thanx man !!! it worked like a charm.

However to get to bcdedit.exe, I had to sweat.
    I installed openSUSE 10.3 over factory configured VISTA on my HP Pavilion tx1000, and since then I was getting this problem. I had two PCs and I followed following steps ...

Solution Summary

On working PC
    ===========
    1. To run bcdedit.exe I needed to boot windows first ... for that I downloaded Microsoft Windows AIK (around 1 GB) from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en
    It is free.

2. I loaded the image file in daemon tools' virtual dvd drive and installed Windows aik and then opened "start>All Programs>Microsoft Windows AIK>Windows PE tools Commad Prompt"

3. Then I issued following commands
    a. copype.cmd x86 d:\myWinPE1
    b. D:\myWinPE1>oscdimg -n -bd:\myWinPE1\etfsboot.com d:\myWinPE1\ISO d:\myWinPE1\hellyea.iso

4. Then I burned the "hellyea.iso" created in previous step to a blank CD. (difficult part is over)

On broken PC:
    ==========

5. I booted the PC with the CD created in previous step and I was shown a place command prompt
    (from here onwards you can also follow the steps explained by DivineLogix)
    6. In this command prompt I enterd following commands
    a. c:
    b. cd Windows\System32
    c. bcdedit /set {default} osdevice "partition=C:   (assuming your windows are in C)
    d. bcdedit /set {default} device "partition=C:
    7. Then I removed the CD and rebooted the system and VOILA I had my windows back again.

Regards,
    Bonaqa
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:49 AM
  • DivineLogix,

Your info was a life saver.  I installed XP and then Vista for a dual boot system.  Everything worked perfect until I used Acronis True Image 10 to make a backup image of my system.  Upon installing and testing my backup the problems started.   Unfortunately my Vista DVD from CyberpowerPC did not have an option for recovery or repair.  After hours of reading posts I came across yours and it worked perfectly.  All through this ordeal I was still able to boot into my XP installation so I used the Command Prompt and followed your directions. 

Thanks again.........

Mike 

Saturday, December 01, 2007 3:24 AM
  • I couldn't find the fixboot exe file. Could you kindly tell me where to get it (or email me a copy)? Thanks so much.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 9:54 PM
  • I ran into this same problem with one of my company's PC(intel board,SATA, 2GB DDR2)....try to reinstall system several times, ran Harddrive test, flash new bios version, add in new Hard drive controller, installed XP and upgrade to Vista after...

I tried every way that a tech like us could think of, just to install Vista successfully, I succeed a couple of times but then it crashed after a couple of reboot.

Give me Winload.exe error, blue screen with different Stop # ........at the end I found out that one of the memory module was failed ( I used memory test software that come with Vista CD to test one by one)

and that's it folks, test your system's memory first......Everything works fine now....
    Friday, February 01, 2008 6:36 PM
  • ["Divine Logix"]

I have a compaq presario it came with Vista
    made restore cds
    deleted restore partition, used acronis disk manager to shrink the vista installation,
    made 2more portions second one was D: named it Leopard third was E: named it XP

copied tboot to C: and made a GUID for OSX and made an entry, followed this page
    (http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howto-the-complete-mac-leopard-installation-and-windows-multi-boot-setup-guide/ )

installed OSX Leopard on D: , (i paid for a License)

then i could only boot in to OSX so installed WinXP home on my E: (i bought this retail version disk)

but when i rebooted Only XP Home was there the OSX partition wasn't visible form Windows! drive C: had Vista D: had XP
    installed Easy BCD and got all 3 working! i could boot in to any of three OS! was working like a charm! then my urge, i updated OSX
    then i couldn't get in to either Vista or XP so installed again XP on my D (xp): drive, after installation when i restarted it was my old XP! thanks to Microsoft?
    now when i try to boot in to Vista by pressing F8 i get this Winload.exe error!
    Try to go in to OSX i get (forgot what) error!
    so please will you help me with this edit part? don't think i am an advanced user!!!
    i just go on doing things myself and learn but i cant get this right! you mentioned that you can fix this by just editing BCD!
    tried easy BCD but it spoils the party to nothing
    I get Winload.exe error when i try to get in to Vista and NTLDR missing error when i tried to get in to XP and the other error for OSX!
    i don't wants to reformat everything and start from scratch! which might take a whole day but that my last option!
    Thanks for your time and advice

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    device                  unknown
    default                 {ntldr}
    resumeobject            {8c384824-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
    displayorder            {8c384823-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
                            {35bc43b4-ae0f-11dc-aab3-001a6b3ef6fc}
                            {35bc43b5-ae0f-11dc-aab3-001a6b3ef6fc}
    timeout                 5

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {8c384823-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                unknown
    resumeobject            {8c384824-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier              {35bc43b4-ae0f-11dc-aab3-001a6b3ef6fc}
    path                    \tboot
    description             Mac OSX Leopard

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier              {35bc43b5-ae0f-11dc-aab3-001a6b3ef6fc}
    path                    \NTLDR
    description             Microsoft Windows XP

Please note that i did delete the GUID for restore partition! from above bfore i copied!
    edited boot.ini from xp now when i startup if i select Vista it just stays a blank screen
    If i select OSX it says missing hall.dll! lol
    XP boots fine!
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:53 PM
  • could you be any more specific??

is fixboot a command that "fixed" your problem or was it the call to microsoft support that gave you a bunch of commands (that you didn't care to include in your post) that fixed the boot?

I tried issuing a "fixboot" in C:\Windows but it didn't work.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I had this problem after I tried to do a full disk migrate to another external SATA hard disk using Paragon hard disk manager.
    My laptop randomly restarted and then I had the winload.exe error that u've all mentioned.

I Have a Sony Vaio SZ680 which obviously didn't come with a Vista recovery CD so I downloaded one from here:
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

I used Nero 6 to burn the ISO image on a working computer (under the ‘recorder’ tab from the top menus).
    I then booted from this CD on my broken machine and did a repair. It took its sweet time and said it couldn't fix my issue.
    I restarted and indeed it didn't seemed to have worked.
    I then ran the repair option again and this time it said it couldn't find an error.
    I rebooted and for some reason it worked and Vista is up and running. I'm now backing up my configuration using the standard Vista backup and recovery tool.

Fingers crossed - i really didn't do anything but try and run the repair twice.

I didn't have BCDEDIT installed on my vista machine so i was just persistent.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Hi steven_smyder14,
    I had this same problem this afternoon.  I have a Toshiba A200-AH7 with Vista preinstalled.  Toshiba has created an ingenious recovery system that can nullify the problem when it arises.  So now my laptop is problem-free!
    cheers,
    sbarringtonleigh

Friday, March 07, 2008 4:23 AM
  • hi I need some help over here, i'm desperate, my laptop had this problem since december and i cant get it repair, i need to know how to get to the command promp because i cant enter with the windows vista recovery dvd, when it load shows me the error. \windows\system32\winload.exe and doesnt let me shows repair or something. and the thin is mi hdd is empty, y have no OS in there, and it doesnt let me install winxp either, so, i need to get to the command prompt to do what you says but, how i get to it if the error comes and i doesnt let me go to repair or something. your help would be apreciate, thanks

• Proposed as answer by Aquiva Friday, February 06, 2009 12:45 AM
    Friday, March 07, 2008 4:04 PM
  • you need to move it to disc.from hdd.the change bootmgr to boot from disc in 1st sequence.then just reset boot order had same. but fixes ok.

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:54 PM
  • I'm Having problems Dual Booting XP with vista.

I'm getting the same winload error.

I have Xp installed on C:

Vista Installed on D:

Heres what EasyBCD says:

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}

device partition=C:

description Windows Boot Manager

locale en-US

inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

default {1d802ac2-f7d7-11dc-8cd8-959511b8b8c1}

displayorder {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}

{1d802ac2-f7d7-11dc-8cd8-959511b8b8c1}

toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}

timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader

------------------------

identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}

device partition=C:

path \ntldr

description Windows XP

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier {1d802ac2-f7d7-11dc-8cd8-959511b8b8c1}

device partition=D:

path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description Windows Vista

locale en-US

inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

osdevice partition=D:

systemroot \Windows

resumeobject {1d802ac3-f7d7-11dc-8cd8-959511b8b8c1}

nx OptIn

detecthal Yes

Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Dear Divine Logix,

It's already a couple of days I have the same problems and now I'm in real hopeless situation.

my computer is Shuting Down after 2-3 minutes with that winload.exe error.

this is my "bsdedit.exe" command list:

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

description             Windows Boot Manager

default                 {current}

resumeobject            {2f31c355-f140-11dc-b940-c108c7514962}

displayorder            {current}

toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}

timeout                 0

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier              {current}

osdevice                partition=C:

Could you tell me, please in details (my english is a little poor) the steps i must do for fixing this problem.

Thank you very much.

YOU are my last hope.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:05 AM
  •  Divine Logix wrote:

Hi All,

I had this problem and I have just fixed it. The winload.exe is not currupt. What is wrong is that entries in your bcdedit are corrupt. Once you change that manually, you will be back up and running. Once again, there is no need to re-install or even do a repair as vista suggests. You do not need to replace winload.exe file. 

Solution:

Once there, type: "bcdedit.exe" or you can just type "bcdedit". Do not include the quotation marks " ".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
                            {default}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now check your result against the above, make sure that all the parameters above are the same (except for your drive letter, which might be different from mine).

Now look at the "windows bootloader" section and note what you see in your report/DOS screen:

You may notice that instead of displaying "osdevice partition=D:" it may display "osdevice unknown". The same applies with "device". I have highlighted what I am referring to as bold in the report above.

If these settings are not showing the drive on which your vista is installed, you must change it. Since mine is drive "D" for vista, this is the command you must type:

If the path is  \Windows\system32\winload.exe, then that's fine. Remember "D" above is the name of the drive on which your vista is installed. If your vista in on "F", use "F", etc. "default" in the blue text command above is the identifier for the os boot-up that you are trying to fix, in this case, vista. Sometimes, for the identifier you might have some long random numbers (GUID), just copy it and use it if is not the "default" that is shown.

Exit the DOS screen, restart your system, and you should be ok. If you have any problems please let me know.

Regards....DivineLogix

Dear Divine Logix,

It's already a couple of days I have the same problems and now I'm in real hopeless situation.

my computer is Shuting Down after 2-3 minutes with that winload.exe error.

this is my "bsdedit.exe" command list:

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

description             Windows Boot Manager

toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}

timeout                 0

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

Could you tell me, please in details (my english is a little poor) the steps i must do for fixing this problem.

Thank you very much.

YOU are my last hope.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:20 AM
  • What is this command?  I am having the same problem.  I hate Vista, too!

Saturday, April 05, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I had this issue after doing an MS update. I use a SATA drive. The only solution was to reinstall my SATA drivers and with the system disk installed, it then automatically repaired my boot issues once it could see my drive again.

Monday, April 07, 2008 12:53 PM
  • This was great.  My devices were actually already pointing to the correct drive.  So I'm guessing my issue may have something to do with seeing TWO "Windows Boot Loader" in the list.  The only diff is the first one shows 'default' at the identifier and the other shows a hex identifier.  Should I delete one?  How?

SAM

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:11 PM
  • The solution that worked for me using a SATA drive was to reload the SATA drivers and then use the Vista disk to repair the boot file. It worked really good.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  Divine Logix wrote:

Hi All,

Solution:

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
                            {default}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------

Regards....DivineLogix

I am getting this winload error also. Except I have a RAID1 as my boot volume (Mirror x2 SATA300 250GB)
    Something failed in the raid (after microsoft update) where I can only boot to windows when my bios is set to IDE mode rather then RAID
    Now my drives are showing independently  C: and D: (boot volume)
    I have another slave RAID1 as storage (Mirror x2 SATA300 500GB) that is showing as E: and F:
    These are both hardware level controled raids, not managed in windows

systems setup
    AW9D-MAX with E6600 2xKingston HyperX 1066 1GB DDR2 Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Vista Ultima 64bit

When my bios is set to raid mode I get the windows boot manager error windows\sys32\winload.exe

I am afraid to rebuild the raid in part that it could duplicate this error and I will be F'd ROYALLY
    In turn im not sure what the bcdedit should read since I got a raid

Can someone help please
    Here is my bcdedit.exe print

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    resumeobject            {8b18c20b-c12d-11db-afc2-ac36bbabc8b2}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    vga                     No
    quietboot               Yes

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Friday, June 27, 2008 4:54 AM
  • I dont know if I want to try that since I do not have a dual boot system and it also states that 90% of the time this does not work unless you have dual boot. I have a RAID1 Mirror single boot OS vista ultimate 64bit.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Had same problem.  My dual boot setup is XP on C: and Vista on F: (on separate physical drives)  using VistaBootPro.  I could boot into XP but selecting Vista resulted in DOS error stating that Winload.exe was missing or corrupt. When I booted into XP and looked at F: drive, I noticed that Windows and several other folders were missing. You might try the following which solved the problem for me.

Boot into XP

Open Windows Explorer and go to drive where Vista was installed.

Select option to fix errors.

At this point you will probably get a message stating that CHKDSK cannot run because some Windows components are in use, and offering to run it on next boot.  Answer yes.

Reboot into XP.  CHKDSK should then run on your Vista drive and will probably find numerous errors.

After completion, you should be returned to dual boot screen.

Select Vista and if it worked, Vista will boot as before.   

Don't know if this will work for those using BCEDIT, but it did work on VistaBootPro.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for the advise but as I have been saying regarding my problem I do NOT have a dual boot system and I do not have XP.  Single boot OS Vista Ultimate 64bit on a RAID1 Mirror
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:26 PM
  •  

Ok for some reason people have been getting confused about my thread.

If you have more than one OS/HD, the BCDedit commands should fix your issue.

If you are running one OS/Two HD's, my thread will provide an answer.

If you have a single HD and a single OS you should not be recieving this error. Please let me know if you do.

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  

The steps you should take REHV, are running the bootrec commands as specified. Then as long as you DO NOT select shutdown AT ALL, and only use "Restart", you should not recieve the error again. If you do, simply restart the system and it SHOULD boot. If you have any problems, let me know.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I believe I have found my solution!
    I can currently boot with my bios in ide mode- but my raid1 mirror is showing as independent drives (c and d)
    I do a simple windows search for winload.exe on the C: drive and get nothing
    that same search on the D: turns up winload.exe all over
    When I look at I my BCD 'device partation=C:'
    shouldnt this be D:?

If so is this just a simple bcdedit, reboot into the bios, change my bios from IDE mode to RAID mode, save to cmos then, theoretically boot into windows with my raid correct (showing as a singe drive C: )

Please someone correct me if I am wrong

C:\>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    vga                     No
    quietboot               Yes
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  Azmodii wrote:

Ok for some reason people have been getting confused about my thread.

If you have more than one OS/HD, the BCDedit commands should fix your issue.

If you are running one OS/Two HD's, my thread will provide an answer.

If you have a single HD and a single OS you should not be recieving this error. Please let me know if you do.

Hi everyone,
    I am getting this error with a single HD and a single OS. I run Vista on a WD 500 GB hard drive. After months of normal operation I started getting this message.

I need a little help. I don't have enough computer knowledge to attempt the fixes I've read here. My big hurdle is reaching the command prompt. My system goes directly to the error. I have tried to put the DVD drive as first in the boot order in order to boot off the installation DVD, but the first thing I see is the error. I have tried to swap out the hard drive for a new hard drive and I boot directly to the error. On all attempts I get a status bar saying "Windows is loading files..." and once the status bar is full the error message comes up.

I would be grateful is somebody can tell me what I can do for my first step in troubleshooting this problem. I can't get past this error. My only options are to press Enter to 'Continue' or Esc to 'Exit' but neither gets me anywhere.

Thanks everybody! I'm sure my solution is in this forum if I could just figure out how to get into the command prompt or something. My computer is completely useless (and stressful!) until I can resolve this issue.
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Have you tried starting in safe mode with command prompt?
    I believe you hit F8 a few times when you boot up and it should bring you to a  menu
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi, thank you for your suggestion. I tried, but was unable to get that option by pressing F8.

I also cleared my CMOS and then reset my BIOS to default settings, but the problem remains. Anybody with any ideas?
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:47 AM
  • If you can post thats a good thing. At least you can see the screen. Make sure you only have one chip in DIMM1 and make sure your DDR voltage is set to spec(whatever your chips are rated)

F8 needs to be pressed continually upon bootup.
    tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu. I think you should be able to get here

Let me know -Goodluck!

Im still waiting for someone to tell me about my possible solution
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hey, I resolved my problem. I had two DIMMs 1GB DDR 2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM by G SKILL. When I removed one my screen remained blank, no matter which slot on the motherboard I used. With the other piece of RAM my computer loads Windows (finally!)

Does anybody understand why this error message would come up for a RAM failure? To recap my situation, I was successfully running Windows Vista Home Premium for several months when I first got this error message. I was running a system with one operating system and one hard drive. The error remained when I switched to a fresh hard drive and after clearing the CMOS and resetting the BIOS to its default values. Thanks for your suggestions, REHV!
    Friday, July 04, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Dropped in the Vista Business CD and ran quick repair and restart (essentially it did a FIXBOOT since no Parition was set as Active for Vista -- Thanks GHOST 8!) and good to go!
    Monday, July 07, 2008 8:22 PM
  • what should I do?
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 4:09 AM
  • I have tried the above and my computer shows The computer cannot find the path specified.Please help! Under bcdedit.exe everything shows up like above but under resume object it is {a8e227c3-511a-11dd-be0a-cc6bd005df4f} and under timeout is 30 and my device partition=C:

If i restore under an earler version I cannot download microsoft updates and my computer is unprotected. When I do try and download updates my system will not start up without the cd. I thought your solution would be the solution but I am unable to get to the next step.

PLEASE HELP! 

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Ya, well 'fixboot' isn't a reconizable command. So what exactly did you enter at the C:\ prompt.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I am looking for the same solution for XP.  I can not boot into safe mode because the systems keeps looping back to the login screen.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:20 AM
  • I cannot fix the error this is what I have after bcdedit.exe in command prompt.

Windows Boot Manager

identifier                 {bootmgr}

device                    partition=C:

description             Windows Boot Manager

locale                     en-US

inherit                     {globalsettings}

default                    {default}

displayorder            {default}

toolsdisplayorder     {memdiag}

timeout                   30

Windows Boot Loader

identifier                  {default}

device                     partition=C:

path                        \Windows|systerm32\winload.exe

description               Microsoft Windows Vista

locale                      en-US

inherit                      {bootloadersettings}

osdevice                  partition=C:

resumeobject           {a8e227c3-511a-11dd-be0a-cc6bd005df4f}

nx                           OptIN

When I put in D:\Windows|System32>bcdedit/set{default}osdevice"partition=D:

I get the system cannot find the path specified. I would really appreciate someone sending me instructions so I can start

using my laptop again. Thanks for you help.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  

I cannot fix the error this is what I have after bcdedit.exe in command prompt.

Windows Boot Manager

identifier                 {bootmgr}

device                    partition=C:

description             Windows Boot Manager

locale                     en-US

inherit                     {globalsettings}

default                    {default}

displayorder            {default}

toolsdisplayorder     {memdiag}

timeout                   30

Windows Boot Loader

identifier                  {default}

device                     partition=C:

path                        \Windows|systerm32\winload.exe

description               Microsoft Windows Vista

locale                      en-US

inherit                      {bootloadersettings}

osdevice                  partition=C:

resumeobject           {a8e227c3-511a-11dd-be0a-cc6bd005df4f}

nx                           OptIN

When I put in D:\Windows|System32>bcdedit/set{default}osdevice"partition=D:

I get the system cannot find the path specified. I would really appreciate someone sending me instructions so I can start

using my laptop again. Thanks for you help.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  • you have to go to msconfig and try to make it your permenant version and save it that way then it will not forget to boot that way.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Is there a connection between this problem and installing Acronis TrueImage Home v10? I never saw this before until I tried loading TrueImage Home 10 and trying to run a backup. In fact, the software couldn't even see the hard drive on the system but saw the external drive and the flash drive I was using with ReadyBoost.
    Monday, December 01, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Thanks Divine Logix for your solution! It really helped me. I also had to change the device for the the {bootmgr}.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Ok maybe it's just me, but I'm having a very distinct problem with this, and none of the solutions that seem to have worked for previous users have worked for me. If someone would just bear with me, maybe I will be able to fix this. I've done this multiple times before this with no problems for other OS's, but I'm seeming to have an issue with Vista.

Basically, I installed Vista on a wholly inadequate drive, purely for testing purposes (I installed it on a 40g, 5400 rpm drive that I use for random things), and decided that I actually wanted to keep it as my OS (we'll call this drive C:). So, I decided I'd copy the whole drive to a raid array and just use that, for which I used Acronis Disk Director. So I made a copy of the 40g hard disk onto a 360g raid array (drive f:), the copy seems to be flawless. I attempt to boot into Vista off of the raid array (after removing said 40g drive), and I get the winload error.

How do I fix this? I've actually compared the winload file itself to others, and it seems untampered with and uncorrupt. I've also run bcdedit and the paths seem to be correct. However, I'm somewhat sketchy as to whether or not the new raid array with Vista on it is actually drive F: to the system or drive C:.

In addition, I've looked, and I'm unable to figure out which files in particular bcdedit.exe actually modifies, so that I can modify them personally if I'd like, working through a utility seems to be a bit much of a hassle for me, and I think progress would come quicker editting directly.

Any help, suggestions, comments, anything, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Hey guys, 
    I've been having the same problem (winload.exe missing or corrupt) but none of these things are working. I have 2 HDD's with Vista installed from the same install DVD. For some reason, one of them works and the other one stopped working mysteriously after I installed some updates. I didn't pay attention to what updates they were, but it sure messed up my computer. I even successfully booted up right before installing them.... I've tried everything listed all over the internet but my install isn't recognized by the operating system or the repair thing in the install DVD. 
    Any ideas? thanks.

-EDIT-
    I tried re-installing over my working installation (which had nothing on it except the OS) and now neither of my disks boot up. I am also getting a 0xc000000d error instead of 0xc000000e. not sure what that means, but at least something changed...
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:42 PM
  • HI i am having the same problem I try to what you did but I seem to can't change any line in my bcdedit. I did everything you did but when i hit enter I get a unknown command was specified. Can you help with this. thank you
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:56 AM
  • i have fixed this problem by simply going into the bios into the boot section and simply moving the hard drive with the os up in the hard drive section
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:18 AM
  • The fix for me was quite simple.  I booted to a Vista Business installation DVD and clicked through until I got to "repair my computer".  It popped up a box that said "we found errors in your bootup script.  Would you like to fix that?" or something to that effect.  I said Yes and it was cured.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Please, somebody help me.

I'm having exactly the same problem, as described above. Except, when I try to run bcdedit.exe on my still bootable win XP disk (in a cmd prompt) it says: "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY"

WTF? I have almost 4 gb of ram ...

Please help me!!!

I'm getting desperate to get my vista back ...

Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Several weeks ago, my boyfriend added Vista to his PC, which already had/has on two of its four drives one copy of W2k on each. (Briefly, the system has two hard drives, each partitioned once, totalling four drives or four drive letters. On those drives are three OS: two W2k and one Vista.) All has been fine (relatively, that is, for Windows) until this morning when Vista wouldn't boot. We tried several times, each attempt ending with an error message stating that Vista couldn't boot because windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupt 0xc000000e. W2k, on the other hand, did boot properly.

After reading this thread, I tried booting Vista after unplugging the USB mouse, the only USB plug in use. The system ran a check disk, which may or may have not been scheduled to run upon bootup today. After restoring or repairing a good number of corrupt files, Vista started up and  took me to the Welcome screen. I'm logged in now and I guess we'll see how it goes from here.

Odd, isn't it?

Monday, April 13, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Still having this problem in beta of win7.  Booting from esata flash drive.  Will not boot unless boot DVD is in the drive.  Must be pulling boot information from the DVD.  Very annoying because if you let windows try and fix itself it won't boot at all.  If you just leave the DVD in you can boot everytime.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Can anyone help me with this? i cannot run the repair cd because while it is loading files from it I get a blue screen crash everytime. I tried out a couple of the steps  above ( i think accurately) but i cant seem to fix this problem. The offending hard drive prevents my computer and another computer from booting when plugged in. However when it is unplugged they boot fine.  but i really need the data on that drive, please someone help me.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Azmodii

I know it is almost an year since you replied - but last week I had this problem with single HD and single OS.

Let me describe the problem

I have a Portege M400 running Vista Ultimate.  I was running out of room and decided to upgrade to a 500 gb harddisk from 120 GB.  Used Acronis True Image 11 to image the 120 GB to the 500 Gb but increased the partition sizes.  Everything worked fine for over a month and half (in this time I have downloaded and installed) all the Microsoft update that have a tag "important".

I was using the computer after a successful login and shutdown session during my daughters music class.  I came home and booted my computer and it gave the error "c:\windows\system32\winload.exe" with code 0xc000000e.  I switched back to the old 120GB and it works\ed fine.  I can then hook up the 500 GB via USB and all data is there.

Now here is what I am looking for.

What can I do so that I can boot using my 500 GB hard drive?  I have access to a Vista CD (and my original product ID, and the multicolor sticker on my computer), I do not have the Toshiba recovery disk, I do not have the HDD utility that Toshiba says computers come with, but I know for a fact that there is a recovery parition on the harddisk. I still have a three year onsite warranty from Toshiba that we paid extra and got with the computer. ( Irealize the Toshiba will not help much in this regard - I called and got a lousy tech and a lousy and useless reply)

Using the above Vista CD - I can get into the vista repair computer mode - but cannot see the vista OS to select.  I am thinking of using one suggestion I have seen - use the "bootrec /repairbcd" and I am going to try this next.

I have seen some solutions that people have suggested - I tried to copy the necessary files (winload.exe), but did not fix the problem.    I even copied the windows/system 32 directory and that did not help either.  Running bcdedit is a suggestion I have seen, but my questions is how to use it on the drive that is not booting?  I cannot seem to get to safe mode using f8 either.  Any thoughts or ideas or pointers are welcome.

thanks

rungun

Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hey,

I tried that method as you described, but it was a no go for me.  I've never used a command prompt before, but it said each process was success... is there anything else I could try? (I made a few typos, but just re-entered each command... does that prevent the whole process from working?)

I don't have multiple drives with different versions of windows- just Vista Ultimate

HELP!
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Hey- I know you had this problem a long time ago... but will this work if under Windows Boot Manager, it says:
    default           {default}

...instead of:

default           {current} as it does for you?

Thanks
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Is there a connection between this problem and installing Acronis TrueImage Home v10? I never saw this before until I tried loading TrueImage Home 10 and trying to run a backup. In fact, the software couldn't even see the hard drive on the system but saw the external drive and the flash drive I was using with ReadyBoost.
    There is 100% a connection between this cause after i tried to take an image with Truimage Home v11 i get the same Problem. And before there was everything ok!
    So i hope someone can spell me a good solution cause i have to fix this winload.exe problem on a Server 2008 PC :(
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hi All,

Solution:

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
                            {default}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------

Regards....DivineLogix

This worked great for me except I also had to modify the {bootmgr} section as well. Thanks!!
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:39 AM
  • O.K. so I have a newer toshiba (january '09) and it took a six inch fall or slip whichever you prefer. it has windows vista home premium that came on it howver it was necessary for me to wipe the hard drive and partitions and i tried using toshiba recovery software to reset to factory settings. I started it at night because at ten percent it said it would take 9 hours. I then woke up to find error 10FC12045D on toshiba software recovery. I googled it and it says the hard drive may be wrecked but it only fell a very short distance. When I try to boot without software recovery cd in I get the Windows sys32winload.exe error screen. I am a noob and don't know too much of bios or any command prompts. help
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:04 PM
  • O.K. so I have a newer toshiba (january '09) and it took a six inch fall or slip whichever you prefer. it has windows vista home premium that came on it howver it was necessary for me to wipe the hard drive and partitions and i tried using toshiba recovery software to reset to factory settings. I started it at night because at ten percent it said it would take 9 hours. I then woke up to find error 10FC12045D on toshiba software recovery. I googled it and it says the hard drive may be wrecked but it only fell a very short distance. When I try to boot without software recovery cd in I get the Windows sys32winload.exe error screen. I am a noob and don't know too much of bios or any command prompts. helpreport it to Toshiba

Hi Mattatreagen,

Firstly laptop drives are fairly fragile.. Even a small slip could crash the heads which it sounds like you have done.. Since your system is only 8 or 9 months old it will still have warranty. I would report it to toshiba as faulty. Dont EVER mention that it had a "slip" or "fall" they have no way of knowing unless there is physical damage to the case so they will replace under warranty..

Your issues will only be that you would have lost files from the old drive.

As far as the winload.exe issues, people be sure to check that if you have more than one drive in your system that the drive Vista is installed on is set as the primary in your bios (i.e that it is the drive your system looks to first to boot from) mine has been working fine for months but randomly it started to give the winload.exe issue.Turns out my drive order had changed in the bios changed it back and hey presto, windows boots again everytime. not sure why my system started to be random though!!!

Friday, September 04, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Me salvaste el pellejo primo   º!º!º!ºº!!º!
    Monday, September 07, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi, I'm having this problem with file:\windows\system32\winload.exe. Its a toshiba laptop with vista installed on it when bought. When the laptop is started up the Toshiba page opens up with F2 for utillities setup and F12 go to boot manager, the page then goes to a black screen then this:

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1/ Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2/ Choose your language settings and then click"Next"

3/ Click repair your computer

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer  manufacter for assistance.

File:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Info:the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I see you found a solution for this problem but how do i get to the page oyur talking about to change the path of the boot, mines being C drive. I've been in F2 and F12 and cant get  to a command prompt/DOS screen, to do d:\windows\system32

Can you help me onn how to solve this problem and how to get to the page where i change the directory.
    • Proposed as answer by Prytanis Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:41 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:43 AM
  • What i did: http://www.freshwap.net/forums/applications/20380-windows-vista-recovery-center-cd.html download this recovery disk (Rapidshare) burn it on a working pc boot the non-working pc from that boot disk you have just downloaded, choose your language and then repair. Simple easy and fast. So far worked for 5 pcs with the winload.exe corrupt or missing file.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:39 PM
  • The questions has been asked several times but no one has answered that I can find,

where can I download fixboot.exe?  It is not on the CD or on the hard drive.

Thanks
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Call me crazy, but if you're getting this error when trying to install windows for the first time, I have a solution.  This happens on about 10% of the computers I build (windows 7 based).  Try loading Optimum defaults in the bios or fully reset the CMOS (works more often with the optimum defaults), save and exit.   Now try to install windows again.

Hopefully this helps.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:41 PM
  • YES!   MY QUESTION ALSO! WHERE CAN I FIND THIS FABLED FIXBOOT.EXE??
    Does it exist?  It is not in any of my XP cab files or on the CD.

I recently re-installed an XP-Home on a new disk that had stupidly formatted as NTFS as an external drive using my Vista system.
      Now after applying all  upgrades to it including SP3, it suddenly will not boot anymore!

People have said "Oh just run Fixboot.exe".... 
    So where is it??

I have a basic bootable CD all set to go.... 
    Before anyone tells me "use the Recovery Console", I will tell you that I have a moronic E-Machines "PC-Angel" restore system for newbies, and I CANNOT AFAIK access the recovery console!
    Grrrr...
    • Edited by aqking Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:37 PM addendum..
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:47 PM
  • well , If any one have the problem related,

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1/ Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2/ Choose your language settings and then click"Next"

3/ Click repair your computer

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer  manufacter for assistance.

File:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Info:the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Please follow some steps to resolve this problem,

1. Boot the computer form  WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment).

2. Type following command at the boot partition, Let suppose "x" is our boot partition(Windows Partition)

bcdedit /set {default} device partition=x:
    bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=x:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=x:

exit/reboot,
    Your Windows Logon properly.
    Thanks

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi

If it is a desktop pc, remove the battery from the motherboard and replace it.

It worked for me. Windows boots normally.

Enjoy!

• Proposed as answer by tessjc Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by tessjc Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:46 AM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:19 AM
  •   my user name is joetess not trsjc I looking for missing email in 04/2010 not 06/2006 for computer using thank you Windows 7 Homa Premium
    • Proposed as answer by tessjc Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Solution,

This is because, windows boot manager can't fine the boot partition where OS is installed, you just need to run all three command no the cammand prompt,

x:\>bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=x:

x:\>bcdedit /set {default} device partition=x:

x:\>bcdedit /set {bootmgr} osdevice partition=x:

Note: Here "x" is represent the boot partition where OS is installed.

Regards,

UA

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Kid don't cry, take you HDD, try to find any computer that has the same motherboard and connect your hdd. it's all. Huggs KIds the solution is their
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Hey, how do I access bcdedit while the vista is not booting up?

Thanks

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:23 PM
  • You are saying it was a simple fix. But you are not mantioning how to fix it.

Thanks,

RBG123

Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:06 AM
  • hi ive been on command prompt and got this information up but how do i change the settings that needs changin as it dnt seem to let me

thanks

Saturday, July 03, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Can you tell me how?
    Please send me the answer: johanes40 at h.t .  c.m

Thanks

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:47 PM
  • just repair to use recovery consolve
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Yeah, the problem with installing Vista to a second partition is that it was never intended for that.  You actually have to install Vista first, then any other operating systems.  Windows was never really intended to be set up as anything other than a single operating system.

digitalfruit.biz
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:55 AM
  • An easier way to repair this boot problem is:

Boot from WinPE

from the \windows\system32\ prompt Type:

BCDEDIT /delete {default} /f

Then type:

bcdboot c:\windows

You may substitute the C: drive with whatever is appropriate

If you type bcdedit again it will display the boot information and the computer will boot correctly

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:37 PM
  • i tried this but couldnt get it to work so i copy and replaced it from the other place and it works fine for now
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Ok guys,

I had this same issue. turned out to be a boot virus.

I fixed it by running the Windows Vista CD --> Repair, I allowed Windows to repair automatically. System rebooted, Windows started! Yeah! Antivirus ran and picked up a Trojan boot virus. Anyhow Anti-Virus cleaned it up. All is fine now. Sorry , I did not get the name of the virus. Anti-Virus requested a restart immediately after removal. Rebooted, and checked logs, but I did not find the last event in the log.

By the way, before I found the virus, I tried to slave the HD on another system and copy the C:\windows\system32\boot\winload.exe to C:\Windows|System32 but the system would not allow me to overwrite, rename or modifiy the existing winload.exe in that directory.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:24 PM