none
Bug report while Adding/Removing Windows Components: Setup was unable to find igames.inf RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, yesterday i installed SP3 RC2 refresh, so far it's been running great with no problems at all.
    Today though, when i wanted to remove some windows components, i stumbled across an error:

Whenever i click "Add/Remove Windows Components" i get the error:

"Setup was unable to find igames.inf / Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 0"
    (that probably means the file doesn't exist).

After editing the "sysoc.inf" file by commenting the line "ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7" this specific error disappeared but appeared again with the file "msnmsn.inf". After commenting that relevant line in sysoc.inf "Add/Remove Windows Components" works fine.

I guess my "sysoc.inf" had been replaced or modified by the service pack installation, because it had worked earlier. Just wanted to mention the bug because i think most of the people would not be able to fix the error by themselves.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:37 AM

Answers

• Johannes140,

We do not suggest removing optional components entries from the inf file using third party softwares, and we definitely cant fix this. I hope you understand the reason, thanks for bringing this up.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:35 AM

All replies

• Please let us know the SKU of Windows XP you are using (Professional, Personal, Media Center etc.).

Sysdm.cpl would show you this information

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:08 AM
  • Professional that is.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:16 AM
  • Johannes140, can you verify if you have igames.inf under %windir%\inf folder?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Neither igames.inf nor msnmsn.inf are there. Could that be because i had a custom xp sp2 install with some features, as for example internet games and msn/messenger, removed by nlite, before i applied sp3 rc2?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  johannes140 wrote:
    I guess my "sysoc.inf" had been replaced or modified by the service pack installation,

johannes140,

What do you think of the message you wrote?

Regards,
    Thomas
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Arr? I don't quite understand what you mean. Ijust wanted to post this error message so that the possible bug could be removed. Why would sp3 have to add those lines to sysoc.inf regarding inf's that don't exist on my or generally a computer? I didn't have Internet Games on my system before sp3 and sp3 surely didn't add them, too, so why add that inf to the Add/Remove Windows Components management?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  johannes140 wrote:
    Neither igames.inf nor msnmsn.inf are there. Could that be because i had a custom xp sp2 install with some features, as for example internet games and msn/messenger, removed by nlite, before i applied sp3 rc2?

Yes.

Bye,
    Freudi
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:32 AM
  • Johannes140,

We do not suggest removing optional components entries from the inf file using third party softwares, and we definitely cant fix this. I hope you understand the reason, thanks for bringing this up.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:35 AM
  • johannes140 --> I'm sure you don't need me to explain any further... read the above 2 posted messages before this post.

Regards,

Thomas

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:32 AM
  • Hi, Installed SP3 today on XP Pro and now recieve same error message  re "file msnmsn.inf"

Can you explain in full how to fix this please?

Regards.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:37 PM
  • No problem Smile open file %SystemRoot%/inf/sysoc.inf
    and comment line which contains msnmsn.inf using ";"
    for  example.

before
    msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,hide,7

after
    ;msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,hide,7

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:29 PM
  •  Beralus wrote:
    No problem open file %SystemRoot%/inf/sysoc.inf
    and comment line which contains msnmsn.inf using ";"
    for  example.

before
    msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,hide,7

after
    ;msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,hide,7

Worked perfectly, thank you very much!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I got exactly the same problem with igames.inf and msnmsn.inf and your workaround also worked perfectly ;)

Thx very much..

Cheers
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:08 PM