none
network printer keeps "program not responding" every attempt to print

Question

• Hi, the problem I am having is that whenever I go to file>print and then nothing happens and Mozilla or whatever program I am using ends up not responding. When I go to Add a printer I do it all over again and it says it was successfully installed and when it asks me to print a test page, believe it or not, I click the button and the box freezes for a while and the page prints! I've also printed a page from Google once and it took me a LONG time. I Clicked file>print and at the top "program not responding" waited 10 minutes and then I clicked "OK" to print when it was responding again but then when i clicked "OK" the box froze and about 10-15 minutes later the page printed upstairs.I have also tried to print my resume off on OpenOffice and it only worked once but it took over a half hour of "Program Not Responding" and waiting for it to respond to do so. The computer I am using right now which is the one i am having the problem with is a Vista OS and the one I am connected to is XP. about a month ago my printer was working fine and the last time I printed before this was before the XP computer had to be reformatted. Also, just 4 days ago we had to get a new router because our internet connection was hiccuping. We are on a Secured connection and the printer I am connected to is an HP PSC 1300 Series. The router we had was a D-Link DI-524 and the one we changed to is currently  is a DIR-628. I have had this problem since yesterday and its been driving me NUTS so please, for the sake of my Sanity help me.

Thanks
    Mike
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

We recommend that users install the latest driver directly from device manufacturer's website. If your previous driver has issues, it is better to remove it first, and then install a new driver.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the driver, and then download the latest driver from the HP website that was provided by Cengiz.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Find the icons which are related to HP PSC 1300 Series, and delete them.
    3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".
    4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
    5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
    6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Most printer driver installation program can help us to install a shared printer. During the installation, it may prompt that if you would like to install a local printer or a network shard printer. Then select the correct option and finish the installation.

If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.
    2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.

After installing the driver, if the issue persists, I suggest that you temporary disable the firewall and anti-virus on the print host computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Hi Mike,

could you please try the following procedure.

1) Go to printer and faxes and remove the printer icon.If you get a message like the "printer is in use" or like this restart the print spooler service.To stop the spooler service click Start Menu > Run > and type services.msc and navigate to the print spooler service.Restart it.
    2) After that right click a blank field in the printer & faxes window and select server properties and go to drivers tab and remove the driver.
    3) Go to the Ports tab and remove the manually created port.
    4) Reboot your PC
    5) Install your driver software again.During the installation phase the wizard should ask you to plug in your printers usb cable because as far as I can see your printer model support only USB ?
    6) After the installation print a test page.
    7) Install both updates and print again a test page.
    8) If you experinece again such a connectivity problem please test it with the vendors printer connectivity tool."HP Printing Diagnostic Utility"

Update
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=my&lang=en&product=374568

Inform us about the result.

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it looks like that you have some problems with your driver (Software).As far as I can see from the vendors website there is only a software available.No seperate printer driver for this model.

The vendor has relased two important updates.Did you install these ? It describes your problem.

Update
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=my&lang=en&product=374568
    04-2009
    Critical Update to Enhance Reliability of Network and USB Connectivity and Improve System Responsiveness While Printing

03-2009
    Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Ok,

I downloaded and installed the updates. I restarted the computer and then tried printing again. The browser page that I tried to print, which was the link you sent me, took about half the time it did before so about 5 minutes compared to 10 minutes last time. I still get the "Program not Responding" on the top though. I tried to print off my resume and I'm still waiting for it to respond I just pressed file>print and 5 minutes ago and it's still not responding as I type this.

Something I forgot to mention on my initial post was that I installed this driver last night, but it did not help at all;
    http://pcdriver.tomp4.com/hardwaredriver/vista-driver/HP-psc-1300-series-for-windows-vista.html.

I just closed the window of printing off my resume because its still not responding. I would love to get the documents I have down here printed off, I dont know why it works for the browser but not any of my word processors. Thanks for the help so far.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hi Mike,

We recommend that users install the latest driver directly from device manufacturer's website. If your previous driver has issues, it is better to remove it first, and then install a new driver.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the driver, and then download the latest driver from the HP website that was provided by Cengiz.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Find the icons which are related to HP PSC 1300 Series, and delete them.
    3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".
    4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
    5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
    6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Most printer driver installation program can help us to install a shared printer. During the installation, it may prompt that if you would like to install a local printer or a network shard printer. Then select the correct option and finish the installation.

If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.
    2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.

After installing the driver, if the issue persists, I suggest that you temporary disable the firewall and anti-virus on the print host computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:37 AM
  • OK,

I did what you said and added a local port from my vista computer and did all that it said; install the driver Cengiz provided and now when i go to add a printer on my vista computer it is not detecting it. it said that it was installed successfully but when i tried to print a test page it would not print
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hi Mike,

could you please try the following procedure.

1) Go to printer and faxes and remove the printer icon.If you get a message like the "printer is in use" or like this restart the print spooler service.To stop the spooler service click Start Menu > Run > and type services.msc and navigate to the print spooler service.Restart it.
    2) After that right click a blank field in the printer & faxes window and select server properties and go to drivers tab and remove the driver.
    3) Go to the Ports tab and remove the manually created port.
    4) Reboot your PC
    5) Install your driver software again.During the installation phase the wizard should ask you to plug in your printers usb cable because as far as I can see your printer model support only USB ?
    6) After the installation print a test page.
    7) Install both updates and print again a test page.
    8) If you experinece again such a connectivity problem please test it with the vendors printer connectivity tool."HP Printing Diagnostic Utility"

Update

Inform us about the result.

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:04 PM