none
HELP! "desktop window manager is experiencing heavy resource contention" on win7 RTM

Question

• I have gotten 16 performance messages of "desktop window manager is experiencing heavy resource contention" on my HP Slimline Media Center running Win7 RTM x64 with 4GB or ram and nvidia geforce 9500 ge graphics card. What is causing this to happen and is there a known resolution? For me it started mid Aug on my Win7 RC but continued even after clean-installing Win7 RTM 2 weeks ago. This problem is causing my tv screen to render the media center at a crawled pace, though other programs are just as slow like explorer, zune, and ie8.

Aaron
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. What is the model of this HP Slimline Media Center computer?

2. Does this issue occur if Windows Media Center does not run?

Based on my research, this error is mostly caused by the over-use of graphics subsystem.

First, I suggest updating the graphics, BIOS update from HP site.

If it persists, you can test it in clean Boot Mode, here is the detailed step:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If it does not work, I suggest disabling some graphical effects such as Aero and screensaver.

1. Right click on Desktop and choose Personalize.

2. Choose a Basic Theme.

3. You can also change the Screensaver settings on this page.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:45 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. What is the model of this HP Slimline Media Center computer?

2. Does this issue occur if Windows Media Center does not run?

Based on my research, this error is mostly caused by the over-use of graphics subsystem.

First, I suggest updating the graphics, BIOS update from HP site.

If it persists, you can test it in clean Boot Mode, here is the detailed step:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If it does not work, I suggest disabling some graphical effects such as Aero and screensaver.

1. Right click on Desktop and choose Personalize.

2. Choose a Basic Theme.

3. You can also change the Screensaver settings on this page.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:45 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:16 AM

• Computer: HP Pavilion Slimline s3500t.
    Affecting: Everything is noticably slower - zune, hulu, media center - but media center is the worst with the visuals crawling in slow motion. 

Tongith I will try the clean boot mode and the bios update from hp. I already tested basic them and don't have a screen saver.

I'll post my findings to the thread later on.

Aaron

thanks for the help!

Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Just a follow-up post.

I performed the clean boot with no success.
    And HP doesn't have any windows 7 drivers on their support site. Unlike Dell which has a targeted section full of windows 7 specific drivers.

By the way, my HP Slimline died on me yesterday. It doesn't turn on. I think it just had a power short from the graphics being overworked and possibly overheating.
    They are sending someone out to fix the hardware portion next Saturday.

Aaron
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the post.

If there is any update, you can post here.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Hi Vivian and group,

HP sent over a new power brick for my desktop media center and I am up and running again. So I can confirm that the computer's processors and/or graphic cards were running so hot it did indeed burn out my power brick within the desktop tower.

All of my same performance problems are still an issue even after replacing my power brick. Media center crawls in rendering and performance, it is absolutely unbearable. IE8 and Zune are sluggish but tollerable - probably because they don't rely on the video rendering as much. And that is all I do with the machine, just use those 3 applications.

In the end, this seems like an issue with my graphics driver - which is the version: 190.62 WHQL released on 8.21.09. This is around the same time performance started to tank. 

Aaron
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that the computer is up and running.

As you mentioned, it should be the Graphics card driver issue. How about reinstalling the driver as below?

Reinstall driver

==============

1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Double click to expand "Display adaptors".

3. Right click your graphics card and click Uninstall.

4. Check "Delete driver software for this device" check box, click OK.

5. Click Start, type APPWIZ.CPL.

6. High light the graphics card software and choose Uninstall

7. Restart the computer.

If the issue persists, you may need to wait for a driver update from HP.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 8:52 AM