none
Win 8 - how do change the login account? RRS feed

• Question

• so i removed my windows 8 enterprise test machine from the domain to do some testing and now i can't log in...

it keeps trying to force me login with the now defunct domain account... 

how can i change it to use another local account? (it isn't showing me any other user tiles or anything other than a password field) which doesn't work because the machine isn't in AD, even if i unplug from network can't trick it into asking me for a local account.

not found a shortcut yet... and moving the mouse to upper right corner doesn't do anything either.

i have even restarted with the Dart tool and deleted that 'cached' profile (domain user account) and it is still trying to force me to use that account.

so i have basically bricked my machine after removing it from the domain unless there is some "magic" trick to change log in with a different account.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• glad you marked it as the answer... even though it isn't. >:|

The real answer was for me to load the D.A.R.T. tool from Microsoft- use the regedit tool in there and navigate to this registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI 

and remove all of the references that were holding to my domain account information (and not the password wasn't cashed :) 

once that was cleared it tricked it into thinking that there wasn't a previous user and thus started to display the more 'normal' windows 8 login gui.

hope someone one finds this 'nuance' helpful

• Marked as answer by ShadAcker Monday, September 30, 2013 2:06 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you create another user on the computer? If yes, I suspect it is controlled by group policy. Please try the domain account again since there would be the cache credential on the PC.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, September 30, 2013 2:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShadAcker Monday, September 30, 2013 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:42 PM
  • glad you marked it as the answer... even though it isn't. >:|

The real answer was for me to load the D.A.R.T. tool from Microsoft- use the regedit tool in there and navigate to this registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI 

and remove all of the references that were holding to my domain account information (and not the password wasn't cashed :) 

once that was cleared it tricked it into thinking that there wasn't a previous user and thus started to display the more 'normal' windows 8 login gui.

hope someone one finds this 'nuance' helpful

• Marked as answer by ShadAcker Monday, September 30, 2013 2:06 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 2:05 PM