help with - ckcnvk.dll

• Hi There,

I was wondering if you could help me please.
    My AVG detected a trojan  with virus name  - "trojan horse Cryptic.BTF"  and  it  resided in :
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\ckcnvk.dll

Since AVG deleted the trojan, every time we load the windows an error window appear and it says :

error loading C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\ckcnvk.dll
    the specified module could not be found.

I can not find any information what this file stand for, and I did run sfc /scannow
    but no positive result, Also the ckcnv.dll file exist in c:\windows\system32

Does any one know what this file stand for, and if i dont need it how can i fix this error?

Many thanks and highly appreciate your help.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:39 PM

All replies

• Run MSCONFIG (Start->Run, type MSCONFIG and press enter).  Go to the Startup tab and uncheck the box that refers to it.

Or, you can download CCleaner from, install it, run it, select Tools, select Startup and delete the entry altogether.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

I have already tried with MSCONFIG   but  i cant find any service referred to this ckcnvk.dll file,

also i check one by one all services but can not find any info, its really odd...:(

I just tried as suggested with cccleaner, but nothing i cant find to be related to this file, an

any other ideas please????

or any one can tell me how to find out , that this file is related to what service

many thanks

Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Try using Autoruns from sysinternals. This will give you much better information regarding startup items. Since the .dll was deleted by AVG, the start-up item should show file not found in autoruns.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 12:22 AM
  • It's not a service, it'll be in the Startup entries.

But anyway, there are two other methods: Download and run Autoruns from and see if it's listed in there somewhere.

Run REGEDIT and do a search for ckcnvk.dll and delete any reference to it.  My guess would be you'll find an entry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but it really could be anywhere.

Friday, January 07, 2011 12:23 AM