none
Deleted Files on Desktop Re-appear after reboot/shutdown

Question

• Right, i try to delete some files and folders from my desktop, and they successfully go after emptying my recycle bin, but as soon as i reboot/ start up the computer again they suddenly re-appear again???
    I am running Windows 7 RC 32 bit, and i am the administrator.

There are various items that i cannot delete a couple of JPEG images, PHP files, a CGI file, a Javascript File.
    If i move them to another location they just go right back to the desktop.
    Anything else you need info about?
    • Edited by bass2k8 Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:30 AM Updating Info
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:00 AM

All replies

• Would you mind telling some details about the file?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:25 AM
  • There are various items that i cannot delete a couple of JPEG images, PHP files, a CGI file, a Javascript File.
    If i move them to another location they just go right back to the desktop.
    Anything else you need info about?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:30 AM
  • I have an idea that the these files are automatically generated by a program installed on your computer.
    Would you mind telling me which program is set to start with Windows 7?

(To view the list, press Win Key+R, type msconfig, and click on the tab "Startup".)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Nah its not a program creating them, its my own files that i put on there, i created them files myself.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:03 AM
  • I noticed that you installed Windows Live Sync. Would you mind having a look at your Skydrive? Or Windows Live Sync syncs files between two PCs?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Nope, my skydrive is empty.

And my Windows Live Sync Folders do not point towards my Desktop

I think this is a bug, i hope it can be fixed before i purchase Windows 7.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Actually I don't think it's a bug.

It seems that the only way to show if there's a program preserves these files is that you reboot your PC to safemode, delete these files and reboot to safemode again to see if the files still exist.

I'm really sorry for not finding a better idea.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Hmm that could work, what method of deleting do you suggest i do?
    Command Prompt or just deleting them normally??
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Well, I think both are ok.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Right, ok, i will attempt both of these, will let you know the results.
    May do some print screen if neccessary.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:29 AM
  • That worked! The files are now deleted, but I'm not sure whether the problem is fixed. I haven't tested whether i can delete any other files normally (Because i especially don't wanna have to always go into safe mode just to delete a file).

This may be a bit of help, recently i have been having problems with logging in... I get stuck on the Welcome screen, i left it for half an hour once and it was the same so i just held the power button down and turned it off... The same situation with Logging off, it sometimes gets stuck on the Logging off status bit, so i just held down the power button and turned it off.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Well, since these files can be deleted under SafeMode, it means that there's a program (Not Windows itself) fixing these files. Hmm, have you backed these files up with True Image?

As for Welcome Screen, there's some known reasons:

1. Kaspersky Anti-Virus (It's not the key to your problem, because you are using Morro)
    2. Overheating
    3. Compatibility Problems

In my opinion, the 3rd reason fits best to your problem.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Acronis True Image backs up my Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos every half hour to another partition (E:/):

Windows explorer just crashed and came up with Windows Visual Studio or something as the title window, show blacked out details...

... and it also popped up with 2 windows explorer windows

I closed the visual studio window and it crashed windows explorer, i had to restart it by task manager. It might have happened when i went to open up a backup, because once i did my whole computer started to go slow.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:07 PM
  • ADD THEM TO A NEW FOLDER, NAME IT, THEN TRY THIS:

I really sought out many versions of help with removing folders that were not found in my C:/ Drive and found a much simpler way, of course with the help of other postings...

Now, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me. What I did was very simple.

I created a new folder (did not named it) and just dragged it over to the trouble folder.

Now this part can be very tricky because a duplicate folder may apprear. If this happens delete the old folder and keep the new one that appears.

Then create a new folder (no need to name it) and drag it over to the "New" Trouble Folder.

Then you'll notice that it will accept the un-named drop in folder and Whalla.....Now You Can Delete The Folder And No More Nightmares..!!!!

BODA...

• Proposed as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 08, 2010 6:30 AM
    Monday, November 08, 2010 6:30 AM