none
Windows 10 Remote Desktop Audio Constantly Stops

Question

• Hello,

I have been experiencing a troubling issue with Windows Remote Desktop Audio constantly stopping at random times every hour of the day.

Here is the configuration of the machines that are interfacing with one another.

Machine A: Remote Dedicated Server running Windows Server 2016 Standard | Build 14393.rs1_release_1.180212-1105

Machine B: Local machine running Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 | Build 16299.248

++++++++++++++++++++++

SYMPTOMS:

When Machine B is connected to Machine A via RDC, the audio on Machine A stops at random times (i.e. 3 min - 60 min after running).

RESOLUTION (TEMPORARY):

1. Open Command Prompt with elevated Administrator privileges.

2. Run command: sc queryex audiosrv --> taskkill /f /pid ##### ---> net start audiosrv

I have to run the above temporary fix every time audio stops broadcasting on Machine A.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) configuration:

Local Resources --> Remote audio Settings --> Remote audio playback = Play on this computer

REQUEST:

Why is audio on the remote machine shutting done so frequently? This issue started approximately around February 1st , 2018.  Two months later, the problem still persists. The audio icon on Machine A does not have an X on it when audio stops.

In fact, in Machine A, the Services (Local) panel shows Windows Audio status as Running while there is no audible audio coming from the speakers in Machine B. That is why I have to run a taskkill on the PID that is serving the audio service first, because net restart audiosrv does not work. I have been able to repeat this issue on 4 other local machines running Win 10 Pro.

Please help. It is exhausting to have to manually monitor that the audio is playing on the machines every minute of the day and restart it when the audio goes mute.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Chrystopher,

Did you use the RDS Server? What if you configure "Play on remote computer"? Was your network quality fine?

First of all, please update all of the computers to the latest build.

In addition, you can restart the audio service via Restart-service PowerShell command directly as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:32 AM
  • Hi Chrystopher,

Did you use the RDS Server? What if you configure "Play on remote computer"? Was your network quality fine?

First of all, please update all of the computers to the latest build.

In addition, you can restart the audio service via Restart-service PowerShell command directly as below:

Hello Karen,

Thank you for the response, but I have not deployed RDS Server. I simply open up Remote Desktop Connection from my Win 10 Pro local machine, then session into this remote Win 2016 server.

I can't play audio on the remote server, because it does not have a soundcard installed.

By the way, that PowerShell command that you provided me does not work. It reads "Warning: Waiting for service 'Windows audio (audiosrv)' to stop....' "That is why I have to run a command to kill the service first, before I re-start it.

This suggests that the audiosrv may not be necessarily crashing, but somehow, it becomes suspended or inoperable, and the server continues to report it as "Running", even though it clearly has stopped streaming audio.

If you have any suggestions on how I can run audio from this remote server more efficiently, without the constant Audiosrv crashing, please let me know.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

What about your network quality?

Please go to audio adapter manufacturer's website to download the latest version driver applied to your computer A and computer B.

In addition, let's double confirm this situation.

When you remote connection from B(Windows 10 ) to A (Windows Server 2016) and set "Play on this computer".

In such case, the audio will play out from B instead of A, how did you know the audio on Machine A stops at random times at the same time?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 16, 2018 8:04 AM