none
Windows 7 Beta install using ISO image mounting with Daemon Tools

General discussion

•  

Here is what I did to install Windows 7 Beta 32bit only, without any DVD’s to burn….

BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS or COMPLETE BACK UP FIRST

I am running XP Pro on may main drive C: on the first Partition,,, 2nd partition is formatted at 80GB and NTFS with Drive letter F: or whichever you want is fine.

I used EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Home Edition - FREE FOR HOME USERS ONLY…to partition my drive.

Link… http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
    Screen Shots Link… don’t let them scare you off…
    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/screenshot.htm

View my Post on my web site here, to see how to use Partition Manager 3.0 includes a video and PIC.
    Link… http://www.webexpressplus.com/blog/2009/01/21/disk-partitioning-software-free/

Warning BACK UP your important files first… I will not be responsible for any lost files or damage by giving you this info…

Make sure you write down you Windows 7 beta Serial Key on paper, so you have access to it during install. Also when you install Windows 7 beta (MAKE SURE YOU ARE SELECTING THE EXTRA PARTITION YOU CREATED) or you will end up wipping out your Main OS on C: Drive.

1.       Running XP Pro. I made a 2nd partition on that drive and formatted it to NTFS. Use EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Free addition for home users.

2.       I installed DAEMON TOOLS LITE on XP Pro. Link… http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/download.php?catid=5&mode=ViewCategory

3.       I Mounted the Windows 7 Beta ISO using Daemon Tools lite.

4.       I did a full install selecting the New Partition that was formatted NTFS and a Drive letter assigned (F:) any letter will work.

5.       It proceeded with the install extracting the files and expanding them to my (F:) Drive.

6.       It rebooted several times with no problems. Windows 7 Beta & Windows XP Pro are selectable from the startup menu, no extra work or programs needed like (EasyBCD, or Vista Boot Pro).

7.       I tested both XP and Windows 7 and the both start up just fine. Can’t believe it but it’s true.

8.       Now get all the updates and enjoy.
    I have not tried this with Vista installed so if you Have or want Vista also, do it at your own Risk!!!

My System Specs:

Processor:
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory:
    4-GB RAM OCZ-PC2-6400
    Hard Drive:
    WD 160 GB x2 RAID 0
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
    Monitor:
    22" Wide Screen
    Sound Card:
    Max sound 7.1 surround
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Logetec
    Keyboard:
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse:
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Smooth-Baby-Smooth (Fast)
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit with Windows 7 Beta dual boot.
    Motherboard:
    ASUS SLI Deluxe-NVIDIA Chipset 570
    Computer Case:
    RAIDMAX SMILODON EXTREME

Thank you, Jake

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• I see you have a 64bit system so why would you install W7 32bit? / W7 64bit DOES need a DVD with the ISO image since you cannot start the install in a 32 bit mode.

I have:

ASUS M2N VM-DVI

4Gb (2*2) DDR2 pc667

Athlon +4400 (64*2)

Total 1Tb HDDs

IDE0 (60Gb w/ XP 32bit OS)

SATA2 (2nd partition 60Gb w/ Windows 7 64bit OS)

NVIDIA onboard digital audio (backplane SPDIF & Optical connection) and video (DVI) (vista drivers OK)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:20 AM
  • Hi, M Kraak

As for why i did not install Windows 7 64 bit, well i just do not have a need or see to many drivers or software that are available for a 64 bit OS. Espeacially a Beta version. I do have Vista 64 bit and have used it a good part of the time.

64 bit OS's are more stable??? But 32 bit does any and everthng i need. Mybe in the future there will be a real place for a 64 bit OS, but i see no real need for it in the average or just above average users need.

Ask yourself this: How many 64 bit programs do you have? I bet the answer will be NONE! Maybe one or 2 games and that is not very likely either! As for the 64 bit games I seen no difference in the quality or very little.

And as for installing it with Daemon tools from mounting the ISO, at the time I had no DVD's to burn it too, so i thought it would be interesting to see if it could be done using Daemon Tools to mount it and install without having any problems. And it all went very well, it really suprised me that is done the complete install so easily.

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Hi

Does not search the installation for win 7 DVD after restart?

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Ventsislav Alexandriyski said:

Hi

Does not search the installation for win 7 DVD after restart?

Not sure what you mean by that!!!
    1. Make sure Daemon Tools is set to start when Windows starts,, in Peferances make sure the box is checked in Daemon tools that says " Auto Start Try Icon". Other than that the actual install files should just extract to the drive you specified. If not make sure you have your drive set to boot that Hard drive also or Partition.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Jake The Geek said:

Hi, M Kraak

As for why i did not install Windows 7 64 bit, well i just do not have a need or see to many drivers or software that are available for a 64 bit OS. Espeacially a Beta version. I do have Vista 64 bit and have used it a good part of the time.

64 bit OS's are more stable??? But 32 bit does any and everthng i need. Mybe in the future there will be a real place for a 64 bit OS, but i see no real need for it in the average or just above average users need.

Ask yourself this: How many 64 bit programs do you have? I bet the answer will be NONE! Maybe one or 2 games and that is not very likely either! As for the 64 bit games I seen no difference in the quality or very little.

And as for installing it with Daemon tools from mounting the ISO, at the time I had no DVD's to burn it too, so i thought it would be interesting to see if it could be done using Daemon Tools to mount it and install without having any problems. And it all went very well, it really suprised me that is done the complete install so easily.

It's not really that, it is for testing purposes. Why not be nice to MS & see how far you can take it?

I certainly did & am quite happy with the results & was able to help others on the forum.

Windows7 64bit is great for 32bit and 64bit programs. All my 32bit stuff works on W7 64bit. The only exception is my webcam but honestly I haven't put any time in finding vista drivers for it. All other h/w that needed a 64bit driver allowed the use of the available vista64bit drivers.
    W7 loads from boot in 25-30s flat. Programs (also 32bit) open like maximising a window. And since W7 handles 32bit apps much better than vista there is really no reason not to go 64bit.

I dual boot XP-32 and W7-64 each with their own drivers (it's a test version anyways - so I'm trying to get the absolute most)
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:29 PM