none
Steam isn't running apps

Question

• My errors thus far with the current games I've installed off steam:

Bioshock: "Application load error (0x02)"
    Mass Effect: Doesn't load, and instead gives me a "Program has crashed" error, asking me if I want to reinstall the program.
    Deus Ex: "Failed to find Steam."
    Half-Life: "Could not load filesystem dll. FileSystem crashed during construction."
    Quake 3 Arena: "Failed to find Steam."

I have .. probably 20 or so more games pending to be loaded, but I can see a pattern here, and it's not good. I don't know what I did to mess up Windows 7 64x, but whatever it is
    I need to figure out how to fix it. I would appreciate your help. And by help I mean, you suggesting something that might 'actually' help, other than "These games work for me", because you aren't helping, you're now apart of the problem. This is deeply unsettling to me, as I'm expecting bugs, but not so much to inhibit the full function of Steam as a service.

I have uninstalled both the games AND Steam, more than once. I've tried to find a way to make this service more compatible. I am as up-to-date with software and firmware as I can get, I believe. I've done probably.. 15 Google searches  on these topics, with no success. I don't want to post another thread because I'll either be told it was something as simple as (insert fix here), or that the problem is unsolved as of late, and there is 'maybe' a fix in the future.

As I've said, any and all help is appreciated.
    • Edited by Orzene Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:47 AM add information.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:45 AM

Answers

• The Steam website does not make any reference to being Windows 7 compatible.

Contact Steam Support and tell them about your situation.  My guess is the an update to Steam is needed to be Windows 7 comaptible.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:09 PM
  • A bit of an update. I reinstalled Steam, and then then decided to install Assassin's Creed. The start-up out of the actual Steam client seems to come to halt at an error, but the executables in the actual game folder seem to run without any drawbacks, or errors. I've yet to try that with some of the other games, but rest assured, it seems that the Steam client itself seems to be having issues with running these games. I'm not sure as to why, yet, though. If anyone has heard of this, and maybe has a link to a solution, I'd enjoy reading any posts of this sort. Would probably help in cleaning up the forums with random "help" threads.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:38 AM

All replies

• The Steam website does not make any reference to being Windows 7 compatible.

Contact Steam Support and tell them about your situation.  My guess is the an update to Steam is needed to be Windows 7 comaptible.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:09 PM
  • I have not seen this with the Steam App but I am running Windows 7 32 bit with at least 12 games two that are on your list. I would uninstall Steam app/reinstall maybe even use a installer cleaner.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:31 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 x64 and have Steam running fine. When you did the install, did you do a Run As...Administrator or make sure you have Admin priveleges?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 x64 and have Steam running fine. When you did the install, did you do a Run As...Administrator or make sure you have Admin priveleges?
    I think this may be your prob.  I can remember doing some right mousing and "run as" along the way.  I think that was for the Steam client itself.
    In my case I have a dual boot partitioned drive and drug a copy of the Steam folder from XP 32bit across the drive partition to the (x86)programs folder on the Win7 64bit partition.  
    It was fairly painless to get working.  In addition to the "run as" I did the right mouse "verify integrity of game cache" for each game inside the steam games list and that is about it. 
    So, I wouldn't give up and reinstall just yet.   Doing that with 20+ games is going to take you ages and there is probably just one simple thing holding you back.  Just gotta figure out what that is. 
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:41 AM
  • A bit of an update. I reinstalled Steam, and then then decided to install Assassin's Creed. The start-up out of the actual Steam client seems to come to halt at an error, but the executables in the actual game folder seem to run without any drawbacks, or errors. I've yet to try that with some of the other games, but rest assured, it seems that the Steam client itself seems to be having issues with running these games. I'm not sure as to why, yet, though. If anyone has heard of this, and maybe has a link to a solution, I'd enjoy reading any posts of this sort. Would probably help in cleaning up the forums with random "help" threads.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:38 AM