none
Windows Admin Center: Missing sddcres.dll RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I have recently spun up a 3-Node failover cluster with S2D and Hyper-V roles installed, configured, and actively working. Windows Admin Center is pointing me to an article that states it relies on a set of APIs that are not included in Server 2016. However, when I run the command posted on the article, it fails and displays that "C:/windows/cluster/sddcres.dll" doesn't exist. According to the article the libraries are downloaded in 2016 if the 05-2018 KB is installed. I've verified that all 3 nodes are on 07-2019 (just ran CAU to ensure it was installed on all nodes and it was successful). This still didn't fix the command. So, I downloaded the update directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog just in case.. and the installer returns a message that "this update is not applicable".

    During the deployment of these nodes I didn't see anything that specifically mentioned 'Hyper-Converged' or a setting I needed to toggle to indicate that. As far as I'm aware the term Hyper-Converged just describes the configuration of the architecture (S2D+Hyper-V on boxes in a Cluster).

    Everything in the cluster validation is coming back valid, and I've verified that S2D is functional (NVMe are "Journals" and my HDD/SDD pool is correctly displaying as Capacity & Performance).

    Any recommendations?



    • Edited by _Mastodon Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:38 PM Grammar
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:36 PM

Answers

  • All three nodes were on the 06-2019 Cumulative Update prior to cluster creation. 

    I'm currently manually downloading KB4093120 from the Update Catalog on the offchance that I managed to download the wrong one. I'll update the post if this works. 

    Edit: Downloading the update did not work. However, I decided to dig into every Node and found sddcres.dll on NODE2. I copied it to the other 2 nodes, gave ownership to TrustedInstaller.. and now everything is working..

    I can't find a rhyme or reason why it didn't exist on all 3.



    • Marked as answer by _Mastodon Monday, July 22, 2019 2:24 PM
    • Edited by _Mastodon Monday, July 22, 2019 2:24 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 2:05 PM

All replies

  • When you run the command, are you running it on one of the cluster nodes?

    The command should look like this when run locally on a cluster node

    Add-ClusterResourceType -Name "SDDC Management" `
     -dll "$env:SystemRoot\Cluster\sddcres.dll" `
     -DisplayName "SDDC Management"

    or this if you want to run it remotely from a management server

    Invoke-Command -ComputerName "S2D-Cluster-Name" -Scriptblock {
    Add-ClusterResourceType -Name "SDDC Management" -dll "C:\Windows\Cluster\sddcres.dll" -DisplayName "SDDC Management"
    }


    Cheers, Ben Thomas Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP Cloud and Datacenter Management Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.


    Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:03 AM
  • I was running it on the node directly, yes. When I check the C:\Windows\Cluster directory the sddcres.dll is not there.

    Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:46 PM
  • Were the nodes patched before creating the cluster and enabling S2D?

    Were the service stack updates installed?

    You might need to open a Support Case as those DLLs should definitely be there on the cluster nodes if they're patched correctly with S2D Enabled


    Cheers, Ben Thomas

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP Cloud and Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    Monday, July 22, 2019 3:35 AM
  • All three nodes were on the 06-2019 Cumulative Update prior to cluster creation. 

    I'm currently manually downloading KB4093120 from the Update Catalog on the offchance that I managed to download the wrong one. I'll update the post if this works. 

    Edit: Downloading the update did not work. However, I decided to dig into every Node and found sddcres.dll on NODE2. I copied it to the other 2 nodes, gave ownership to TrustedInstaller.. and now everything is working..

    I can't find a rhyme or reason why it didn't exist on all 3.



    • Marked as answer by _Mastodon Monday, July 22, 2019 2:24 PM
    • Edited by _Mastodon Monday, July 22, 2019 2:24 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 2:05 PM