none
Windows 7 Installation - One Driver Issue

Question

• In Device Manger under "Other Devices" there is an entry titled "Base System Device." The message is " The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There is no driver selected for the device information set or element. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver." Also "pci bus 9, device 3, function 2" appears. Needless to say, the "Update Driver Software" nor the Sony Support Website seem to list any drivers. However, everything seems to work but perhaps I haven't used whatever function this driver runs.

I'm running a Sony laptop, Model VGN-FW351J. 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo, 64 kilobyte primary memory cache, 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache,
    64-bit ready, Multi-core (2 total), Not hyper-threaded.

Any suggestions to update (or install) the driver will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:10 PM

Answers

• Okay - Got it fixed thanks to your suggestions. At the Sony download site there is a file

Ricoh® Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver or Filename : RIDMSC-70165677-64.EXE. I didn't realize it but the Sony Memory Card Reader slot went dead after Windows 7 installation. This file fixed it.

As far as I know that is the only problem I had after installing W7 Professional.

Once again, thank you all for the great leads!

PS - I should add that a goodly number of the W7 updates on the Sony site for this specific laptop, while clearly marked as updates for Windows 7 actually stop installing and say "Only works with Vista."  

• Marked as answer by NCPrius Monday, November 02, 2009 6:35 PM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi

In Device Manager, right click that device and select Properties/Details Tab.

Under Property, click the Drop Down menu and select Hardware Ids.

Copy each one of Hardware Id lines and post them back here in a reply.

We can try to identify that device so that we can search for drivers.

Let us know.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:36 PM
  • As Ronnie said, we can try to use the device ID to find further information about the device.

Here is the steps we should do:

1. Open the unknown device in Device Manager.

2. Go to Details --- Hardware lds.

3. Open http://www.pcidatabase.com/, input the id under VEN to Vendor Search box.

4. Click the Vendor name to get the Vendor Details page. Find the Device ID in left side of the page.

For example, if a hardware ID is VEN_1002&Dev_9611&SUBSYSxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Input 1002 in Vendor Search box. We will get vendor name like "ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.".

Then find 0x9611 in Device ID so that we can get following information:

Chip Number: RS780

Chip Description: ATI RADEON 3100 Graphics

Notes: Integrated Graphics

Now we can try to find a driver for the ATI 3100 display card.

If you cannot find exact information, just provide the hardware ID here.

If we get the exact device name, we will need to find drivers for these unknown devices. If failed to find a Windows 7 driver, try Windows Vista driver instead (install in Compatibility Mode). If that will not work, contact Sony for further help on suitable drivers.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi Ronnie & Shaon. Thanks for your replies.

Below are the Hardware IDs: 

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9035104D&REV_12

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9035104D

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_088000

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_0880

I then plugged Vendor ID 1180 into the Vendor ID search and got the following results:

Device IdChip DescriptionVendor IdVendor Name
    0x1180   0x1093 National Instruments
    0x3149 SATA RAID Controller 0x1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
    0x3164 VIA VT6410 PATA/PATA RAID Controller 0x1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
    0x3249 VIA VT6421 RAID Controller - Windows XP 32.bit 0x1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
    0x0805 SD Card Controller 0x1179 Toshiba America Info Systems
    0x1000 XaQti 1000Mbit/sec Gbit Ethernet Controller 0x13D8 Phobos Corporation
    0x4301 Dell Truemobile 1180 802.11g MiniPCI 0x14E4 Broadcom Corporation
    0x1180 PCIe-180 0x198a Nallatech

However, I have no idea what to do from this point. I'm guessing that Nallatech might have the driver but I can't find it on their website. Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Harry Poole
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Hi

In this particular case, your best option would be to contact Nallatech or Sony support directly by email and explain the details of the error message. They may have a solution for you. My best guess is that there may be a custom driver for this component that is develped and installed by Sony.

On the other hand, if the everything is working properly and you are experiencing no apparent problems, you might just want to ignore the behavior unless something specific occurs?

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, November 02, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Hi

In this particular case, your best option would be to contact Nallatech or Sony support directly by email and explain the details of the error message.

Agreed.  The instructions/suggestions posted by Shaon shan may not be helpful, because those procedures identify the main chip/chipset used on the various components, rather than identifying the precise make/model of the actual component.  Different component manufacturers/assemblers may use the same 'main chip' to build their component around, but they can possibly implement it differently on their component.  In such circumstances a 'customised' device driver provided by the component manufactuer might be required, rather than the more 'generic' device driver provided by the chip manufacturer.

With respect to desktop PCs this will be most relevent in relation to motherboard chipset drivers and/or integrated graphics drivers.  For laptop machines it is *always* best practice to source device drivers, where needed, directly from the laptop manufacturer website.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Sometimes the most obvious is best. So, try here:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNFW351J&SelectOS=45

Tom
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Monday, November 02, 2009 5:07 AM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Sometimes the most obvious is best. So, try here:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNFW351J&SelectOS=45

Tom

Oh my goodness!  We've all been TomTrounced!

NCPrius, that is most definitely the best way to resolve your problems.  The manufacturer is listing Windows 7 suitable device drivers for your precise model of laptop, so using those is the ideal course of action.

(Now please excuse me whilst I try to sneak away in embarrassment!)
    Monday, November 02, 2009 5:07 AM
  • On the website I provided, it is marked as a Memory Stick Host Controller. Thus I assume it is a motherboard related device. As Ronnie mentioned, it may be a custom device so system cannot recognize it properly.

Try update drivers including motherboard related drivers to see if it can be installed.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Okay - Got it fixed thanks to your suggestions. At the Sony download site there is a file

Ricoh® Memory Card Reader/Writer Driver or Filename : RIDMSC-70165677-64.EXE. I didn't realize it but the Sony Memory Card Reader slot went dead after Windows 7 installation. This file fixed it.

As far as I know that is the only problem I had after installing W7 Professional.

Once again, thank you all for the great leads!

PS - I should add that a goodly number of the W7 updates on the Sony site for this specific laptop, while clearly marked as updates for Windows 7 actually stop installing and say "Only works with Vista."  

• Marked as answer by NCPrius Monday, November 02, 2009 6:35 PM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Ronnie the PCi modem does not find driver anywhere can you help. Here is the hardware ID's

PCI\VEN_2003&DEV_8800&SUBSYS_28001801&REV_02

PCI\VEN_2003&DEV_8800&SUBSYS_28001801

PCI\VEN_2003&DEV_8800&CC_070300

PCI\VEN_2003&DEV_8800&CC_0703

I am running windows 7 on a network running server2003, Here is the error code:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

Can not locat drivers.

Thanks

TJ

Friday, March 04, 2011 8:39 PM
  • PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9056104D&REV_12
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9056104D
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_088000
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_0880

here are my hardware IDs for the base station on my Sony Vaio VGN-NW130D laptop I can't seem to find any related drivers for this hardware any help would be great.

Michael Neuert

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:05 PM