none
Windows XP Repair Installation

Question

• First off:

I’m using a Box/Retail version of XP Pro not an OEM

The Toshiba laptop has an XP Pro Downgrade available so I know it’s not driver issues.

The previous install and the slipstream disk are both SP3 with current updates.

I know the disk works because I’ve used it on 2 other repair installs and 5 new installs

I'm at my wits end. I’ve done hundreds of windows repair installations for people. Ghosting the old drive to the new machine’s drive, running a windows repair installation to fix the drivers/boot file and voila! You have your old software on new hardware.

I’m currently doing the same thing for a company computer from an old Dell to a new Toshiba and I’m hitting my head against the wall. I ghosted the old PATA/IDE drive to the new SATA drive. All the data appears to be there when I plug the new SATA drive into my bench machine. I put the drive into the new laptop and boot from my windows XP CD, It would load all the drivers and right as it says “Windows is starting setup” I was getting a BSOD:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I had to change the Bios settings on the SATA controller from ACHI to Compatibility mode (Essentially IDE) and I was finally able to get into the setup on the XP CD, but it goes directly to the partition setup menu. It recognizes the NTFS partition that’s present and the 5GB of used space (old OS and data from the ghost image of the old hard drive). It doesn’t give me the repair console option, or the repair installation option. However, If I allow it to attempt to boot from the hard drive it gives me the “We apologize for the inconvenience, Windows did not start properly…” and gives me the options to start windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. But once again when I boot from the XP Disk it doesn’t even recognize a previous installation unless I tell it to load it without formatting it warns me that there is another windows folder there and it wants to delete the files etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. I’d hate to have to reintegrate all our corporate software (a lot of which is faulty access database software) on the new machine.

-Tyrell

Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• If you want to get rid over the 'STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)' error, you need to make some changes in the 'BIOS' setting. For that you need to select the SATA Operation from the BIOS section known as 'Drives'. Then you need to adjust it's value to 'RAID Auto/ATA'. Try this lets see 
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Seriously... Please read the whole post before commenting. That's the very next line.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Update*

By mashing the R key while setup said "setup is starting windows" I was able to get into the repair console. I ran "fixmbr" with hopes that my master boot record was some how damaged in the ghosting of the drive; but it was no use, I'm getting the same problems. I also read (not certain about the validity) that if I slipstream the chipset drivers and SATA drivers into the windows disk, set my SATA setting back to ACHI and try and boot from the new slipstreamed disk that I could boot from the windows CD and it would recognize my installation. That didn't work for me either. I downloaded the chipset drivers as well as the Intel SATA driver and had them slipstreamed into the windows disk and got the same STOP error message as before. My next step is going to be to attempt to ghost the drive again, I didn't receive any errors or hang-ups however it's still possible that something went wrong and undetected in the ghosting process. I'll update again later.

Friday, November 05, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Update*

I have Ghosted the Drive again and am running into the same problem. It's not likely that Ghost wouldn't have notified me twice of any possible problems. I decided to stick the old drive into the old laptop for kicks to make sure it wasn't some how damaged but it fires right up and works properly. Some how, something is missing between the old hard drive and the new ghosted hard drive.

Friday, November 05, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Solution*

Don't ever take anyone's word for anything. Most people are stupid. Every machine the company owns is running XP Pro except this laptop which happens to be XP Home. This explains why XP Pro couldn't find any previous installations of windows on the drive to repair. When I saw the OEM sticker on the bottom of the laptop and asked about it, they told me that it came with XP Home but they had since bought upgrades for all the computers to XP Pro. After hours of banging my head against the wall with no luck I started poking my head around the old machine that was running and discovered it was XP Home.

Much thanks to anyone who was searching for a solution for me.

-Tyrell Midland

Friday, November 05, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I've been waiting for someone to reply on a solution for your problem since you posted this question Tyrell, I myself got into a similar situation like yours, that's a few months back and until now I haven't fix my old laptop. The only solution that works for me and I'm sorry to say is actually buying a new one.
    Las Vegas Homes
    Friday, November 05, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Have you tried repairing your MBR? Have you run HDD Regenerator to check and see if there are bad boot sectors? Also, not to insult your intelligence, but have you verified the installation version on the old pc? (Dumb question I know, but as you can read, I didn't =P ) I've also had problems in the past with trying to do a repair with a disk with an older service pack on it (it's not constant, but occasional. I'm not sure why sometimes it works and others it fails) I'd recommend (if you haven't already) making a slipstream disk with SP3 and the latest updates and trying that disk.

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:05 PM