none
Windows 10 - Server Manager settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is there a way to configure the Windows 10 Server Manager?  My issue is; I would like to right-click on a manager server and use the Remote Desktop Connection function.  However, we are using a custom port and the Server Manager defaults to 3389. 

Could I at least see the Remote Desktop Connection options so I can type in the port as with running mstsc?

Can I configure Server Manager options to use a specific port other than the default?

Windows 10 ver 1607 (company policy)

Server Manager 10.0.16299.2 

Target Servers are 2008 R2 and 2012 R2

Thank you!

Friday, February 2, 2018 2:52 PM

Answers

• Well not Server Manager, but the Default.rdp file in the Documents folder can changed to default to a different port, so opening it in Notepad and entering the line;

Server Port:i:0x87B5

Changed the port it appeared to change for me. Will that do what you want?

https://www.donkz.nl/overview-rdp-file-settings/ list I settings for the rdp file.

Server port (MS link, page does not load for me in IE \ Edge but might be my build)

Syntax

server port:i:<value>

Values
    Value  Explanation

Hexadecimal value

Specifies the port to connect to on the remote computer.

The default value is 0xD3D.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Saturday, February 3, 2018 7:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by dsook Monday, February 5, 2018 1:03 PM
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 6:57 PM

All replies

• Well not Server Manager, but the Default.rdp file in the Documents folder can changed to default to a different port, so opening it in Notepad and entering the line;

Server Port:i:0x87B5

Changed the port it appeared to change for me. Will that do what you want?

https://www.donkz.nl/overview-rdp-file-settings/ list I settings for the rdp file.

Server port (MS link, page does not load for me in IE \ Edge but might be my build)

Syntax

server port:i:<value>

Values
    Value  Explanation

Hexadecimal value

Specifies the port to connect to on the remote computer.

The default value is 0xD3D.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Saturday, February 3, 2018 7:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by dsook Monday, February 5, 2018 1:03 PM
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Thank you for your time.

If I launch the Remote Desktop Connection from Server Manager, does that open the default.rdp file?  If so, this may work. 

Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Well Server Manager uses mstsc.exe so yes the Default.rdp.

Have just tested this and it worked to change the port Server Manager tried to connect. Did notice I have to enter the port in decimal in the Default.rdp file (opposite to what the doc said), putting an X in the port number setting caused mstsc to internal error for me. Did change one on my servers to listen for RDP on 4545 and did connect to that via Server Manager after I add 'server port:i:4545' to my Default.rdp.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:13 PM
  • I tried this in a lab environment and it works.  Will try this when I get to work tomorrow!  Thank you so much!

Monday, February 5, 2018 12:21 AM
  • We are looking forward to your good news:)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 5:39 AM
  • It worked--thank you Mr. Happy!
    Monday, February 5, 2018 1:03 PM