none
Windows Troubleshooter Not Working

Question

• Windows 7, clean install. I am getting the error when trying to use several of the troubleshooters: ie like the Windows Update or networking.
    "An error occured while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting."
    Any ideas on how to correct this? Is a service not started or something?
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 5:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue occur with all troubleshooters or just Windows Update and networking troubleshooter? Have you tried to launch troubleshooters from different location? You can launch troubleshooters either from Control Panel, Action Center or Related Topic in Help.  How about unchecking "Get the most up-to-date troubleshooters from the Windows Online Troubleshooting Service" and only use the local troubleshooter file? Moreover, based on my further research, please make sure there isn't any Group Policy setting blocking the launch of troubleshooters. I recommend you to check the following location in Local Group Policy Editor.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Scripted Diagnostics 

Check these settings and make sure it isn't disabled:

Troubleshooting: Allow users to access and run Troubleshooting Wizards

Troubleshooting: Allow users to access online troubleshooting content on Microsoft servers from the Troubleshooting Control Panel (via the Windows Online Troubleshooting Service - WOTS)

You may also check the related registries:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ScriptedDiagnostics!EnableDiagnostics

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ScriptedDiagnosticsProvider\Policy!EnableQueryRemoteServer

If the issue persists, I suspect that there might be corrupted files. I recommend you to perform a Startup Repair.

For references:

Built-in Troubleshooting Packs

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:29 AM
  • I get different error messages when I try to run different troubleshooters. This is one. The error code is different for different troubleshooters, but the same basic error message. In a message box.

An error occured while troubleshooting:

A problem is prventing the troubleshooter from starting.

Package ID:    MaintenanceDiagnostics
    Path:                C:\Windows\diagnostics\scheduled\Maintenance
    Error Code:    0x8E5E0408
    Source:            Engine
    User:                 T61p\Administrator
    Context:          Elevated

Monday, November 09, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Try using the windows troublshooter to find out why it doesn't work.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:04 PM
  • From the error report, I noticed that it is related to scheduled maintenance. I recommend you to turn on the computer maintenance under Troubleshooting settings. Moreover, please also check the following Group Policy setting:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Scheduled Maintenance

Make sure that you didn't disable "Configure Scheduled Maintenance Behavior".

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:02 AM
  • This was ONLY an example. ALL the troubleshooter I have tried do not work but with different error codes for each module, networking, Windows update, sound, etc. It is like troubleshooter is disabled for ALL troubleshooting and/or is not there for ANY of them. Again, the error I posted only references one module. They ALL are not working!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Try to perform a  Startup Repair.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:56 AM
  • have the same problem, all troubleshooters not working, startup repair already done, tried to move \windows\diagnostics folder and do sfc /scannow, nothing works
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Same problem - I'm trying to repair my microphone and speakers since upgrading to Windows 7.  The system tells me my Audio Service is not running.  When I go to run the trouble shooter - from control panel, from application or elsewhere I get the following:

A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.

Package ID:  AudioPlaybackDiagnostic
    Path: Unknown
    Error Code: 0x80070005
    Source: Engine
    User: Shelley-Laptop\Shelley
    Context: Elevated

I'm unable to update device drivers, and my system shows a Base System Driver error.  I conducted a startup repair - no issues found.

Not sure where to turn at this point.  I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525, Windows 7 Professional - clean install - 32bit.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Same problem for me, clean install of Windows 7, 64-bit, on DELL 1720 with new SSD, oh well, continue with Google to find answer
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:02 AM
  • We had the same issue.  To resolve it, open IE and go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

Uncheck the option - Check for server certificate revocation

If this solves your problem then it suggest your PC's are unable to check the CRL for the certificate for some reason.  Usually a proxy/firewall issue.

• Proposed as answer by Bret Gardner Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:17 PM
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 12:43 PM
  • I had the same

troubleshooting on the network -> IP conflict!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:49 PM
  • I was having the same issue on all windows 7 domain computers.  I found the section "Troubleshooting Pack Management" in this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424304(WS.10).aspx

When I tried to run the PowerShell commands:

Import-Module TroubleshootingPack

$aero = Get-TroubleshootingPack $env:SystemRoot\Diagnostics\System\Aero

Invoke-TroubleshootingPack -Pack $aero -Result C:\DiagResult -unattend

I received this:

Get-TroubleshootingPack : The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800B010E)

So in IE, tools, advanced tab in the settings section. under the security section,  I unchecked "check for publishers certificate revocation" and "check for server certificate revocation"

I re-ran the above commands and they completed successfully.

Low and behold, all of my troubleshooters are now working. No need for me to do a repair install!!!

Now for me, this only pinpoints the true problem, I cannot access the CRL Distribution point of whatever certificate is being used for w7 troubleshooting.

A few months back I moved my internal CA to a new DC (with a new name), so I suspect that there is a problem with my internal CRL. But I really don’t know for sure. Is the W7 troubleshooter(s) trying to access a public CRL and it's actually a firewall issue?

Perhaps someone knows the answer to this part of the problem?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:01 PM
  • On a computer that is currently reproducing the issue, what do you see for the State registry value?

c:\>reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing
    State REG_DWORD 0x23c00

And then if you run Rsop.msc on that machine, what IE-related policies are being pushed down to it?

And if you do a "where gp*.dll" - check the version numbers of those files, both on a Windows 7 SP1 client that is reproducing the problem AND on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller.

Because it sounds similar to this issue resolved by hotfix 982606 where the State value is not written properly, but it sounds like you are already on versions of those files that would contain the fix.

982606 The value of the "State" registry item is changed after a Group Policy preferences setting is applied in Windows Server 2008, in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982606

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Try to perform a  Startup Repair.

Best Regards
    Dale

Ok, I read your Posts Regarding Startup Repair. I Initiated that Procedure. in the Repair Window I got a Message that Stated "No Hard Disk Found, Can Not Continue", Funny as I have 3 x 1TB Hard Drives on my Computer which "seem" to be working Fine. I have a RAID Stripe on 2, and Use the 3rd for Backup.

I went Back, and Stopped Windows Update, Cleaned out the Downloads Folder, Re-Started Windows Update, and Re-Installed the Fixit Program, however my Troubleshooters (ALL) still do not function. Tried Recovery again, went back to the Earliest Check Point, didn't work.

Now What??

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:43 AM
  • How about, insteat of providing an automated respone, EXPLAIN HOW TO DO IT! How do you do a start up repair, that link gives no directions at ALL!!!!
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:04 PM
  • milew666

How about, insteat of providing an automated respone, EXPLAIN HOW TO DO IT! How do you do a start up repair, that link gives no directions at ALL!!!!

What and help us? That is against policy.

milew666

Please, these guys are reading a script, Unless they actually have a computer running at home with the same operating system and have had the same problem as we are having, there is no way they can actually provide what is needed.

A step by step procedure, so we do not lose our harddrives, settings, programs, which run in the thousands, in fact many thousands of dollars.

and customers? Gosh, one would think you figure Microsoft cares. As far as I know only God and CBS cares.

Think., do you really think Microsoft is going to have 120.00 a hour system techs answering a forum?

Use google.

Try these http://www.ehow.com/how_7247933_do-startup-repair-windows-7.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

• Edited by Meows Monday, May 07, 2012 9:22 PM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Hi guys, I found this solution on another channel.  I had this exact problem and it solved it for me.  Nothing else worked. I'm running Windows 7.

"So I think this whole problem can be narrowed down to Cryptographic Services and whether it is on or not. It is currently set to Manualstartup. Do you know if this would work permanently if it was set to Automatic? I'm going to try it anyway."

So bring up a command box, type in "services.msc" making sure you are running as administrator.  Scroll down the list that appears until you see Cryptographic Services and double click the bit where it says Manual and set it to Auto.  

Worked perfectly for me.  Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by TimLalahi Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Hi guys, I found this solution on another channel.  I had this exact problem and it solved it for me.  Nothing else worked. I'm running Windows 7.

"So I think this whole problem can be narrowed down to Cryptographic Services and whether it is on or not. It is currently set to Manualstartup. Do you know if this would work permanently if it was set to Automatic? I'm going to try it anyway."

So bring up a command box, type in "services.msc" making sure you are running as administrator.  Scroll down the list that appears until you see Cryptographic Services and double click the bit where it says Manual and set it to Auto.  

Worked perfectly for me.  Hope this helps.

Apparently sometimes you have to restart your pc and F8 it sometimes to get to this list.  But the cmd box should work fine.

• Edited by TimLalahi Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hay yall. Iam also having that problem but i get the same error code every time i try to run the TroubleShooter 0x80070057 ...I also noticed that under any of the properties i open it dont show any PREVIOUS VERSIONS any more?..  I ran sfc /scannow in cmp. it gets to 16% and says it found corrupt files but unable to fix....   And i also ran the start up repair but no luck so..    I NEED  HELP.,.,.

Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:18 PM