none
Cutomizable Start Menu when using GPO XML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a start menu + taskbar XML in my GPO. I have <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups"> stated in my XML which should allow my users to change their start menu but it seems it doesn't.

Start tiles are still not removable and all groups are still locked. My xml looks like this: 

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" StartTileGroupsColumnCount="1" />
        <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
            <start:Group Name="Office 2019">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype for Business.lnk" />
            </start:Group>
            <start:Group Name="Browsers">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" />

</defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
       <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
        <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
    <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
    <taskbar:TaskbarPinList xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout">
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook.lnk" />   
    </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
        </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
     </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

How do I make my start menu customizable for my end users while keeping my taskbar customizable 
    • Edited by MercuryZ Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By default, applying a custom Start Layout via Group Policy enforces and locks down the Start Layout which prohibits users in making any modifications.

For Enterprises that would like to provide users the ability to personalize or modify the Start Layout while only partially locking down certain groups they can update the custom Start Layout xml file to support this capability. This feature is only available in Windows 10 version 1511.

Please reference section Partial Lockdown in below link for detail configuration steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/deploymentguys/2016/03/07/windows-10-start-layout-customization/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Now I tried with Import-StartMenu in my golden image, this released Start Menu and allowed my users to change it as they see fit, but now taskbar is resetting back to default on every log off.

I just need to set a default Start Menu and Taskbar and allow my users to change them as they see fit, why is this so hard?!?!?

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

By default, applying a custom Start Layout via Group Policy enforces and locks down the Start Layout which prohibits users in making any modifications.

For Enterprises that would like to provide users the ability to personalize or modify the Start Layout while only partially locking down certain groups they can update the custom Start Layout xml file to support this capability. This feature is only available in Windows 10 version 1511.

Please reference section Partial Lockdown in below link for detail configuration steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/deploymentguys/2016/03/07/windows-10-start-layout-customization/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I saw this and did try it, if you look at my XML I have <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups"> stated as that article suggests but start menu is still locked :(

• Edited by MercuryZ Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

If using import-startlayout to configure the taskbar, the configuration will be reapplied each time the explorer.exe process restarts. Please manually re-start explorer.exe and check the result. 

If problem persists, please check Event and try to find relate event log:
    Applications and Services Log > Microsoft > Windows > ShellCommon-StartLayoutPopulation

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

If using import-startlayout to configure the taskbar, the configuration will be reapplied each time the explorer.exe process restarts. Please manually re-start explorer.exe and check the result. 

If problem persists, please check Event and try to find relate event log:
    Applications and Services Log > Microsoft > Windows > ShellCommon-StartLayoutPopulation

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Yes you are correct but I just wanted to try.

Using GPO + <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups"> should have given me what i needed but it doesn't work. I think maybe my XML syntax is incorrect, I don't really know.

But again all I want is to set a default start menu and taskbar and allow my users to change them and none of these methods seem to work.

As it stands I may resort to using copy profile, even though the PFE we had here was very clear of it not being recommended I just don't see any way to do this otherwise. Nothing else works.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Please Run winver and end with enter, then, provide me the detail information about your OS version and build number.

I will try to build a test VM to reproduce your operation.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809

• Edited by MercuryZ Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:47 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:44 AM