none
windows media player video + equalizer settings

General discussion

• I prefer to use windows media player to watch videos, because when the pc has the correct codecs, it can play all sorts of formats and wmp has some nice features like boosting the volume with the equalizer or adjusting the contrast on darker movies and can play both streaming and downloaded.

After watching plenty movies I've noticed that wmp generally remembers equalizer and srs wow effects, but video light settings are reset when playing another movie. I think the wmp would be more handy, if general settings were saveable and standard settings were chooseable (like in iexplorer). Fx. +25 contrast, some boost to sound, srs wow effect on (headphones).

But sometimes there comes a movie, fx old black/white where talk is in right ear and effects in left, which can be blended with srs wow. But you might have forgot that setting when playing a new movie, so next one just don't play 100%.

Lots of times when I watch movies I do something else besides watching movie, either I write, or use internet, or play some cards. So maybe it would be possible to also save a definition of screen area to use for wmp. Fx. in doing that fix wmp to down right corner and then max height 50% up or width 70% left, so when what ever movie is running, the width or the height will adjust to already defined dimension.

Monday, October 03, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• Those are intentionally reset.  The choice was that those shouldn't be used to correct/account for video card problems as opposed to getting updated video card drivers or fixing the persistent encoding problem.

I've been in factor of having a discrete setting to allow for that (setting persistence) myself, but was outvoted.  Sorry: that's the way it works, and it is actually deliberate.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Those are intentionally reset.  The choice was that those shouldn't be used to correct/account for video card problems as opposed to getting updated video card drivers or fixing the persistent encoding problem.

I've been in factor of having a discrete setting to allow for that (setting persistence) myself, but was outvoted.  Sorry: that's the way it works, and it is actually deliberate.

Just present the facts better. Another problem fx. when you click menus to adjust settings, the popups will appear above the player. But in an older system windows xp, the windows media player will open controls belove the movie screen. I don't think any particular coding has been done to menus in the new player's popups, because the popups are generally much larger than the controls, and it's a bit annoying, since you have to move the popup outside the moviescreen to see the effect of the controls when adjusting.

To present these problems to some ignorant, I would select a bunch of movies. Find a database with lots of movies. Fx. the french Sky Fighters will have very disturbed sounds if you do not turn off SRS wow. Find some movie with very low sound, so one would wish to adjust equalizer to overall higher db. The result of such presentation should result in that the listeners would wish that movie producers (not directors, but the ones who use fx. windows movie maker to put in on internet, that they could also save effect settings for download together with sub titles and movie file or that wmp would remember where on screen the movie was played and with what settings, so seing it twice would not require resetting of all effects, etc.. Just present a lot of movies with problems and make listeners watch first 5-10 mins. And do the whole list twice, so they have to reset ....

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:35 PM