none
Acrobat 9 Pro advanced editing tools causing instability

Question

• Currently running Windows 7 x64, build 7100 (RC).

We have a number of Acrobat based documents which are fillable forms.  What I've found is that attempts to modify these forms inside of Acrobat (v9.1.2) always leads to system instability which requires a forced system restart (symptoms include: mouse cursor turning into an 8-bit exploded rainbow, new applications will not launch, the system will not shut down on it's own, etc.).

This only happens when I attempt to use the tools located on the "Advanced Editing" toolbar, such as the "TouchUp Object" tool to modify form elements.  The symptoms usually start to present within just a few mouse clicks of the mentioned tools.  These same forms did not present any issues when I was using Vista x64.

All my other Adobe applications seem to be working as expected thus far.  I'm wondering if this is a one-off case, or if I should pursue other channels such as Adobe's support.

Thanks,

Brian
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:40 PM

All replies

• Currently running Windows 7 x64, build 7100 (RC).

We have a number of Acrobat based documents which are fillable forms.  What I've found is that attempts to modify these forms inside of Acrobat (v9.1.2) always leads to system instability which requires a forced system restart (symptoms include: mouse cursor turning into an 8-bit exploded rainbow, new applications will not launch, the system will not shut down on it's own, etc.).

This only happens when I attempt to use the tools located on the "Advanced Editing" toolbar, such as the "TouchUp Object" tool to modify form elements.  The symptoms usually start to present within just a few mouse clicks of the mentioned tools.  These same forms did not present any issues when I was using Vista x64.

All my other Adobe applications seem to be working as expected thus far.  I'm wondering if this is a one-off case, or if I should pursue other channels such as Adobe's support.

Thanks,

Brian

FWIW, I can tell suggest from past and present experience that you'll really need to go to Adobe about this one - I doubt there is much Microsoft can do.  There are actually issues in all of the Adobe apps I use (Acrobat, PS CS4, Illustrator, and LR 2.4).  Most are minor (with the exception of a pretty serious memory leak in LR 2.4) but all really seem to be related to the apps not yet being updated for Windows 7 compatibility.  Be warned though that if you contact Adobe, they will likley tell you, as they have others, that Windows 7 is not a supported OS and/or they will address things when it goes RTM.     You could also try running the app with Vista or XP compatibility checked, or try running the compatibility troubleshooter, but I have generally found that Adobe programming is just different enough things only get (definitively) resolved when they put out a patch.  Not a lot of help - sorry....

Stephen
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:27 PM