none
repairing or reinstalling WMP 12 to fix repeated "Windows Media player stopped working"

Question

• Since I have installed Windows 7 I regularly get the "Windows Media player stopped working". It happens on different circumstances and I cannot find a singular set of events that I can connect to those crashes. It sometimes happens out of the blue when:

1) WMP is just open in the background while I am doing something else in Outlook or another MS-Office application

2) I click on a link during a Powerpoint presentation to watch a video. After watching several videos (all launched via links in Powerpoint), I sometimes notice when I click on ALT+TAB that there are several WMP icons (up to 4) in the selection windows that pops up.

3) I connect my PDA for synchronisation

These crashes sometimes happen and sometimes not. Since I never had this problem with WMP 10 or 11 under Vista,, there is a clear problem with WMP 12. 

To verify if WMP 12 did not install properly or got corrupted, is there a way to repair or reinstall WMP 12?

Alternatively, if WMP 12 cannot be fixed is there a way to launch videos from a PowerPoint presentation in another reader (i.e. VLC)?

Because I am a professor and keynote speaker in many public events, I cannot afford anymore the WMP12 crashing during my lectures. I hope that someone can help me fix this serious problem as soon as possible. Thank you !

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:57 PM

All replies

• Yes, there is:
    * Go to "Turn Windows Features On or Off"
    * Turn Media Features:Windows Media Player off
    * Reboot
    * Turn Media Features:Windows Media Player on again
    Voila! :)

Now: that would be unlikely to solve the problem, since the system is designed to be relatively resilient against that sort of corruption.  So probably the more interesting question is: what are the fault details for that crash?  You can find those by going to the Start Menu and entering "View all problem reports" as your search term.  Open that application: what are the crash results for the player?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Thank you
    I only noticed your answer yesterday because no notification had been sent to me.

your solution unfortunately did not fix the problem. WMP crashed again a few minutes ago after I plugged in my PDA to the USB for synchronisation (using Windows Mobile Device Center)

Below you can see what the View all problems report shows for this instance

does it help?

Best regards 
    Raphael

Source

Windows Media Player

Summary

Stopped working

Date

29.07.2009 20:43

Status

More data required

Description

Problem signature

Files that help describe the problem

WERInternalMetadata.xml

AppCompat.txt

memory.hdmp

minidump.mdmp

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: wmplayer.exe

Application Version: 12.0.7100.0

Application Timestamp: 49ee97f5

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 0d23d090

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 4108

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:55 PM
  • try using the K-Lite mega codec pack. it runs well on 7 without any known issues. as WMP12 has some glitches while playing videos on my pc, but works ok with audio.

though i recommend to associate file extensions with windows media player, but just select "Media Player Classic" where it shows "associate files with" and it will set Media Player Classic as the default player for media files, if windows media player 12 doesn't work for you, prior to continuing installation of the K-Lite mega codec pack.

link for Mega Codec Pack:
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

oh and btw, this also contains the essential audio and video codecs for certain video and audio files.

alternatively, try to uninstall WMP 12 and try to downgrade to WMP 11 on vista compatibility mode.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Thank you
    I have in the meantime changed computer. I just finished reinstalling everything and , with some luck (I can use some!), hope that the problem will not happen again.
    If it does I will certainly implement your recommendations and will let you know

Monday, August 3, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I'm getting the "Windows Media Player stopped working" message every time I pause WMP while playing a movie.  It's consistent...as in: every time.   As long as it is playing, there doesn't seem to be any problem.  But if I pause it for more than 30-60 seconds it errors out.  When I restart WMP it restarts at the beginning of the movie instead of resuming.

Is there a fix for this?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Are all of these movies using the same codec? Have you installed any codec packs?  If you have and unless it was shark's pack I would uninstall it and give these a shot, they only add codecs/spliters that aren't in Win 7 and don't try to take over the in box ones. http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:16 PM
  • @bherber: What are the fault details for that crash according to Event Viewer?

Monday, August 31, 2009 8:31 PM
  • @bherber: What are the fault details for that crash according to Event Viewer?

"
    Faulting application name: wmplayer.exe, version 12.0.7100.0, time stamp: 0x49ee97f5
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005

Log Name: Application
    Source:     Application error
    Event ID:  1000
    Level:       Error
    User:        N/A
    OpCode:  
    Logged:    8/29/2009 2:04:07PM
    Task Category:  (100)
    Keywords:  Classic
    Computer:  <my computer name>

-------------------

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers]  0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2009-08-29T20:04:07.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5455

Channel Application

Computer <my computer name>

Security

- EventData

wmplayer.exe
       49ee97f5
       unknown
       c0000005
       1211a710
       8dc
       01ca28dfc678fb7b
       C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
       unknown
       1b74c95f-94d7-11de-a543-00235a2501d0
    -------------------------

Hope that helps....

BH
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:01 PM
  • The fact that it's in "unknown" makes it hard to decipher.  But that is the pre-release Release Candidate version.  I would recommend a) updating the video card driver and b) updating to the actual release when it comes out.  If it happens again on the 7600 / RTM / release version, post up details then.  :)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 10:15 PM
  • It's a brand-new HP Laptop DV7-1285dx, and according to both Windows Update and HP, I have the latest video drivers.   I guess I'll wait for the final version.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 10:26 PM
  • I have tried this and it did not solve the problem, is ther any other fix?
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:56 AM
  • dbrig, what exactly is your problem?

If Windows says that a program has stopped working, then that actually means that the program has crashed. Please post the technical details of the crash here. Open the Start menu, type event in the Search box, and click Event Viewer .

In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application , and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your post.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, December 17, 2010 3:04 PM