none
Audio stopped working

Question

• I installed Windows 7 RC one month back and using it without any problems so far.  I didn't install any 3rd Party Driver; everything was provided by Windows 7 inbuilt and through Windows Updates online.  Audio was working fine so far.  I am using 2.1 Creative Speakers and sometimes Philips headphone.

Today, when I switched from Headphone to Creative Speaker's, my Audio in Windows 7 stopped working.  I noticed that by default the Playback Device is set to Digital Audio (S/PDIF).  The Speakers are disabled now and I am unable to hear the audio.  The inbuilt troubleshooting wizard is also not able to find the problem for me.

Link to the screenshot of my Playback devices screen:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ljFCV9Nus4T_fV0rYmn4OQ?feat=directlink

Has anyone faced this problem before.  Please assist in troubleshooting.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Since everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please Go to the “Playback Device” window, right-click on the box listing the current devices, select Show Disabled Devices and see if the item “Speakers” will appear. If it appears, please enable it and set it as Default Device.

2.    Go to Device Manager, remove the Audio card driver, reboot the computer and install its driver again.

If the issue persists, please also let us know the model of this audio card.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Since everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please Go to the “Playback Device” window, right-click on the box listing the current devices, select Show Disabled Devices and see if the item “Speakers” will appear. If it appears, please enable it and set it as Default Device.

2.    Go to Device Manager, remove the Audio card driver, reboot the computer and install its driver again.

If the issue persists, please also let us know the model of this audio card.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:07 AM
  • This same thing occurred for me today after running the RC of Windows 7 for about 2 months.  Audio was working great with the MS drivers and I had recently installed a 2.1 speaker setup.  The system taskbar showed Digital S/PDIF out which had not been there before;  both headphone jacks and the jack on the back of the PC no longer outputted audio.  I simply removed the current driver from the device manager as Im not using Toslink or digital audio outputs on my setup and let Windows re-detect my audio hardware.  The taskbar showed the correct settings and my audio was restored.  Im curious to see if many others report this issue.  All in All I've been very impressed with Windows 7 on my modest test sytem build. 
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:32 PM