Lock Screen Background - Change via GPO or Powershell?

Question

• I am setting up a Windows 8 test environment for work, and want to change the lock screen background to show a corporate background. I can and have done this already for wallpapers, but while I can see a setting to prevent it from being changed, I can't see a setting to set it to a specific one. I've looked for a GPO setting, but have also tried to look for a Powershell command or script but can't seem to find anything related, and keep getting Windows 7 ones instead. Unless the same method works for 8 (Setting OEMBackground in the registry to 1) I can't find any information on how to do this. Ideally, as a school, I'd like to set this centralized as our wallpapers are regularly updated to show events happening around the school.

Any thoughts on possibility?

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you're OK with getting your hands dirty, we've made a bit of progress in this thread.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:11 PM
  • MS released a hotfix/update to allow other wallpapers:

Win8: How to Manage the Lock Screen Image on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2787100/en-us

The update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” adds functionality to the Control Panel group polices that allow an administrator to designate a lock screen image on their Windows 8 and Windows 2012 computers. This setting lets you specify the default lock screen image shown when no user is signed in, and also sets the specified images as the default for all users (it replaces the inbox default image).

The new group policy is named “Force a specific default lock screen image” and can be found in this path in the group policy editor: “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:45 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• We too use the Logon/lock screen with the OEMBackground registry key in Windows 7.  Windows 8 does not support this and I haven't found a way to do a similar thing in Windows 8.

We would like to set a custom background for BOTH the "Lock" screen and the "Logon" screen in Windows 8 in our clone images and not allow the user to change it.  (We'd also like to set a custom background for the Metro Interface too.)  At this point, none of these things appear possible to do in Windows 8 anymore.

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:23 PM
  • It appears the registry location for the lock screen is located here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen

As to why MSFT chose to obfuscate the path and file name is beyond me. What you probably could do is use a test system and set the lock screen to your chosen image, export out the reg keys and import them on your other machines. Then you can use GPO to lock users from changing.

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for the info Darien.  I'll have to test that key and see what happens.

I too am completely confused why the filename/path is a bunch of hex codes.  Perhaps they are trying to store more than just the filename/path?  Regardless, it's totally unnecessary and useless in my opinion.  Why this can't be something simple to deal with is beyond frustrating and only furthers my negative "first impression" of Windows 8 the more I try to work with what should be simple tasks.

EDIT: I took a quick look at this registry key and intially the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen did not exist.  So I changed the lock screen under the Settings - Change PC Settings - Lock Screen area.  I set it to one of the other 5 images available to use.  ("img102.jpg")  The "\Lock Screen" registry key then became available, however there are no values in this key.  I logged off and also rebooted, but this key remains empty of values.  However, the lock screen has been changed to use 'img102.jpg'.  (I think perhaps I'm missing something on this!)

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

No official method is available now.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:03 AM
  • Hi Niki.  It's not the answer I was hoping for as we really want to be able to 'brand' our computers using a custom background for both the Lock Screen AND the Logon Screen.  And for that matter, we "REALLY" would like to use a custom background for the Metro Interface.  It seems Windows 8 just isn't all that customizable.

But thank you for the answer. Hopefully Microsoft will add & document these abilities in the final release.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

If you're OK with getting your hands dirty, we've made a bit of progress in this thread.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

as you already success to change the wallpapers, can you please help me on this issue. currently we are using win 7 and the corporate wallpaper is deployed through GPO. now we have plan to switch on win 8. How can i deploy the wallpaper through GPO?

Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Hi Mr. DarienHawk67

I cant find this reg key. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen

i want to change lock screen background on XP SP3. can u help me about this issue.

• Edited by biplob9s Monday, April 22, 2013 6:49 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 6:47 AM
  • hi

any update on this? I am also trying to apply custom lock screen for XP.

regards

Mannan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:08 AM
  • MS released a hotfix/update to allow other wallpapers:

Win8: How to Manage the Lock Screen Image on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2787100/en-us

The update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” adds functionality to the Control Panel group polices that allow an administrator to designate a lock screen image on their Windows 8 and Windows 2012 computers. This setting lets you specify the default lock screen image shown when no user is signed in, and also sets the specified images as the default for all users (it replaces the inbox default image).

The new group policy is named “Force a specific default lock screen image” and can be found in this path in the group policy editor: “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:45 AM
    Answerer