none
deploy software via GPO wich require admin right RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I would like to deploy a program via GPO wich require admin right. I setting user policy, Software distribution\ and makeing the package Published (thats the ideal, tried assigned too). I am using UNC path at the package. The user (with no admin right) can access the share, and see in control panel\install from network location the new program. But still can not install, 'admin priviliges needed' error. 

I even enabled the following gpo:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Installer \ "Always install with elevated privileges"

In the group AND computer policy too. Still no luck, restarted, forced gpo update a hundred times. 

Server: Win Server 2016 Standard Client: Win 10 pro x64

Problem is same as here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1aecdac4-c274-4d14-85ea-432a9674f70d/pushing-out-software-that-quotrequiresquot-admin-rights?forum=winservergen

Still none of here suggested working for me.

One more interesting thig: If i choose assign, the available program icons do not appear in desktop or start menu ( or i miss understanding something source : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc783635(v=ws.10) ). I do not choose install at logon, i would like to instal on demand.

Any help would be welcome. We do not have SCCM and i do not like to use intune. I know this is maybe the worst option, but i very like to make this work.

Thank you

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try the following script:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/154882-admin-script-install

To use Runas tool, I suggest to you to create a new user with local administrators group on these machines, then use it in the script above.

Don't forgot that the deployment with GPO will be run on each start of the machine (If you are using a startup script).

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

_______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Friday, July 19, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Hi!

Tank you for your fast reply, but this is like a workaround and the main feature the "install on deamand" will be lost. I would like to solve the GPO question.

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:21 AM
  • I don't think if the GPO method will install the setup with admin privileges, because the script install is executed with the user privileges dos not have permission to install application.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 9:33 AM
  • This topic says "Your understanding is NOT correct. When Group Policy is used to distribute (Software is either ASSIGNED or PUBLISHED through GPO) software's/applications, Users don't need to have admin access on the local machines. " Or am i missunderstanding something?
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:01 PM
  • This topic says "Your understanding is NOT correct. When Group Policy is used to distribute (Software is either ASSIGNED or PUBLISHED through GPO) software's/applications, Users don't need to have admin access on the local machines. " Or am i missunderstanding something?

In the topic, the GPO are assigned and applied into a Computer not User, It's not the same context.

You can try to deploy the GPO on OU with some test computers and let us know for the result.

Check also the event viewer if there are any error.

Remember to restart the machine to apply the new Computer Group Policy.

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi!

Sorry for long time update I have been very busy. I tried the GPO in computer policy. It is working! Fatastic! But with this type of install it looses the "on demand" feature. I mean that how can the user choose wich program to install, not force pushed by me.

The scenario: there are multiple programs i would like to be available for the users. But for all users I do not need to install all the available programs, jut what they like, or need. How can they choose what they want to install? Is this possible to get a solution for this?

• Edited by petersonal Friday, July 26, 2019 7:22 AM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 7:00 AM
  • There are a solution with SCCM or Intune tools, you can create a Software Center and publish the desired applications on it.

With GPO, you can't do this.

Friday, July 26, 2019 10:50 AM
  • Hi,
    I agree with SAAD.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 29, 2019 10:37 AM