none
Windows 7 update to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! My PC have Windows 7. I also received "Get windows 10" in 2006 but then it found that my system cannot have W10. I do not remember why. Does it mean that I need a new PC. How can find out what was the reason why I cannot have W10 on my PC.

thank you!

Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A windows 7 machine can, still, be Upgraded to Windows 10 and should be without further delay.  Anyone on 7 & or 8 is strongly urged to switch to Windows 10, the sooner the better. And, no, that does not necessarily demand a new machine.  Usually a Win 7/8 machine will run Windows 10. A machine can be analyzed for its support of Win 10 to know, before-hand, whether can upgrade or need to replace. This 'tool' can be found by going to Get Windows 10.

2ndly, The Media Creation Tool (MCT) can be used to do the upgrade.  It can be found HERE.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zvirbulis Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:21 AM
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Zvirbulis.

The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 has expired on April 2016.
    If you want to install and use Windows 10 on your PC, you have to buy a new Retail license of Windows 10 (provided that your PC can support that Windows version) and perform either an upgrade installation or a clean installation.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:25 PM
  • Hello Zvirbulis, 

If you like, you could try using the Media Creation Tool to try and upgrade to Windows 10 using the method in the tutorial below to see what it reports if it will not let you.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139745-upgrade-windows-10-windows-7-free.html

Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

A windows 7 machine can, still, be Upgraded to Windows 10 and should be without further delay.  Anyone on 7 & or 8 is strongly urged to switch to Windows 10, the sooner the better. And, no, that does not necessarily demand a new machine.  Usually a Win 7/8 machine will run Windows 10. A machine can be analyzed for its support of Win 10 to know, before-hand, whether can upgrade or need to replace. This 'tool' can be found by going to Get Windows 10.

2ndly, The Media Creation Tool (MCT) can be used to do the upgrade.  It can be found HERE.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zvirbulis Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:21 AM
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Hi, 

Please check the hardware requirement for installing win 10. 

If you want to know more information related to Win10, please refer to the this link.

How to Find Windows 10 Computer Specifications & System Requirements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/windows-10-specifications

Best regards. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Thank you for answer. I understand that I can still upgrade to Win 10 using MCT and it is for free. Correct? I will try it!

P.S. Tool "get windows 10" only recommends to buy a new PC (I try to choose different answers) so I think it is useless

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thank you for answer. I understand that I can still upgrade to Win 10 using MCT and it is for free. Correct? I will try it!

P.S. Tool "get windows 10" only recommends to buy a new PC (I try to choose different answers) so I think it is useless

Correct. Currently you can still use MCT to upgrade from a legally activated Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139745-upgrade-windows-10-windows-7-free.html

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:17 PM
  • Yes.  This is due to ones existing ownership of a valid license.  And, honestly, due to an enthusiasm for having End Users off pre-10 OSs & on Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Drew

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:05 PM
  • I tried to upgrade and it said "This device isn`t compatible in windows 10. NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS". What should I do?
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:49 PM
  • I'm afraid the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS is not supported by Windows 10 for drivers indicated by NVIDIA below.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

You will need to upgrade your video card first to one that is supported by Windows 10, then you should be able to upgrade.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:07 PM
  • I tried to upgrade and it said "This device isn`t compatible in windows 10. NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS". What should I do?

You've to verify that you system is compliant with the Windows 10 requirements before trying to install Windows 10 or to upgrade from a previous version.
    If you search for Windows 10 drivers at https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx you can see that your video card is not included in the list, therefore it is not supported by Windows 10: you have to replace the video card before trying to install Windows 10.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Well, that's 2 people telling him the same valid thing. A 3rd would be unnecessary, although, I could.

Zvirbulis, it's a judgement call, it's your call... But, IF, you are content (for future, too) w/ everything else about your present computer, a new vid card is much less costly than a whole new computer.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:39 AM