none
Windows Live OneCare

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 was designed to be compatible with the software that was designed for Vista. In theory, every program that worked on Vista should work on Windows 7 as well. I haven't tried installing One Care, but it should work.

If it doesn't, be sure to let us know!

Victor Constantinescu - MVP Security, MCTS
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:52 AM
  • I can't test it as I'm from Poland :/ Personally I use free edition from AVG.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I've only just gotten around to upgrading a machine with Vista SP1 and OneCare installed to Windows 7. On boot up OneCare shuts down, when trying to manually start OnceCare an incompatibilty window appears. I might try a clean install then install OneCare afterwards tomorrow, but I have a feeling it still won't work.
    Matt
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:22 PM
  • YounGun said:

Hi,

Windows 7 was designed to be compatible with the software that was designed for Vista. In theory, every program that worked on Vista should work on Windows 7 as well. I haven't tried installing One Care, but it should work.

If it doesn't, be sure to let us know!

Victor Constantinescu - MVP Security, MCTS

I tried to install my onecare yesterday. It said that it would not install in that operating system. I had to install AVG to have some protection

Would love to get one care back on track

Mark
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:22 PM

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Thanks, I thought I had read something about that, shame as I kinda like OneCare. I've downloaded the  Kaspersky and Norton Beta's, but will probably use Kaspersky as in the past I have found Norton to be quite a hog.
    Matt 
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

I also tried in vain to install OneCare2 for which I have a subscription until the arrival of Morro !

I do not intend to buy any other Antivirus application.

This means that I am running Windows 7 without Antivirus.

MS should do something about the compatibility between OneCare2 & Windows 7 even if it is only for some months.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I agree, I also will not waste money on another antivirus.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi,
         AVG free works for AV & for spyware, Spyware blaster & Anti-Malware. At least temporarily,you can have your system protected.

Monday, January 19, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Geo - Windows 7 said:

Hi,

I also tried in vain to install OneCare2 for which I have a subscription until the arrival of Morro !

I do not intend to buy any other Antivirus application.

This means that I am running Windows 7 without Antivirus.

MS should do something about the compatibility between OneCare2 & Windows 7 even if it is only for some months.

Exactly - I just paid for another year. Either they (microsoft) should make LiveOneCare work with Win 7 or give me my money back.  I notice the anti virus firewall programs that work with 7 also work with XP and Vista. Meaning if I paid for a three machine package like the one I just bought from Microsoft I'd be covered. Basically for the same money I just gave microsoft.

Personally I don't see how they can have a product that does not work with another one of their products. It is baffeling to me.
    Computer User
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:33 PM
  • It is very ironic that every application/software that I have installed (made by many manufacturers) works perfectly except One Care (made by Microsoft), this really should be fixed. Then again, there is no version of internet explorer that has worked perfectly on any version of Windows so I guess we cant expect to do any better in the antivirus arena!
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:54 AM
  • I am in the same situation.. I paid Microsoft for OneCare which I had on the computer I just upgraded to Windows 7 Beta. Frankly it never even occurred to me that Microsoft would force me to stop using their own product and find the capability elsewhere.

I have seen posts elsewhere about faking OneCare into thinking it is running on Vista and it apparently then works. If that is really the case then Microsoft made a conscious decision in this regard, it's not that OneCare couldn't run on Windows 7, it's that they won't let it.

I don't want to speculate on theories about this though. MS, since you are monitoring this forum, could you please give us definitive word on this?

1) Do you plan to support OneCare at least for the Windows 7 beta period?

2) If not, would you be kind enough to tell us why not?

thanks.

Jim O

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:10 AM
  • does any one know any anti virus-spy-spam ware that i could buy that is compatible with windows 7?
    Monday, March 09, 2009 12:48 AM
  • I'm getting an "Incompatible" error when I try to install Live OneCare. How could MS not make LOC available on Win7, even though it's not the final product. Are we to change to another provider?
    Monday, June 01, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Add me to the OneCare mix, I just paid for a another year and had two other folks purchase it...

I know that win 7 comes with defender and I have installed AGV BUT onecare should have been fixed BEFORE release of RC1

onecare is just a smoother program than the others out there.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 10:57 PM
  • I'm getting an "Incompatible" error when I try to install Live OneCare. How could MS not make LOC available on Win7, even though it's not the final product. Are we to change to another provider?

I think the more appropriate question would be why should Microsoft put out a version of OneCare compatible with a developmental OS when they announced OneCare was being discontinued last November?  Your use of the RC is entirely voluntary - it is not a forced upgrade or SP.  It really is up to you (like the rest of us) to find a working security program.  There are lots out there and a few are free.  There really have been no promises (implied or explicit) to suggest they would ever put out a Windows 7 version.  Actually, the reverse is true.  A new (free) program is also under development to replace OneCare. Spending time and money to develop a Windows 7 RC compatible version of OneCare when it will then not be supported in the RTM is really just not logical.  Sorry, but in this case it is something for users to resolve, rather than Microsoft....

Stephen

• Proposed as answer by 7supporter Thursday, June 04, 2009 3:34 PM
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:04 PM