Remote Computer Freezes After Remote Desktop Connection (Needs hardware reboot) RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure which section this goes under so I put it in MISC.

My issue is that when a user remote desktops (through VPN if that matters) into their work PC, their computer will have a black screen which is frozen and needs to click the reset button on the computer.

They say it happens most of the time (ex. 4/5 times).

Kyle

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:10 PM

Answers

• I didn't mention that the user had two monitors.

Solution:

- Switch the primary monitor in the Windows by Right-Click Desktop --> Screen Resolution.
    - Select other monitor and click the checkbox Make this my main display.
    - Physically switch the two monitors (Optional - Keeps the location of default monitor)

Kyle

• Marked as answer by l33man24 Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 PM

All replies

• Are there any traces in Event log?

Description of VPN may help to find someone who encountered this behaviour.

Rgds

Milos

Monday, September 17, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

Can you provide more details about what’s the kinds of your VPN? Cisco or others?

You can try to connect to the server by the IP address and not the computer name for check.

Also I found a very similar case such like yours. More information please refer to the link below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/64851-black-screen-login-after-remote-desktop-sessions.html

Hope this helps.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:05 AM
  • This issue recently started to occur in our organization - both on Windows 7 clients and Windows Server 2008 R2 servers.

Ideas?

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:00 PM
  • 1. When the problem occurs, RDP client hangs or server hangs?

2. If the problem happesn suddenly on many machines, did you update any driver/application recently? If yes, roll back it and check if the problem persists.

3. Check if the problem occurs without VPN. If not, please contact the VPN verndor to see if they received similiar reports.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:21 AM
  • 1. When the problem occurs, RDP client hangs or server hangs?

2. If the problem happesn suddenly on many machines, did you update any driver/application recently? If yes, roll back it and check if the problem persists.

3. Check if the problem occurs without VPN. If not, please contact the VPN verndor to see if they received similiar reports.

1. It is the RDC server that hangs.

2. Problem isolated with this one machine. Only updates would be Windows Updates, and possibly applications. Any updates would have been also updated on other machines.

3. With or without VPN.

Kyle

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:14 PM
  • So, the current problem is, When you connect to a computer via RDP from any clients, the computer (RDP server) will hang. The problem only occurs on one RDP server. Right?

In light of this, we should focus on the specific RDP server.

- What OS version is the RDP server? Windows 7 or others?

- Please update the display card driver to see if the issue will be gone.

- Have a quick test to see if the issue occurs on a clean boot of the RDP server.

-- On the RDP server, run msconfig.
    -- Click Services, check Hide all Microsoft services.
    -- Click Disable all.
    -- Click Startup tab.
    -- Click Disable all.
    --Click Apply and restart the system.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:04 AM
  • So, the current problem is, When you connect to a computer via RDP from any clients, the computer (RDP server) will hang. The problem only occurs on one RDP server. Right?

In light of this, we should focus on the specific RDP server.

- What OS version is the RDP server? Windows 7 or others?

- Please update the display card driver to see if the issue will be gone.

- Have a quick test to see if the issue occurs on a clean boot of the RDP server.

-- On the RDP server, run msconfig.
    -- Click Services, check Hide all Microsoft services.
    -- Click Disable all.
    -- Click Startup tab.
    -- Click Disable all.
    --Click Apply and restart the system.

Not sure if I mentioned, this is a users computer (not mine). It seems that it may be a configuration problem or another problem on his end (client). I used a computer to RDC in (on the network), and then VPN (into the network), and both worked without error.

I read some possible fixes for that such as: Lock/logout before you close RDC.

Kyle

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:14 PM
  • I didn't mention that the user had two monitors.

Solution:

- Switch the primary monitor in the Windows by Right-Click Desktop --> Screen Resolution.
    - Select other monitor and click the checkbox Make this my main display.
    - Physically switch the two monitors (Optional - Keeps the location of default monitor)

Kyle

• Marked as answer by l33man24 Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 PM