none
Event Log Online Help link now sends me to the Microsoft Official Website Page. RRS feed

• Question

• I am investigating multiple Event Log entries after a fresh install and update.

These errors are all in the Administrative section and are classed as Errors.  Not Critical Errors, Warnings or Information.  None of the errors are show stoppers, some may even be benign for all I know.  I just get annoyed when I'm conducting faultfinding (British Term) procedures and I click on a link to get further information about a fault, Microsoft sends me to a page asking me to check out their latest Xbox.  I don't even have or use an Xbox.  The  link used to either provide me with more information about the Event Log entry or else tell me that no information could be found - both of which are far more useful than "Buy an Xbox advert.

I get this problem with Edge and Explorer with the default search engine set to Bing or Google.  The initially link pasted in the browser looks OK but then changes to the address of Microsoft's official homepage. 
    Monday, June 20, 2016 4:03 PM

Answers

• Just to say the Administrative Events are a compilation of all the other components in the Event Viewer, so perhaps look in the other logs to put the errors in some context.

But yes that help link goes to MS homepage currently an add for the Xbox One S, previously been Office 365 etc etc. Interesting as it states the information it will send then does not appear to use it. I have tried the help on some non error 'well known' events and still just the MS homepage. The online help is the way forwards for Windows 10, but appears to need some work at this point.

Search Feedback for Event help and see this has been reported, so perhaps add your vote to those.

Beyond the that, well got 363 entries in the my Administrative Events log, this build was installed 3 days ago. Nothing really wrong so I don't tend to look in Event Viewer...

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Well Venutius,

Thanks for the feedback.

for the event analyzing, please take a try with the Events and Errors Message Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx

That should be helpful.

At the early time, the online help link would show you the information under technet library with Page Not found.

Now this behavior seems to be changed.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:28 AM

All replies

• Just to say the Administrative Events are a compilation of all the other components in the Event Viewer, so perhaps look in the other logs to put the errors in some context.

But yes that help link goes to MS homepage currently an add for the Xbox One S, previously been Office 365 etc etc. Interesting as it states the information it will send then does not appear to use it. I have tried the help on some non error 'well known' events and still just the MS homepage. The online help is the way forwards for Windows 10, but appears to need some work at this point.

Search Feedback for Event help and see this has been reported, so perhaps add your vote to those.

Beyond the that, well got 363 entries in the my Administrative Events log, this build was installed 3 days ago. Nothing really wrong so I don't tend to look in Event Viewer...

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Well Venutius,

Thanks for the feedback.

for the event analyzing, please take a try with the Events and Errors Message Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx

That should be helpful.

At the early time, the online help link would show you the information under technet library with Page Not found.

Now this behavior seems to be changed.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:28 AM
  • I'm having a problem where I'm also brought to MS's home page.  @ tnmff@microsoft.com.  The page for the link you provided "cannot be found"
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:20 AM
  • The page for the link you provided "cannot be found"

Google shows that that one is ancient--over 10 years old!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/matthewms/2006/01/18/having-trouble-finding-information-on-microsoft-event-ids/

However, I vaguely remember having found a workaround for the OP's problem symptoms some time ago...  which I can't find.  However, while searching for that I did find a workaround which I think is alarming that I am not going to disclose here!  It is easy to find though, so if you find it, caveat emptor!  I think it is a sufficient security exposure that something should be done about fixing the broken functionality to stop people from thinking it is necessary to modify their systems to use such a workaround.

So, let's discuss an example (again).  Here's what gets generated by clicking on Event Log Online Help  (e.g. as captured when using Fiddler)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp?ProdName=Microsoft%c2%ae+Windows%c2%ae+Operating+System&ProdVer=10.0.14393.447&EvtID=2&EvtSrc=Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing&LCID=1033

Clearly the problem is that that go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp is not being given an appropriate cue for continuing its quest to get redirected to the right server.  There are multiple redirects given while it flails around trying to find something appropriate but obviously it eventually gives up and WYSIWYG.

Now what I (again vaguely) remember finding the last time was the proper server to go to which would bypass all that broken go.microsoft.com/fwlink machinery.  Unfortunately, I can't recall how I would have found it.  But it was definitely not the override you may find being touted now.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:35 PM
  • Here's some more broken functionality in the same area--the new improved one

TechNet Support   Lookup Events and Errors

The issue here is that the search finds something that would be appropriate but none of the links work.  A possible reason may be that they are all HTTP but even when I re-prefix them with HTTPS they still give a 404 for the first response.  Also, it is putting a trailing slash on the links.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:34 PM
  • Came across this entry when an Event Viewer "Event Log Online Help" link for a Hyper-V-VMMS error redirected me to the MS homepage. The above "ee_advanced" link no longer works.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:43 PM
  • an Event Viewer "Event Log Online Help" link for a Hyper-V-VMMS error

Perhaps we could use the TechNet Support Resource Search tool with a specific example?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/search/en-US?query=Hyper-V-VMMS%20error

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, September 14, 2018 3:40 PM