none
User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Question

• I have literally tried every solution found online and NOTHING seems to work.  Our environment, Windows server 2008 domain controller, Windows 7 Pro x64 bit PC's.  Trying to login as a domain user and get the error " User Profile Service failed the logon.  User profile cannot be loaded".  I can only login with the domain Administrator account, or the local administrator account.  We are NOT using Roaming profiles.  The application event logs do have event error 1500 and event warning 1509.... see screenshot below.

What I have tried:

Microsoft FixIT 50446

Tried editing the SID's out of the registry manually per KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Deleted all domain user profiles from machine

Removed PC from domain and rejoined

Deleted user account from Active Directory and recreated

Verified GPO was not configured to "allow users to logon with temporary profiles"

SFC /scannow

Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro

Live Essentials was never installed (some forums referred to the .sqm file fron event ID 1509 possible relating to an issue with Live Essentials)

Google update was never installed (remember seeing it referred to in a forum as well)

I am now out of ideas..  This has been an ongoing issue for about a month and I am finally admitting defeat.  This is my last effort to get help before breaking down and paying the $259 to Microsoft to help resolve it.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,

Phillip

Monday, November 07, 2011 11:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Phillip,

I would like to verify whether the issue only occurs on special Windows 7 computer or on all Windows 7 computers.

I suggest checking the permission of the user profile folders and Default folder. Make sure the users has full control of their profile folders.

Meanwhile, ensure the users are the owner of the C:\Users\theirname\NTUSER.dat. Also, please put NTUSER.dat in the security software exclusion list for testing.

Please also post in Server Forum to get more assistance.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Phillip,

I would like to verify whether the issue only occurs on special Windows 7 computer or on all Windows 7 computers.

I suggest checking the permission of the user profile folders and Default folder. Make sure the users has full control of their profile folders.

Meanwhile, ensure the users are the owner of the C:\Users\theirname\NTUSER.dat. Also, please put NTUSER.dat in the security software exclusion list for testing.

Please also post in Server Forum to get more assistance.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:16 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue with every Windows 7 machine.  I too, have tried all the same steps as Phillip to no avail.  This is a serious issue within Microsoft OS. 
    Clearly by the forums, millions are having the same issue.  Surely Microsoft would take notice that they've made it impossible to add users to computers. 

Niki, I'll try the steps you suggested and let you know the outcome.

Donna

• Proposed as answer by TheDude Friday, May 11, 2012 3:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TheDude Friday, May 11, 2012 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I was able to fix this on a per machine basis by going into the Advanced Security Settings for the C:\Users\Default folder (its hidden by default) and checking the box to "Replace all child object permission with inheritable permissions from this object".
    • Proposed as answer by Rob Maule Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I have been searching for 2 days for a fix and this is what actually fixed it for me.  Thanks!  I have seen this on 2 different Windows 7 64-bit machines.  I ran into the issue during initial configuration out of the box from Dell and from rebuilding from scratch.   It would be nice to know if a hot fix or software install is what is messing up the default user folder.  But for now I am satisfied with how to fix the error. 
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:09 PM
  • This has not worked for me. Every user (including built-in administrator) of the system gets a TEMP folder. I have this issue occurring on a dozen PC's and it seems to have started at the same time. My only recourse has been to reimage the pc.

Any furthere insights would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:57 PM
  • This worked for me also.  However, after creating a new user I have to also:

1. Create users Users\user_name folder i.e. C:\Users\John
    2. Create users Users\user_name subfolders by copying from other users (including all hidden files).
    3. Find and add the new user to the folder permissions
    4. Change the user's folder permissions as "Full Control"
    5. Perform the "Replace all child object permission with inheritable permissions from this object" on the Users\user_name.
    6. Log on as the user and log off.
    7. Log in as Administrator and I find a new set of user_name folders i.e. C:\Users\John.pc_name
    8. Then, I can delete the C:\Users\John folder and subfolders.
    9. There is one \TEMP folder under C:\Users

I am running Windows 7 Professional at home and caused this problem by trying to move and point writes to User's data folders to HDD data drive versus SSD boot drive.  I started out using Properties sif Libraries and Folders to do so.  This seemed to be OK.  I was doing fine until I started to use Windows Explorer with Administrators rights to unlock/unhide and move user's profiles files i.e. C:\Users\User1, C:\Users\Guest.  I even tried to move C:\Users to F:\Users.  I beleive these actions caused this failure.

P.S. I am new to these forums. If I am too verbose, please let know.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Thank You, It Worked!
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Thanks, this resolved our issue. We were using our same image as always to set up a couple of new machines for a student lab and could not login with domain accounts. Used to always work with the same image. Not sure if something changed with the domain authentication end of things.
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hello all,

If  didn't install any application on your machine before this error occurred try doing a system restore and you might save a lot of time.

I wish this can also help.

• Edited by Arye762 Tuesday, April 08, 2014 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 7:35 AM