none
wusa.exe Always Returns 87 With "/quiet" Switch RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to uninstall an update from a bunch of computers.

I found that the command "wusa.exe /quiet /uninstall /kb:111111 /forcerestart" should uninstall the update.

However, I noticed it never does anything (no error in event viewer, no error on screen) so I echo'ed out the %ErrorLevel% after the command runs and it returns 87.

I tried putting the switches in different orders.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The command seems no error, I consider that if this update cannot be removed or this update hasn't been installed on this computer.

Please logon one client PC, and under Control panel program and features, then highlight the update you would like to uninstall and see if the uninstall button will appear on the bar.

In addition, you may need to run the file as administrator to remove the update package.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:45 AM
    Owner
  • The command does give a return code (which is an error)
    I also forgot to mention that this command works fine without the "/quiet" switch.

However, this does not allow the command to be executed via a script because it then requires interaction to complete the process.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:06 PM
  • Hi, 

Did you configure any restart scheduler policy for Windows update?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:46 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, but I don't see why that would cause this issue.

• Edited by DJX995 Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:13 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:12 PM
  • As we know that installing or removing some updates, you may be required to restart the computers.

Switch "/quiet" states that Run Wusa.exe in quiet mode without user interaction. When the tool runs in quiet mode, it runs without user interaction. The computer restarts if this is required.

I just consider the no-restart GP will block this behavior which may cause your issue.

Please test if this /quiet can work fine when you disable such gpos.

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:30 AM
    Owner
  • No change.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi, do you find any solution?

I've got the same issue with uninstalling KB4054590 on Windows Server 2016 Systems.

"wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:4054590" works fine.

"wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:4054590 /quiet" caused return code 87.

Not even a logfile is written with the parameter "/log".

Same behavior on any Windows Server 2016 System i've tested.

The Uninstall Button under Programs and Features is available for this Updated and works fine as well.

• Edited by Giskard38 Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:00 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:59 AM
  • Nope, I gave up.

My use case was for a bad Office update but it was scheduled to be fixed in a following update. Since I couldn't get this to work, I just told the users to wait for the next update because I wasn't about to do manual uninstalls on 100 machines.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:22 PM