none
Express Card for Virtual Memory???

Question

• I have a 16GB Express Card installed in my Dell Latitude D820 laptop.  In Vista, I could configure it to be used for Virtual Memory.  However, Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow me to use it.  I only see my "C" drive as an option.   Has anyone had success in using an Express Card for Virtual Memory?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi NJOYZRD,

Are you referring to using it for a page file, or for ReadyBoost?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Good question, is ReadyBoost only a feature of Vista?

I was trying to configure it for page file.  But I guess I was really thinking about ReadyBoost.  Can it be used for either?  Do you know how?

Thanks!
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:30 PM
  • If it is adequate for ReadyBoost, you should be able to use it in that fashion, similar to how it is done in Vista.

If you are not able to add a page file to the drive, then it seems that Windows has not seen fit to allow you to do so.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:56 PM
  • OK, I just remembered how to setup ReadyBoost.  Locate the Express Card in My Computer -> Right Click It and Select Properties -> ReadyBoost tab.

Any idea how ReadyBoost differs from Page (Virtual) Memory?

Thanks.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:33 PM
  • The page file is used by the memory manager to transfer memory contents to and from disk, when the virtual memory in use by running processes exceeds physical memory.

ReadyBoost uses faster (than mechanical disk) flash memory to act as a cache between memory and disk.  Superfetch populates the cache.  More (Vista-specific) details can be found in Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2 .
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:08 PM