none
Latest version of Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just bought a new HP all in one computer with Windows 10 preinstalled.  I have downloaded the latest version of Windows 10.  My previous computer was running windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7.

A program that I had installed on my previous computer will not install on my new computer.  The compatibility mode suggests versions of Windows from XP up to 7.  None of these compatibility modes will install my program.  I know that the program is very old, but it installed on my previous windows 10.

Please note that after a hard drive crash on the old computer, I restored factory settings (Windows 7), then upgraded to Windows 10, then applied all the updates, then installed my program (Corel Draw) using compatibility mode for Windows 7.  After another crash it was time for a new computer.

I am hoping that someone can find a solution, as I have had a chat session with Microsoft, but the issue has not been resolved

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Henerie.

If neither the settings in the "Compatibility" tab of the program's executable file nor the "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows" feature under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features can make your program working fine under the latest Windows 10 build, I'd suggest you to contact the program's manufacturer and ask for assistance.
    Alternatively, you could setup a VM using Windows 10 Hyper-V and install the Windows version you need to run that program.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, June 18, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  The program is fairly old and Corel no longer supports it.

I have just realised that my old computer is 32 bit and the new one is 64 bit.  I am thinking that that is the problem.  I thought I saw support for 32 bit software in compatibility mode while I was installing another program that ran on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 upgrade.

If that is the case I will have to purchase a current version of the program. 

Regards

Henerie

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:16 AM
  • Hi Henerie,

Any update?

If it's the version problem, it should prompt corresponding error message.

If it's not the version problem, you may need to find another program instead or install Windows 7 as a Windows 10 Hyper-V virtual machine.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 2:55 AM