none
Default Users Profile Corrupt, Event ID 1515

Question

• We have a 2008 Terminal Server that is getting event ID 1515.

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 1515
    Source: Userenv
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_PROFILE_DIR_BACKEDUP
    Message: Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on.

Explanation

A temporary user profile is loaded because Windows was unable to log you on with your local profile.

A possible cause for this is if your local profile has been corrupted or you no longer have adequate privileges to the profile folders.

Note: All changes made to the temporary profile are lost after you log off.

User Action

Look for additional profile events in the Event log to obtain more information about why this occurred or contact the system administrator for additional help.

Is there anyway that I can recover or repair the default users profile?

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This error may occur if the "Do not logon users with temporary profiles" Group Policy setting is configured.

This issue may occur if the user profile was corrupted or deleted manually or by other means. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the Security Identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

If the SID is present, Windows will try to load the profile by using the ProfileImagePath that points to a nonexistent path. Therefore, the profile cannot be loaded.

Please refer to the following KB link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

In some cases, after you log off from the remote desktop session to Terminal Server, changes to the user profile are not saved correctly on the profile server, and the user profile is corrupted.

There is a workaround you can refer to do:
    1. Add the User to local Administrator Group on the Server where they have Profile Folders.
    2. Delete the profile and let the user create the profile during next logon.

Technology changes life……

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This error may occur if the "Do not logon users with temporary profiles" Group Policy setting is configured.

This issue may occur if the user profile was corrupted or deleted manually or by other means. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the Security Identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

If the SID is present, Windows will try to load the profile by using the ProfileImagePath that points to a nonexistent path. Therefore, the profile cannot be loaded.

Please refer to the following KB link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

In some cases, after you log off from the remote desktop session to Terminal Server, changes to the user profile are not saved correctly on the profile server, and the user profile is corrupted.

There is a workaround you can refer to do:
    1. Add the User to local Administrator Group on the Server where they have Profile Folders.
    2. Delete the profile and let the user create the profile during next logon.

Technology changes life……

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Whenever I get this problem I look for keys like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-796845957-1788223648-839522115-2142.bak]

Just delete the whole .bak-key and then I can log on without the user getting a TEMP-profile.

• Proposed as answer by Goudeuk Friday, December 2, 2016 2:47 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Thanks deleting the reg key worked a treat for me.
    Monday, April 28, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Thank you MrIknownothing, deleting the registry key worked for me also.
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 7:36 PM
  • That's it, worked for me. Have to look for the user in the ProfileList that is having the issue. Thanks muchly!
    Monday, May 9, 2016 12:32 PM
  • this anwser help me :) thanks
    Friday, December 2, 2016 11:23 AM