MDT "Media offline ISO file size issue" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a MDT Server without WDS therefore, we generate ISO which then we burn it in USB. However, we have this issue where our ISO file size keeps on increasing and now it has reached 14.5GB. I think the reason because of drivers but what's the point when you can't install drivers for different model and make. We have drivers for around 6 different Laptop and PC models. I knew the size would increase but every time I include a driver model increases by 1GB+. 

In future we might add more drivers and if file size keeps on increasing not sure how we will manage. I have never used WDS for long term therefore not sure if it is same issue with it. 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue or some tips or tricks to minimise it. 

Kind Regards,

Friday, August 7, 2020 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

1.Based on my experience, you can rebuild the offline ISO with all needed drivers and updates in one time, it will shrink the media size than every time incremental update.

2.What about using MDT to deploy your images? You can organize your drivers and even get fancy and target by machine manufacturer and model instead of injecting everything.

Here is a similar thread for your reference:
    image deployment: best way to supply drivers aside WIM

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

"MECM" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "MECM" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

Hope everything goes well. May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

"MECM" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "MECM" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 14, 2020 7:59 AM