none
Windows 7: [Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80FF0000]

Question

• I've tried to apply a syspreppred and customized Windows 7 image through MDT 2010 TS for a week now, and every time the setup runs into the same error. I've managed to work around it by applying the customized image directly to client computers, but that's not a solution I'm looking for. See, I don't want our end-users to create local admin-account or assign random computer name. Below is part of the setupact.log I dug up. Any thoughts?

2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info       [0x06009f] IBS    DeployImage:Successfully applied image. Destination was [F:\]
    2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info       [0x0a0024] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\TransferFinalImage : EndProgress
    2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info                  IBS    Successfully deployed data image 'ImageInfo\DataImage0'
    2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info       [0x0a0023] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\SkuAssembly : StartProgress
    2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info                  IBS    CallBack_ConfigureWindowsFoundationImage:Image is not Windows foundation image.
    2010-01-19 10:35:49, Info       [0x0a0024] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\SkuAssembly : EndProgress
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info                  IBS    CallBack_ApplyFoundationStoreAcls:Image is not Windows foundation image.
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0a0023] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\LanguagePack : StartProgress
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info                  IBS    CallBack_LanguagePack_Install: Target language [en-US] is already installed. No need to install.
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0a0024] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\LanguagePack : EndProgress
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x060578] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:Target language is [en-US]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x06057a] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:Input locale is [0409:00000409]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x06057c] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:User locale is [en-US]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x06057d] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:System locale is [en-US]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x06057e] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:MUIOffline_ApplyInternationalSettings return code is [0x80FF0000]. Extended status code is [0x3]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Error      [0x06057f] IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:An error occurred installing the locale values. Error code is [0x80FF0000]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0640ae] IBSLIB PublishMessage: Publishing message [Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80FF0000]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0a013d] UI     Accepting Cancel. Exiting Page Progress.
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info                  UI     Entering Page Cancel.
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0a011c] UI     WizardDialogPost::SetActive
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:14 AM

Answers

• Confirmation to my findings:

0x80FF0000 happens when applying OS-image through setup.exe, if user-profile has been redirected during initial unattended install

Work around: do not redirect user-profile during initial unattended install.

To Dale: the sizes of the partitions are 30GB + 30GB, the size of the image, i.e. OS with applications, if slightly under 4GB (imagex /compress fast, not maximum). OS partition has around 15GB of free space after applying the image, Drive D is only populated with Users-directory, so it's virtually empty.

I don't feel like testing the possible effects of changing locales, since it's irrelevant in our environment.

Though this problem wasn't a show stopper, I've been just too curious to let this go. So, it looks that I've found another "feature" of Windows 7, and, based on past experiences, this is of course, "a designed/desired feature". ;)
    • Marked as answer by wei2ali Friday, January 29, 2010 10:36 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi wei,

I noticed the following message:

2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info                  IBS    CallBack_LanguagePack_Install: Target language [en-US] is already installed. No need to install.

The above line seems that you duplicated configure language settings. Please make sure that you haven't configure the language settings more than once.

2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x06057e]IBS    Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:An error occurred installing the locale values. Error code is [0x80FF0000]
    2010-01-19 10:35:50, Info       [0x0640ae] IBSLIB PublishMessage: Publishing message [Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80FF0000]

To my knowledge, error code 0x80FF0000 can be related to out of disk space or wrong localized language. Generally, some languages require more hard-disk storage space than others. Please check the system drive to make sure that it has enough space for installation. For more information, please refer to the following link:

Error code: 0x80ff0000

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Update:

No good, no matter what I try.

I removed all the keyboard settings from the unattend file and tried setup on the same reference computer I made the image from, same error. Tried the same method on a virtual machine with 130GB on C, same error.

Here's my unattend.xml, stripped down to the bone. The only thing I suspect is the "fi-FI" locale setting, but that's what I need the most. I'll try next made a non-localized image and see if I can reproduce the error.
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
    - <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    - <settings pass="windowsPE">
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
    - <ImageInstall>
    - <OSImage>
      <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI> 
    - <InstallTo>
      <DiskID>0</DiskID> 
      <PartitionID>1</PartitionID> 
      </InstallTo>
    - <InstallFrom>
      <Path>.\Operating Systems\Windows 7 x86\Sources\install.wim</Path> 
    - <MetaData>
      <Key>/image/index</Key> 
      <Value>1</Value> 
      </MetaData>
      </InstallFrom>
      </OSImage>
      </ImageInstall>
    - <UpgradeData>
      <Upgrade>false</Upgrade> 
      </UpgradeData>
    - <Display>
      <ColorDepth>16</ColorDepth> 
      <HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution> 
      <RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate> 
      <VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution> 
      </Display>
    - <ComplianceCheck>
      <DisplayReport>OnError</DisplayReport> 
      </ComplianceCheck>
    - <UserData>
      <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula> 
    - <ProductKey>
      <Key /> 
      </ProductKey>
      </UserData>
      </component>
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    - <SetupUILanguage>
      <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage> 
      </SetupUILanguage>
      <InputLocale>040b:0000040b</InputLocale> 
      <SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale> 
      <UserLocale>fi-FI</UserLocale> 
      <UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback> 
      </component>
      </settings>
    - <settings pass="specialize">
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
    - <Identification>
    - <Credentials>
      <Username /> 
      <Domain /> 
      <Password /> 
      </Credentials>
      <JoinDomain /> 
      <JoinWorkgroup /> 
      <MachineObjectOU /> 
      </Identification>
      </component>
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <Home_Page>about:blank</Home_Page> 
      <IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg> 
      </component>
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    - <RunSynchronous>
    - <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
      <Description>EnableAdmin</Description> 
      <Order>1</Order> 
      <Path>cmd /c net user Administrator /active:yes</Path> 
      </RunSynchronousCommand>
      <Description>EnableAdmin_ploc</Description> 
      <Order>2</Order> 
      <Path>cmd /c net user Administrator_ploc /active:yes</Path> 
      </RunSynchronousCommand>
      <Description>UnfilterAdministratorToken</Description> 
      <Order>3</Order> 
      <Path>cmd /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v FilterAdministratorToken /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f</Path> 
      </RunSynchronousCommand>
      </RunSynchronous>
      </component>
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-Main" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <DisableSR>1</DisableSR> 
      </component>
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <ComputerName>*</ComputerName> 
      <RegisteredOrganization /> 
      <RegisteredOwner /> 
      </component>
      </settings>
    - <settings pass="oobeSystem">
    - <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
    - <UserAccounts>
    - <AdministratorPassword>
      <Value>QgByADAAbQBhAG4AbgBBAGQAbQBpAG4AaQBzAHQAcgBhAHQAbwByAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value> 
      <PlainText>false</PlainText> 
      </AdministratorPassword>
    - <LocalAccounts>
    - <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
      <Description>Temp account</Description> 
      <DisplayName>Temp account</DisplayName> 
      <Group>Users</Group> 
      <Name>TempAccount</Name> 
      </LocalAccount>
      </LocalAccounts>
      </UserAccounts>
    - <AutoLogon>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled> 
      <Username>Administrator</Username> 
      <Domain>.</Domain> 
    - <Password>
      <Value>QgByADAAbQBhAG4AbgBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value> 
      <PlainText>false</PlainText> 
      </Password>
      <LogonCount>999</LogonCount> 
      </AutoLogon>
    - <Display>
      <ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth> 
      <HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution> 
      <RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate> 
      <VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution> 
      </Display>
    - <FirstLogonCommands>
    - <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
      <CommandLine>cscript.exe C:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start</CommandLine> 
      <Description>Lite Touch new OS</Description> 
      <Order>1</Order> 
      </SynchronousCommand>
      <CommandLine>cscript.exe D:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start</CommandLine> 
      <Order>2</Order> 
      </SynchronousCommand>
      <CommandLine>cscript.exe E:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start</CommandLine> 
      <Order>3</Order> 
      </SynchronousCommand>
      <CommandLine>cscript.exe F:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start</CommandLine> 
      <Order>4</Order> 
      </SynchronousCommand>
      </FirstLogonCommands>
    - <OOBE>
      <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage> 
      <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation> 
      <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC> 
      <SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE> 
      </OOBE>
      <RegisteredOrganization>My Organization</RegisteredOrganization> 
      <RegisteredOwner>Authorized User</RegisteredOwner> 
      <TimeZone /> 
    - <FolderLocations>
      <ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory> 
      </FolderLocations>
      </component>
      </settings>
      <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog://My-dpl-server/deploymentshare$/operating systems/windows 7 x86/sources/install_windows 7 enterprise.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> 
      </unattend>

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:44 PM
  • In my opinion, you should configure the SetupUILanguage using the following settings:

<SetupUILanguage>
    </SetupUILanguage>
    <InputLocale>040b:0000040b</InputLocale>
    <SystemLocale>fi-Fi</SystemLocale>
    <UILanguage>fi-Fi</UILanguage>
    <UILanguageFallback>en-us</UILanguageFallback>
    <UserLocale>fi-Fi</UserLocale>
    <UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:30 AM
  • Hey Dale

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm gtting pretty close to solve the problem now. Here's my initial findings:

A. Successful method
     1. Clean install, without re-directing Users-profile to another drive, sysprep+capture.
     2. With the captured image, run standard client TS, this time, modify unattend.xml to redirect the Users-profile to another drive.

Everything works, haven't had time to test if customized User profile gets transferred.

B. Un-successful method
     1. Clean install, re-direct Users-profile to another dirve, sysprep+capture.
     2. With the captured image, run standard client TS ==> failure (MUIOffline_ApplyInternationalSettings return code is [0x80FF0000]. Extended status code is [0x3])

Just before I left my work, I initiated another TS of B to see if I can repro the behavior. Judging from what I've seen so far, this problem might not be a locale related issue after all.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:39 PM
  • To my knowledge, error code 0x80FF0000 can be related to out of disk space or wrong localized language. Generally, some languages require more hard-disk storage space than others. Please check the system drive to make sure that it has enough space for installation. For more information, please refer to the following link:

Error code: 0x80ff0000
    I'm glad to see that you get closed to the problem. As I said in my previous post,  error code 0x80FF0000 can be related to out of disk space. Since you didn't see such an issue by redirecting user profile to another drive, it seems to be more of drive related issue. How many free space does the redirected drive have?

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Confirmation to my findings:

0x80FF0000 happens when applying OS-image through setup.exe, if user-profile has been redirected during initial unattended install

Work around: do not redirect user-profile during initial unattended install.

To Dale: the sizes of the partitions are 30GB + 30GB, the size of the image, i.e. OS with applications, if slightly under 4GB (imagex /compress fast, not maximum). OS partition has around 15GB of free space after applying the image, Drive D is only populated with Users-directory, so it's virtually empty.

I don't feel like testing the possible effects of changing locales, since it's irrelevant in our environment.

Though this problem wasn't a show stopper, I've been just too curious to let this go. So, it looks that I've found another "feature" of Windows 7, and, based on past experiences, this is of course, "a designed/desired feature". ;)
    • Marked as answer by wei2ali Friday, January 29, 2010 10:36 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:11 AM