none
Desktop icons rearranged on Windows 10 boot or sign-in RRS feed

• Question

• Occasionally on starting Windows 10, or just signing out and back in again, all of the desktop icons are stacked into columns on the left side of the screen. I need to find a way to prevent this. What determines the placement of icons on the desktop, and how can I keep it from being modified without user action?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion.  Auto-arrange is unchecked.  I think I have located the problem and I believe I have solved it, but it is probably too complicated to describe here and of little use to others.

Basically I somehow wound up with a "hidden" homegroup that worked, but only intermittently appeared to the system. When it did, it added a desktop icon and messed up all the others. I created a new HG and joined the other PC to it, and things seem to be working properly again.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi ronks,

Please right click on your desktop and click “View”, uncheck “Auto arrange icons”.

Then you could right-click Desktop > View > Uncheck "Align Icons to Grid"

If the issue still insists, you could try to follow the steps below:

Right click on the desktop
    Choose Personalize, Themes, Desktop icon settings
    Clear the check box by ALLOW THEMES TO CHANGE DESKTOP ICONS

Please also try other user accounts on the same computer and see if the issue persists.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  Auto-arrange is unchecked.  I think I have located the problem and I believe I have solved it, but it is probably too complicated to describe here and of little use to others.

Basically I somehow wound up with a "hidden" homegroup that worked, but only intermittently appeared to the system. When it did, it added a desktop icon and messed up all the others. I created a new HG and joined the other PC to it, and things seem to be working properly again.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:57 PM
  • Thank you for the update on the issue.

As you said, a homegroup also may cause the issue. It's a little possibility to happen. But some people could meet the homegroup icon on desktop appears and disappears randomly after each boot.

We could try to delete the hidden IconCache.db file or create a new homegroup to check.

Anyway, glad your problem is solved and share with us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:29 AM