none
Windows Virtual PC - Windows 98 installation fails

Question

• I've tried it a few times now: Windows 98SE installation in Windows Virtual PC fails.
    I boot from the CD (.iso), fdisk + format the (virtual, 9000 MB, dynamic) HDD, copy the windows 98 folder on the virtual HDD and boot into DOS from the HDD.
    Then I go to the win98 folder and start setup, it does look good in the beginning, but it fails after the reboot with the "wait 15 seconds to reboot or click here to reboot now" message window, is sticks at the "Windows 98" boot logo, if you hit a key the animation stops, the virtual machine is stopped and can only be powered off.
    Normally it would display "updating configuration files" in the DOS before continuing Windows 98 setup (and then asking for name and company and keycode).
    In the Virtual BIOS: APIC off/on and PnP OS off/on tried in all four possible combination.
    No Network: Tried.

Uninstalling "Windows Virtual PC Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu", installing "Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1" (+ update KB 969856)  and everything works perfect right out of the box.

Virtual machine settings (in both Virtual PC version):
    512 MB RAM (also tried 384 MB RAM on Windows Virtual PC)
    CD-ROM drive = .iso file, german Windows 98SE CD
    9000 MB HDD

Host:
    Phenom II 940 3.6 GHz (Virtualisation enabled in BIOS of course)
    8 GB RAM
    AMD 790GX Chipset
    Radeon 4890 GFX card

Can anyone install Windows 98 in Windows Virtual PC?
    If not, try Virtual PC 2007 and tell if you can do it there ?

Set
    • Edited by Setsunaaa Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:36 AM Note about 384 MB test added
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

• Virtual PC 2007 Service Pack 1 does work on Windows 7 just fine. People who don't have hardware assisted virtualization need to use VPC 2007 SP1 instead of Windows 7 VPC. Nothing wrong with that. There is a hotfix for VPC 2007 SP1 that should be installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958162

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 supports Windows 98. Windows 7 Virtual PC does not. But that doesn't mean it won't work. Here is someting to try. Save the vhd and vmc files created by VPC 2007 SP1. Uninstall VPC 2007. Install Windows 7 VPC. Double-click the vmc file and see if it works under Windows 7 VPC.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• Virtual PC 2007 Service Pack 1 does work on Windows 7 just fine. People who don't have hardware assisted virtualization need to use VPC 2007 SP1 instead of Windows 7 VPC. Nothing wrong with that. There is a hotfix for VPC 2007 SP1 that should be installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958162

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 supports Windows 98. Windows 7 Virtual PC does not. But that doesn't mean it won't work. Here is someting to try. Save the vhd and vmc files created by VPC 2007 SP1. Uninstall VPC 2007. Install Windows 7 VPC. Double-click the vmc file and see if it works under Windows 7 VPC.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Thank you for that "official" answer on Windows 7 Virtual PC with Windows 98, and for hinting to that KB entry. Hardware assisted virtualisation is available and active (and used by VPC 2007).
    Do I have to reinstall KB 969856 after that again?
    vmm.sys from KB 958162 is 1.1.654.0, from KB 969856 has version 1.1.656.0

Will there be an update to support Win98 in Windows Virtual PC?
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:24 PM
  • There will not be an update for Windows 98 in Windows 7 Virtual PC.

Please reapply the KB 969856 update and reboot.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:05 PM

• Can anyone install Windows 98 in Windows Virtual PC?
    If not, try Virtual PC 2007 and tell if you can do it there ?

Set

Yes, done it and documented it at my website.
    http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/WinVPC-InstallingWin98.pdf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:39 AM
  • John,

I'm am new to any Virtualization and I'm 65 years old.

I want / need to get into Virtualization as quickly and painlessly as I can.

My urgency is to scan as many paper documents as I can into my current computer.

It is a Gateway Profile-6 All-In-One and it does what I need to do with the exception of Virtualizing W-98S.

To the best of my knowledge, it's CPU does not have the Hardware Assisted Virtualization feature.

The CPU is a 3.2GHz Pentium-4.

The System is set up to Dual Boot either: XP-Pro on (C:) or Vista Ultimate on (D:).

With that said, will Virtual PC 2007 that you mention, allow me to run "Windows 98S" under Windows XP-Pro, the Operating System I have installed on Drive C:?

I have tried VMWare but cannot get W98S to install even thought I have an original W98S CDRom.

I have changed the BIOS Boot Sequence to start with the CDRom but for what ever reason, VMWare starts with trying to Boot from a Network AMD An79ca70a whatever and ends with Exit Intel PXE Rom.

I have had this System for over five years and neither XP-Pro or Vista has ever tried to Boot from what I suspect is a Chip!

At any rate, I'm getting no where fast and time is running out.

My reason for W98S is I have and have successfully use a Compaq Compatable(s) Keyboard Scanner which only has Drivers up until W98S.

I also have a number of W98S Backups that I want to re-look at before I trash them or I am trashed!

I'd appreciate your feedback and or advice.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
    • Edited by Mike Lynch Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:54 PM Typo
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:37 PM
  •    VPC 2007 should run fine on that processor under XP or Vista. I have run it on a 3.0G Pentium 4 wirh 2G of memory and Vista Business.

I would have a look at Steve Jain's site for tips on intalling W98 under VPC 2007.

http://vpc.essjae.com/

PS I am 74 years old!

Bill
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Are you a god? Your document is clear, concise, and easy to follow, unlike anything suggested by Microsoft.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:47 AM
  • @John Paul Cook

People who don't have hardware assisted virtualization need to use VPC 2007 SP1 instead of Windows 7 VPC

This is not true.  Those without hardware assisted virtualization can either download Step 4 on the XP Mode downloads page or they can upgrade to Windows 7 SP1, in which case no special software is needed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Mike,

It makes no difference whether or not you have hardware assisted virtualization.  You can virtualize Windows 98 with WVPC.  WVPC will run fine on W7.  VPC 2007 runs on both XP Pro and W7. 

I would like to point out an issue when dual booting XP and later versions of Windows.  You need to protect W7 from XP's volsnap.sys file.  That is the volume shadowcopy services driver and XP's destroys W7's shadowcopy based files every time you boot into XP unless you unmount the W7 partition at XP boot time.  The solution is

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185/en-us

If you have not done the registry edit in XP you should.  Otherwise you lose restore points, backups, previous versions, etc. whenever XP starts up.

My urgency is to scan as many paper documents as I can into my current computer.

What scanner are you using that has to have Windows 98?  VPC 2007 does not support usb devices like scanners so I don't think that will help you.  WVPC does, but does not have integration components for W98.  The best solution is VMWare Player.  It has VMWare Tools for Windows 98.  If you are having a problem installing Windows 98 it may be because you are not following VMWare's specific instructions for installing Windows 98SE.  See http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf, pages 21 and 22.

You can download a floppy disk .iso file for use in the VMWare Player emulated floppy drive from Steve Jain's website.  He also has a prebuilt Win98 vm there.  Look for "Windows 98 ready VMC and VFD: Partitioned and formatted, includes a Win98 EBD. Just add your Win98 ISO/CD-ROM, License key and go" on

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/default.htm#Windows_Virtual_PC_7

He also has instructions starting on page 8 of his Technical Ref at http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/VPC2007TR.pdf.

I see no reason why you cannot install and run 98SE with any number of virtualization solutions, but if old hardware is the issue simply replace the scanner.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:40 PM
  • @John Paul Cook

People who don't have hardware assisted virtualization need to use VPC 2007 SP1 instead of Windows 7 VPC

This is not true.  Those without hardware assisted virtualization can either download Step 4 on the XP Mode downloads page or they can upgrade to Windows 7 SP1, in which case no special software is needed.

At the time John wrote that WVPC only supported HW VT.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:10 PM