none
Windows Deployment Service Failed to Start

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to test the deplyment of Windows Vista RC1 using Windows Deployment Services (WDS). I have Installed WDS using WAIK on Windows Server 2003 Sp1. Installation completed Successfully, however i am not able to start the service of WDS. Following errors are logged in event logs:

Event ID: 257 Source: WDSServer

Description: An error occurred while trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server. Error Information: 0x54B

Event ID: 513 Source: WDSServer

Description: An error occurred while trying to initialize provider BINLSVC from C:\WINDOWS\system32\binlsvc.dll. Windows Deployment Services server will be shutdown.Error Information: 0x54B

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Vineet Arora

Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi there

Thank you for the reply!

What I did was the following:

I changed the WDS logon account to a Domain Admin account to start the service.  It worked - it created the SCP in AD.  I then changed it back to the Local system system.

Thank you for the assistance.

Laila*

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:00 PM

All replies

•  

Maybe a stupid question.

Did you install Remote Installation Service (RIS) on your server?

If not. Install RIS and then run the WDS update från the WAIK package. Then run WDS från administrative tools.

/Per

Sunday, September 24, 2006 12:21 PM
  • I have the same issue. I installed the WDS update on an R2 system that used to be our production RIS server.

Monday, October 2, 2006 8:55 PM
  • C:\Public\Utils\Err>err 0x54b
    # for hex 0x54b / decimal 1355
      ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN                                           winerror.h
    # The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
    # contacted.

Windows Deployment Services uses Active Directory as a database for storing configuration information. Additionally, WDS can link physical booting computers to logical computer objects stored in AD. The binlsvc.dll provider provides this integration and must contact AD in order to be functional.

The error you are receiving generally indicates that you have a networking configuration problem on your server that is causing the domain to be unreachable. I would start by checking your DNS settings - ensure that all NICs in your machine are pointing to local DNS servers (and not internet / external DNS servers), ensure that your domain suffix actually matches that of the domain, etc...

A good tool to help troubleshoot is netdiag.exe (run this with the /v switch, e.g. 'netdiag.exe /v') available when you install the support tools from the \Tools folder of your Server 2003 installation media.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 2:28 PM
  • Hi there,

Did you solve your problem regarding to wds issuew after updating to R2?

I'm having same trouble and i can't find any solution for it..

Any advice appreciated

Monday, August 20, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am having some issues with the WDS Service failing to start. My Event log is as follows...

An error occurred while trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server.

Error Information: 0x7F

The initial error code the dialogue box showed was error code was vendor specific error-127.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:25 PM
  • WDS service won't start after initial install if in the WDS wizard you don't tell it to respond to PXE client requests and authorize it in DHCP.  Once in the wizard you initialize it, it should start.  After it has started the first time you can go back into your WDS settings, right-click on your WDS server and change it back to not respond if needed.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:56 PM
  • I am having a similar issue with WDS.  Here is how my server is configured:

1. The server was initially a RIS Server, it was confiured with Windows Server 2003 SP1.

2. RIS was then removed, and Server 2003 SP2 was installed.

3. I then installed WDS (Obviously native mode now)

4. Configured the WDS Settings for PXE etc.

5. The WDS Server Service however just refuses to start, these are the messages in the Event viewer:

Application:

Source:WDSServer

Category: WDSServer

Type: Error

Event ID:257

An error occurred while trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server.

Error Information: 0x32

System:

Source: Service Control Manager

Category: None

Type: Error

Event ID:7024

The Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Server service terminated with service-specific error 50 (0x32).

Any ideas?

Laila*

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:47 AM
  • Error 0x32 is LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_RIGHTS: do you have sufficient permissions on the domain to run the WDS service? You need permissions to create the WDS Service Control Point in AD and modify the object if it exists. If you need more information on permissions to run WDS, more information is in the WDS whitepaper in the chapter 'permissions':

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1393400&SiteID=17

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:02 PM
  • Hi there

Thank you for the reply!

What I did was the following:

I changed the WDS logon account to a Domain Admin account to start the service.  It worked - it created the SCP in AD.  I then changed it back to the Local system system.

Thank you for the assistance.

Laila*

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:00 PM
  • THANK YOU Laila!!!!!

I've been searching a whole week why suddenly the WDS service was always unable to start in a timely fashion.. (error code 32 or 50 for BINLSVC)

I've reinstalled every tool, almost to the point of reinstalling the server... I was always running the installations from a Domain Admin account, which is why I stopped looking into security issues...

I've searched every blog, technet and msdn forum I could find, this is the ONLY post that actually has the answer, and as usual, it was some simple thing.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:56 PM
  • I had also trouble with the WDS Service. It did no longer start, returning event id's: 513, 257 and 258. (0x54B, 0x3A)
    Performing the steps described by Laila resolved the problem.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 12:30 PM
  •  

Thnx

Its Working

Thnx Alot

Regds,

Rajesh

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Laila,

I had the same problem and used your method to correct it, worked like a champ.

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:36 AM
  • Tried the Domain Admin thing and the service starts when you look at it in Services and Applications, but it still appears stopped from the WDS snapin status icon. It still also says 'the service did not respond to the control order in a timely fashion' etc.

Lost for ideas... RIS was dead easy compared to this!

Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:16 AM
  • I have tried this solution with absolutely no luck. Changing the service to run as a Domain Admin made no difference, same error message. I have no idea why it stopped working in the first place. The server was in hybrid mode. The only thing that changed before it went wrong is I retired a domain controller.

To be quite blunt, this is totally pathetic. Why fix what isn't broken?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:51 PM
  • definitely a DNS/Active Directory problem as stated above.  I am in a two site environment with a domain controller at each site.  Running WDS on the domain controller that is also the global catalog worked like a charm.  Only started having problems when I tried setting up WDS on the other site's domain controller which was not a global catalog.  Both domain controllers are also DNS servers with one Active Directory Integrated zone.  I ran the nltest diagnostics and kept getting the NO LOGON SERVER error.  Very weird since all other DNS tests were fine, and I have not had any other symptoms other than the damn WDS failing to start.  I saw an error stating no secure channel existed for my domain.  I used the nltest commands to fix this but it wasn't permanent after a reboot.  I don't have weeks to figure out all these archaic command line options for nlest and the /? command line help is ____.  I simply made the other domain controller a global catalog server and that fixed the problem. 
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:42 PM
  • For me, I had the error 0x54B in the event logs. As I started reviewing previous entries, evidently the global catalog had failed at replicating thus the Net Logon service was PAUSED. Once I RESUMED the service and restarted WDS (Windows Deployment Services) my clients we able to boot from PXE. This may be another thing to check as WDS is heavily dependent on Active Directory.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:33 AM
  • I'm having problem with adding the WDS node, inside the MMC of the WDS server i have selected "Local" but then it failed to add itself with "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password." error message, in my event viewer there is no error message at all. any help would be greatly appreciated.

/* Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Maybe a stupid question.

Did you install Remote Installation Service (RIS) on your server?

If not. Install RIS and then run the WDS update från the WAIK package. Then run WDS från administrative tools.

/Per

That is a stupid question since WDS replaced RIS

Eric-H

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:31 PM
  • for me the the folowing dosent do the trick,

i run the command :

wdsutil /set-Server /UseDhcpPorts:No

and now it working like a charm...

yanir d.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:59 PM
  • The issue has been addressed by Microsoft here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121690/en-us

additional reading from blog http://delphintipz.blogspot.com/2012/02/service-did-not-respond-to-start-or.html 

---Pat

• Proposed as answer by Kuba_L Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:42 AM
  • The issue has been addressed by Microsoft here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121690/en-us

additional reading from blog http://delphintipz.blogspot.com/2012/02/service-did-not-respond-to-start-or.html 

---Pat

THANK YOU!

I was wondering why I couldn't start the WDS service on our PDC, but I realized EXACTLY why after you mentioned that KB! Our PDC has 24 logical cores and WDS service returns error message -1101 when I try manually starting it with Local System account.

applying the hotfix.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:40 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2910552

Applying the hotfix solved the problem for me!!

Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:10 PM