none
Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 Failing on Multiple Systems

Question

• All Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with all patches (until now)

Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 failed to install on one system.. On another resulted in system crashes when installing updates.  This leaves a folder with a strang name and with a load of subfolders that I cannot delete.  I log in with an admistrative userid and double click on the folder in the root.  The system give me a UAC warning that I have to agree with to get permenent access to the folder.  But I cannot get access to the subfolders and I cannot delete the folder.

I restored one system from a backup from 6/10 that did not have Windows Update Agent installed and when I ran Windows Update and clicked on Check For Updates IE8 crashed -- it just disappeared -- no debug popups.  But Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 was installed.

Is there someway I can prvent Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 from automatically installing when I check for updates?  If not then I cannot check for updates and cannot install them.

http://www.saberman.com

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:57 AM

All replies

• You can change how updates are installed in Control Panel > Windows Update >> change to manual.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:52 AM
  • "Milos Puchta" wrote in message news:d950e4e9-3cda-4111-ba9b-5e242bee270a...

You can change how updates are installed in Control Panel > Windows Update >> change to manual.

Regards

Milos

The Agent installation is a forced one - even if WU is switched to never download, it will install.
    WU would need to be totally disabled for it not to install.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:43 AM
  • 1. I have return to Internet and found that you are not alone with problem with this update.

2. Unfortunately this update is not reacheable with manual download and install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/en-us

3. Are there any traces in WindowsUpdate.log ?

Regards

Milos

Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:14 AM
  • I would hazard a  WAG that many such failures are caused by having an already-infected system.

It would be worth running a full scan with decent up-to-date AV and anti-malware apps.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.   No hits.

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to check what kind of error message you received when trying update after installing Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256? Whether you are using WSUS or directly check for updates?

If WSUS is used, please check the settings at the server side. In addition, you can check the following KB:

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent

Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Directly checking for updates.

There isn't any error message.  On one of the machines there was a page that said windows update would be updated and it would close and reopen.  But it just closed and the install of Windows Update Agent failed. It appears to be intermitten as I eventually got it to install.  But not on all machines.

How can I block the Windows Update Agent update?  Why is it forced when it doesn't install properaly and kills my machines.  I do a reboot and cannot recover even if I select a restore point.

Whay is this update forced?!!!  No update should be forced!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:16 AM
  • As per the Windows update design this is an engine update that will automatically be installed if you have enabled windows update in any way.

When you say a system crash can you be more specific?  They symptom you are describing "This leaves a folder with a strang name and with a load of subfolders that I cannot delete" to me is more of a .net patching folder left behind.  I've not seen any Windows update agent update leave behind anything.

Are you sure that you didn't get a .net update installed?

Everyone wants this update.  You'll need workstations to get WU hardening in light of the Flame malware.

Can you post up the windowsupdate.log from the c:\windows folder please?  Specifically the part where it went to update the agent? 

Please note this agent update has happened several times in the past.  http://blogs.technet.com/b/mu/archive/2012/06/06/update-to-windows-update-wsus-coming-this-week.aspx

Again, it's not an update being forced, it's the underlying engine of the WU agent that has to get updates to it to ensure you are secure and that the plumbing parts of WU are functioning as it should.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would like to check what kind of error message you received when trying update after installing Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256? Whether you are using WSUS or directly check for updates?

If WSUS is used, please check the settings at the server side. In addition, you can check the following KB:

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent

Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

My system is running SBS2003 with WSUS, everything was working fine.

i forced one of my windows 7 machines to update to the microsoft update site directly (eg. not via WSUS).

Since then that machine has been giving: WindowsUpdate_800B0001 when trying to get updates from the WSUS, but is fine to contact MS directly.

On machines that have not been patched via MS Update - everything is still working ok.

I have run the FixIt programme and the System rediness tool and neither have worked

Hope this helps

lee

• Edited by leelegend Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:36 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:34 PM
  • 1. Did you install the update on WSUS on the SBS box?  If not, do so.

2.  Can you run the system checker tool (see http://www.rselby.net/win7update8.htm )

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:36 PM
    Answerer
  • I cannot install the update on the WSUS box as the update is not listed on the MS Update site for SBS2003 - and the WSUS console is showing that the server is 100% patched.

Lee

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Do you have wsus 2 or 3?

And make sure you've adjusted the categories of WSUS to include optional updates as it may just not be detecting it in wsus, as yes it's applicable to SBS 2003 as it's applicable to WSUS 3.

Manually go to Microsoft update and you should see it offered.  You are looking for KB2720211.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:05 PM
    Answerer
  • You are correct -- the leftover folder was from a .net update that crashed my system.

I am running multiple Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines under VirtualBox under a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 host.  The VMs are used for different clients/phases of work.  Some are not used for months at a time and therefore have a large number of updates to install the first time that are started.

The scenario with the toasted machine -- which I was able to reproduce by using an older image of the virtual hard drive -- is as follows:

1. Windows Update Agenet installs itselft.
    2. I then try to install a number of updates from Windows Update: eight or so security updates, two .Net 3.51 updates and two .Net 4 updates.  The system crashes while installing one of the updates.  Actrually it just does a immediate restart -- like the four finger salute.  No dump and no BugCheck information.

At that point rebooting hangs with the multi-color logo on the screen.  So I try booting and hiting F8 and trying to go back to the restore point that was created before the update install started.  System won't boot at all.  Trying to repair from a Windows 7 x64 SP1 ISO doesn't work.

I have managed to very carefully let the system install Windows Update Agent and then shutdown.  Install each update seperately and shutdown after most of them.  I am now current on that machine.

I have another dozen or so Windows 7 Ultimate x64 VMs that I will now try and walk through the same process.

Where is the knowledgebase article that describes the Windows Update Agent update? 

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Do you have wsus 2 or 3?

And make sure you've adjusted the categories of WSUS to include optional updates as it may just not be detecting it in wsus, as yes it's applicable to SBS 2003 as it's applicable to WSUS 3.

Manually go to Microsoft update and you should see it offered.  You are looking for KB2720211.

I have found it - unapproved in the Criticall updates folder on the WSUS console.

Am i safe to approve this - or can i sit this out until MS sort it out?

I am not a confident SysAdmin and will not go hacking the registry if it goes wrong

cheers

lee

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:06 AM
  • IGNORE MY POST ABOVE

I have found it - unapproved in the Criticall updates folder on the WSUS console.

It is saying that is not required on any of my systems?

cheers

lee

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:24 AM
  • that sounds like nightmare!

what do i do with the windows 7 machines with the error - do you think there will be a fix?

thanks for replying

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:12 PM
  • I think there will be a fix eventually but you and I are going to be reinstalling WSUS a few times today to resolve the problem we have right now.

I have a similar issue to Saberman on a Server 2008 R2, Server 2008 and a Win7 Pro box except I get the error 800B0001.  

I suspect I'm going to have the same problem with Server 2003 R2 but I'm not sure how to force it to check in with WSUS yet.

Good news is the update does not apply to Windows 2000.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:26 PM
  • 1. I have return to Internet and found that you are not alone with problem with this update.

2. Unfortunately this update is not reacheable with manual download and install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/en-us

Regards

Milos

since there are no official standalone Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 installers available from Microsoft, you could try one of the following unofficial WUA v7.6.7600.256 setup packages from Wincert.net.

just run it with the /q and /wuforce switches and reboot & see what happens.

• Edited by erpmanila3w Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:04 PM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:03 PM
  • OK. I am tired and frustrated and Fix it is not helping and manually trying to reset the registry is not working as outlined in the knowledge database so I am here to see if anyone can help.

Since 6-24-2012 the updater has failed to update its 8-5-2012.

Below is the error report.

It takes forever for update to set up. It takes forever to search for updates. It takes minutes to "install" after I click on the (install the updater) update button and it does close but never reopens even when left on overnight or when the system is rebooted after. I basically think I need to have Fix it totally rebuild the Updater and start fresh, but I can't find anywhere that this is ever talked about.

I am asking...How about a clean install of the latest updater?

Any ideas on why it has worked up until this time?

Nothing has changed in the last 2 years on my system really. Webroot has never interfered with any updates in the past and even turning it off does not help. even booting in safe mode does not allow me to do anything. I have tried every safe mode available to me.

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

Thanks, TG

Vista Home Premium sp2

Sorry for the image size. If you zoom in with CTRL + (+) you can read it.
    • Edited by TANG67 Monday, August 6, 2012 3:10 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 2:56 AM
  • I have having similar problems to TANG67 (made another thread about it).

Similar to him, I could use help with it too.  I've been trying every workaround available and nothing seems to fix it so far.  Any help?  Was MS ever planning to get a fix for this problem?

Echo... echo... echo........

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:18 PM

Regards

Milos

since there are no official standalone Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 installers available from Microsoft, you could try one of the following unofficial WUA v7.6.7600.256 setup packages from Wincert.net.

just run it with the /q and /wuforce switches and reboot & see what happens.

Against my better judgement I've just downloaded this installer and it fixed the problem straight away.

Why oh why do MS have to make things so goddamn difficult? What's the point in preventing network admins from fixing broken MS software?

I wasted hours geting to the bottom of this, just release the bloody download Microsoft!

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Norton Antivirus deletes the Wincert.net x64 file as soon as I download it.  Says the file doesn't meet the "reputation" requirement of Norton Community.  I suppose I could turn off Norton and download it.  Now I'm afraid to run it on my new Windows 7 Pro SP1 laptop.

The error code I am getting for failed updates is 643 and 800703EE.  Some updates do install, 52 did not.  The WU Agent 7.6.7600.256 did install successfully.

Any advice?

• Edited by Happpp Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:15 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Ditch Norton

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:20 PM