none
Text To Speech Adminiatrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We currently have an issue with text to speech needing Administrator rights for standard users on our domain.  No user is able to turn the option on.  The option is in ease of access under the heading interaction called Speech

I am unable to post a screen shot as it is asking me to verify my account.  The only GPO setting I can find is in control panel and reginal options. This is set to allow users to enable.

We are a school and desperate to get this working

Many thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:03 AM

All replies

• Do you have the Administrator's right?

In a domain An Administrator has the right to assign the right to the Standard User

If you are the Admin then what exact error are you getting?

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I am an admin.  How do I assign permissions to a standard user to enable them to enable this?

It works as an Admin no problem but we cant give all our users Admin rights unless we can give them Admin to just this?

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 2:09 PM
  • Hi Darren, 

The function "test to speech" you mentioned in your thread located in a specific office product or configured in Settings?

I recommend to verify your account with the link below and post a capture here. 

How to Verify Your MSDN/TechNet Forums Account So that You Can Post Images and Links

If it occur in office product, we recommend to contact with Office team:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=officeitpro&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

The setting is within the system.  It is located in Settings / Ease of Access / Speech and "Turn on Speech Recognition"

Darren 

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

"No user is able to turn the option on.  No user is able to turn the option on.  "

Is it gray out?

We could run command line "gpresult /h c:\gp.html" as administrator to generate a report about applied group policy, then check if any related policy was configured on your side.

Bests, 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

The option is not greyed out and can be clicked but then it asks for Admin rights.

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi Darren, 

What's your system language? As the option is only available on specific language. 

Please check if the option is available to turn on with administrator account. 

To exclude if it was caused by domain environment, please check if the issue persists after leave domain.

Please check if it is available to turn on through registry modification as below. We could test under administrator account. For more information, please refer How to Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Settings\OnlineSpeechPrivacy

HasAccepted DWORD
    0 = On
    1 = Off

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests, 

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi Darren,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Morning

Thanks for the support.  Yes we had already done this and the reg key is set to 0

The GPO has applied but the issue remains where the user can only enable this setting if they are an Administrator.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

I think you have the wrong setting. The  setting is here.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-speech-recognition-feature-windows

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:09 PM