none
Windows was unable to create a required Installation folder. Error Code: 0x80070005

Question

• Laptop: Toshiba Satellite p205-s6287
    Currently Running: Vista Home Premium 32-bit Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU  T5300 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz
    Memory: 2.00 GB

I believe that is all that would be needed to help fix my problem, now onto the problem.

Just yesterday I bought windows 7 from that deal that sold it for 29:99 to college students. So I had to download the update. I downloaded both files (the ISO, and the other option(which one should I use?))
    Now when I click on the setup application, the tiny blue screen pops up and says "Check Compatibility Online" and "Install now". I click on the install now and it turns into a blue screen for around 5 seconds that says "Setup is copying temporary files" and then I get the the message & error code "Windows was unable to create a required Installation folder. Error Code: 0x80070005"

I really hate having to ask people how to help me fix my computer but I spent the last 8 hours searching for solutions online and have not found one.  I have tried running it from safe mode and still get the same problem. I have disabled my firewall & uninstalled my antivirus software. I have ran CCleaner to try to clean up my registry multiple times and it has yet to fix the problem.

I used the windows 7 upgrade advisor and it said that I can upgrade or w/e. I had the same problem when I tried to install the windows 7 beta but I just shrugged that off since I didn't really need it. This is basically the only big problem I have ever had with vista.

It would be sweet if someone could help me fix this problem. I hope I have provided enough information about my problem.

PS: Also, I would rather run a clean system installation if thats possible with just getting the update?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The error 0x80070005
     occurs if the upgrade has no permission to write certain folder. Try the following steps:

Reset permission
    ============

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

If same thing happens, let's move to the next step.

Run the upgrade by using the Built-in Administrator

================================

1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Copy the following command and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

5. Restart the computer and then log into the computer by this Administrator account.

6. Run windows 7 upgrade.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The error 0x80070005
     occurs if the upgrade has no permission to write certain folder. Try the following steps:

Reset permission
    ============

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo Finished.
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

If same thing happens, let's move to the next step.

Run the upgrade by using the Built-in Administrator

================================

1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Copy the following command and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

5. Restart the computer and then log into the computer by this Administrator account.

6. Run windows 7 upgrade.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:01 AM
  • I have done all this properly, but i didn't help. Same error message again :-(
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Are you sure not trying to install 64 bit on 32 machine..? (Done it by mistake)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:38 PM
  • No, I am upgrading my Vista sp1, updated with all security patches and drivers, on Windows 7 32bit.I looked at many forums, but nothing seems to help.

Windows 7 upgrade advisor said there will be no compatibility problems with upgrading. Also disabled AVG, and tried with deleting folder $WINDOWS.~BT 

I also tried to upgrade some earlier version of Windows 7, and it stuckes with some other error!While checking compatibility, this error appears: verify that instalation sources are available, and restart the instalation. Error code 0xC0000005

I am not quiting of trying to upgrade, don't want do to clean installation becouse of principles. If Microsoft made it with upgrade option, I  want to test how it will work. 

Just hope so someone will find the solution.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:24 PM
  • hi

Just wondering did you ever find the soulution this problem?

im having the same exact trouble pls help?

Looking Forward

Best Regards

Gary

Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Can't we all just agree there is no fix? The code in Windows is so old it's almost impossible to fix anything. I'm giving up. This all started for me because I wanted to play NBA2k11 which is only available for Windows, I should also tell you that game doesn't work if you plan on saving your games. It crashes as soon as you press start.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thank it worked.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:30 AM
  • This didn't work for me either.
    Monday, September 02, 2013 5:19 AM