none
how to check if TRIM in win 7 is working

Question

• can anyone advise how to manually boot up the trim command to see if it is working in win 7?.  i have just updated my ssd firware so they will suposedly take advantage of TRIM.  considering the problems i have had with the manufacturer, i need to check for myself.  I have 6 ssd's in raid 0, and up to recently the manufacturer's firmware was such that trim would not see the array as a single drive so that is could apply trim.  with the latest firmware update that problem has supposedly been overcome, but i need to prove it.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• run (as admin)

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to share the following with you:

Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:17 AM
  • thank you for this Nicholas,  i remember there used to be a forum just for ssd questions.  i cant seem to find that anymore, other than th emisc section.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:07 AM
  • pls see next post
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:09 AM
  • i entered the fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify as suggested above.

got a 0 response, only thing is i got the same response on my wifes laptop that has a hdd.  is there any other way of proving trim is working?

this is my computer

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq348/sgtreasure/trim.png

this is my wifes computer

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq348/sgtreasure/loucomptest.png

hope u can help

Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Hi Nicholas and Peter,

This command worked for me and returned "0" for my Corsair P256 with the December 21 2009 firmware update to TRIM.

Thanks Nicholas.

Can you confirm that this means that TRIM is working?  Please refer to Peter's subsequent posts.

Thank you very much,
    Gwilym.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Keep getting-  FSUTIL requires that you have administrative privileges.  I am logged in as admin and have full control.. I right clicked the program and selected run as admin. 

Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:38 PM
  • I get the same thing john503, same with other windows admin apps.

However if you run these commands in 'Command prompt' it works somehow

Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:45 AM
  • If "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" returns a value of '0' that simply means that the operating system is configured to send TRIM commands to the SSD. It doesn't mean that it actually is sending those commands. The other thing you need to check is that the drive itself is ready to receive TRIM commands, which you can do as follows:

• Install and run Intel's SSD Toolbox program (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455)
    • Select your SSD and click "View Drive Information" (it doesn't matter whether it's an Intel SSD or some other brand)
    • In the "Word" column, scroll down to '169'; the description should be, "Data Set Management Support"
    • A couple of lines down from that, look for "Bit 0 - Data Set Management Supported"
    • If the Hex Value associated with that reads '1', the drive is ready to receive TRIM commands from the OS

That, along with the 'fsutil' command, should be sufficient to assume that TRIM is operating properly. I don't know of any command or program that can do a proper test to confirm it beyond that though.

Hope this helps! :)

Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:45 AM
  • if you right click on command prompt before and run as administrator then u should have np with the command fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Hux the program for the windows toolbox see's my drive's individually but is lost on the raid that their in, details is grayed out on my 223 gig raid0 but is see's my 2-120 gig ssd's after that.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:53 PM
  • run (as admin)

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

Running that query is meaningless. it only returns information if the OS supports TRIM. you still need the SSD firmware to support TRIM and additionally the motherboard's OROM needs that functionality (especially important when running RAID0).

try using this little program mentioned here, it actually tests if TRIM works or not, here's article on it, the download link is in it:

http://thessdreview.com/Forums/ssd-discussion/3181.htm

• Edited by fenixus Friday, April 05, 2013 2:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jordan Mills Friday, June 28, 2013 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 05, 2013 2:48 PM