none
how do I get a 32bit command line on a Windows 7 64 machine

Question

• I have an old executible that reformats a text file from line by line to continuous stream of text.  It works well in Windows XP from a command line but in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, an error message appears stating it is not compatible.  I tried to run it in Windows XP mode with no luck and I thought I would launch a 32bit command line but either I do not know how or that did not work either.  I am stuck with the current process for the next year so I really need to find a solution.

Gary

Gary Hemmer
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suspect this old application is incompatible with Windows 7, you could check the result by the following link:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

As a workaround, you could install Windows XP mode in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate to run this application.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:00 AM

All replies

• Gary,

Have you tried using c:\windows\syswow64\cmd.exe?

This should appear in your Task Manager as cmd.exe *32 as opposed to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe which will show up as just cmd.exe.

Russ

• Edited by Russ F-J Monday, October 31, 2011 5:17 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:04 PM
  • that is what my research told me to do but did not work either.  I have the .exe set to run in XP mode but no go either thank you for that suggestion though, I am appreciative of any help I can get!
    Gary Hemmer
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Do you have any more information on the "not compatible" error?  Anything in the Application logs / Event Viewer?  Is it possible that the incompatiblity is due to a dll not registering properly in the 64-bit environment?

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:20 PM
  • You are in the wrong forum.  I suspect that you have confused XP Mode (a virtual machine) with running software in XP Compatibility Mode, which is not within the scope of this forum.  XP Mode provides an actual XP operating system.

Try the Answers forum at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_programs-windows_7?page=1

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect this old application is incompatible with Windows 7, you could check the result by the following link:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

As a workaround, you could install Windows XP mode in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate to run this application.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:00 AM