none
"Run-time Error "5": Invalid Procedure Call or Argument" when starting application RRS feed

• Question

• I tried installing an old custom accounting application on Windows 7 and it won't run.

I then tried using the "simpleprogramdebugger" and here are the last few lines when the error was encountered:

Event Time

Event Type

Thread ID

Memory Address

Filename

More Information

00:00.6

Load DLL

0x74cc0000

C:\Windows\system32\rsaenh.dll

00:00.7

Exception

0x755e812f

Exception Code: 0xc000008f, Parameters: , 0xdeadcafe, 0xdeadcafe

00:00.7

Load DLL

0x74400000

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\comctl32.DLL

00:02.8

Exception

0x755e812f

Exception Code: 0xc000008f, Parameters: , 0xdeadcafe, 0xdeadcafe

Exit Thread

Exit Code: 0x00000000

Exit Process

Exit Code: 0x00000000

Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The MONITOR told that the hhes3.exe is trying to query wing.dll,wing32.dll  qtim32.dll and WAVMIX16.dll which cannot be found on your system. See:

And wing.dll is a very old Windows 3.11 DLL, more information regarding this, please check this thread:Wing.dll could not be found,

As you told that this application could be run on another PC running Windows 7 Premium, could you please also have a share with the log running on that PC?

From the result it seems that this application is not compatible with your OS current version. So if you want to run this application, we could run it in an XP virtual box, or we might try with XP mode.

Hope this might help

Best regards

Michael

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Uncle John 56 Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:59 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the issue run time error 5, this is mostly caused by corrupted registry or some virus might block the application.

So please first check with the application provider to see if the application here applies to Windows 7; If it is compatible, then please take a try to install it in clean boot, if still doesn't work, please run SFC to check the system files, run process monitor and upload us the log, also the event log from Event Viewer.

Best regards

Michael

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Michael:

Thanks for your help. The application provider no longer supports this application. However my colleague successfully uses it on Windows 7 Premium. I have Windows 7 Professional.

I tried clean boot but that had no effect.

I ran SFC and everything checked out OK.

I have Avira Free Antivirus protection. I disabled Real-Time Protection. No change.

I downloaded and installed Process Monitor (ProcMon).  

Following are links to 3 log files:

All processes running and attempted to start HHES3.exe: http://1drv.ms/1cb0RoA

All processes running but Avira Real-Time Protection disabled and attempted to start HHES3.exe: http://1drv.ms/1hmalSg

All processes running with view filtered to include start of HHES3.exe: http://1drv.ms/1cb0Pgx

Regards,

John

Technet says I can't include links in this text until they've verified my account. How can I share the files with you?

• Edited by Uncle John 56 Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:27 AM Included links to files
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

Just copy and paste the link from IE address bar, select all the link and then click the icon of Remove Hyperlink.

We couold put some extra information:

Example:

Run - time error 5

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d0cb2533-4e1f-4340-b6f8-6cfdca9fd137/runtime-error-5-invalid-procedure-call-or-argument-when-starting-application?forum=w7itproappcompat

Best regards

Michael

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Thanks for your advice. I've edited by previous message to include the URLs for the files.
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

The MONITOR told that the hhes3.exe is trying to query wing.dll,wing32.dll  qtim32.dll and WAVMIX16.dll which cannot be found on your system. See:

And wing.dll is a very old Windows 3.11 DLL, more information regarding this, please check this thread:Wing.dll could not be found,

As you told that this application could be run on another PC running Windows 7 Premium, could you please also have a share with the log running on that PC?

From the result it seems that this application is not compatible with your OS current version. So if you want to run this application, we could run it in an XP virtual box, or we might try with XP mode.

Hope this might help

Best regards

Michael

• Marked as answer by Uncle John 56 Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:59 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 9:49 AM
  • I did have a brief look at XP mode about a week ago and thought I couldn't use it since the hardware in my EEEPC didn't support XP virtual box. At your suggestion I had another look and noticed that a patch is available that gets you around the hardware support issue.

Thanks for your help. I think I should be OK know.

Regards,

John

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:58 AM
  • XP Mode hasn't solved the problem.

Here's a link to the logfile: http://1drv.ms/1fF52Ms

Hope someone can help...

• Edited by Uncle John 56 Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:48 PM Linked to the wrong file
    Monday, March 3, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I'm not a programmer but it seems there is a problem with access to HKCU and HKLM .... 
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:23 PM