Microsoft Office 2010 Incompatible With Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Question

• Hello,

How can I get Microsoft Office 2010 programs to work on my computer with a Windows 8 consumer preview OS?
    I get an error message saying: "Your operating system is not presently configured..."

Regards,
    Sami

Sami Al Sharif

Saturday, March 03, 2012 1:46 PM

Answers

• You need to reinstall Office 2010. When you install W8, it did not do a
    traditional upgrade. All your programs were moved to windows.old.

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:46:14 +0000, SamiAlSharif wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello,
    >
    >How can I get Microsoft Office 2010 programs to work on my computer with a Windows 8 consumer preview OS?
    >I get an error message saying: "Your operating system is not presently configured..."
    >
    >
    >Regards,
    >Sami
    >
    >
    >Sami Al Sharif

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

• Marked as answer by SamiAlSharif Friday, March 16, 2012 7:16 AM
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:03 PM
  • The only unusual behaviour I noticed till now was onenote witch the message that it needs system access to configure some stuff for online functionality (and afterwards UAC asking if I'm ok with this.).
    I never new that office 2010 has some sort of 2007 mode, so I don't know how to notice if office is running int his mode, but I can't see any differences.
    Upgraded Windows 7 64bit installation with windows 8. Office installed with windows 7 Installation.

Seems to work witout a problem.

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:53 PM
  • I did an in place upgrade as well.  Office works, but it is working only in compatibility mode.  2010 features of office, onenote in particular, are working in 2007 mode.  Also, it doesn't recognize the eraser pen input as it did before.  Funny thing is that the eraser is recognized in my Artrage application, but not in any native windows apps.  Go figure.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:52 AM

All replies

• You need to reinstall Office 2010. When you install W8, it did not do a
    traditional upgrade. All your programs were moved to windows.old.

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:46:14 +0000, SamiAlSharif wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello,
    >
    >How can I get Microsoft Office 2010 programs to work on my computer with a Windows 8 consumer preview OS?
    >I get an error message saying: "Your operating system is not presently configured..."
    >
    >
    >Regards,
    >Sami
    >
    >
    >Sami Al Sharif

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

• Marked as answer by SamiAlSharif Friday, March 16, 2012 7:16 AM
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:03 PM
  • An in-place upgrade from Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 8 CP 64bit successfully migrated Office 2010 on my system.

Regards,

TonyW

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Do you try to use a Click%Run based Office version like Office Starter? This doesn't work until the Click & Run engine is Windows 8 compatible.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:45 PM
    Answerer
  • I did an in place upgrade as well.  Office works, but it is working only in compatibility mode.  2010 features of office, onenote in particular, are working in 2007 mode.  Also, it doesn't recognize the eraser pen input as it did before.  Funny thing is that the eraser is recognized in my Artrage application, but not in any native windows apps.  Go figure.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:52 AM
  • The only unusual behaviour I noticed till now was onenote witch the message that it needs system access to configure some stuff for online functionality (and afterwards UAC asking if I'm ok with this.).
    I never new that office 2010 has some sort of 2007 mode, so I don't know how to notice if office is running int his mode, but I can't see any differences.
    Upgraded Windows 7 64bit installation with windows 8. Office installed with windows 7 Installation.

Seems to work witout a problem.

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:53 PM

• Thank you everyone for your support and assistance… I appreciate it!

Sami Al Sharif

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:17 AM
  • I'm just downloading Office 2010 again - fingers crossed that it works.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:54 PM
  • An in-place upgrade from Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 8 CP 64bit successfully migrated Office 2010 on my system.

Regards,

TonyW

Office 2010 (x32) migrated from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and works just fine in Windows 8 Pro (RTM) as well.

Regards,

TonyW

Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:06 PM